A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,928
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Great Vintage knittables  (Read 10022 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 15, 2004 04:19:38 PM »

Ok, folks, I was at the Goodwill today and found two wonderful vintage booklets of great knittable crafts and clothes.  Now then, I don't knit.  But I bought these just for you all who do.  I don't have my digital camera right at the moment, but I can, if you like, list the projects, and if anyone wants instructions for a given thing, I can post them by typing.  (I'm a fast typer) and try and post the pics as soon as possible.

One is "Gifts and Novelties by Mary Maxim,"and appears to be late 50's or early 60's with everything from poodle tea cozies to angora collars, fingerless hunting mitts to a totally chic mohair stole.  (The little cliparts in this one are fabulous!)

The other is a wonderful late 80's Patons Jacket and Coat Collection book.  It has a couple of patterns that are just to die for!  A great low-cut, wide-collar, double-breasted short jacket in contrasting colors, that looks like 50's retro styling, a mid-calf length, double-breasted trenchcoat style with belt, and a great knee-length aran with giant collar and cuffs.  Oh man, I would LOVE some of these things!!

Anyway, these things are so wonderful.  Wish I could post pics of some of them right now.  Wish I could knit, because this short jacket is simply the bomb.  Like I said, if you're interested, I'll let you know the entire lists, get some pics taken and give instructions.

PS:  I also picked up some great vintage kneedlework kits, both complete, from the early 1980's.  One's a pillow, the other could be anything.  They're pretty, and if anyone's interested, let me know.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004 04:28:29 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
abricot
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004 04:38:28 PM »

I am so horribly jealous right now! I never find neat vintage knit/needle work things at my local thrift store...  Shocked and it's ironic since I was digging through my knitting book collection the other day thinking I need more patterns for coats and novelties... aha!

You lucky gal, maybe you should take this as a sign that you should learn how to knit...  Wink

but I'd be interested in instructions for the items from the knit books, I know it'd be a lot of work for you to duplicate the instructions for all of us, so maybe I could knit you a little something in return for you being such a fantastic gal that spoils us with her thrift store finds...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004 06:25:14 PM »

Well, then.  I'll list the contents, and you tell me what you'd like me to start stranscribing first.  (I might take you up on the offer to knit me something, but I'll try to stay clear of choosing the trenchcoat...)   Wink

"Gifts and Novelties by Mary Maxim"
twosisters.lothruin.com/crafts1.jpg
twosisters.lothruin.com/crafts2.jpg

Afghan:  chevron stripes

Angora Collars:  Lovely little Donna-Reed-Esque collars to go on finely knit sweaters, one in diamonds, one ribbed stripes.

Angora Headband and Mitts:  The headband is more like a bonnet or scarf, tied under the chin.  The mitts are just that.

Beret:  Angora fuzzy berets.  Really pretty and still fashionable.

Boys and Girls Hats and Mitts:  The boys is a typical pompomed stocking cap and matching mittens in what I believe is cable knit.  The girls is again a bonnet style.

Cushion Covers:  Three patterns for 12in pillow covers.

Fair Isle Knitting Bag:  This has the fair isle zigzagged stripes.  It's a square-bottomed bag with a lid.

Golf Club Covers:  Striped golf socks with pompoms.  Gotta love 'em!

Hunting Mitts:  Two styles:  One with no fingers, the other are regular mittens, only with a finger for the trigger finger.

Ladies Cardigan or Pullover:  Two sweaters, same basic pattern:  A V-neck sweater vest, or a sleeveless cardigan.

Maxie the Clow Fun Mitts:  Scary clown face patterned mittens.  "Can't Sleep, Clown'll Eat Me" type scary!

Pixie Slipper Sox:  Low slippers with pompoms on the toes, in three sizes.

Shrugs:  Beautiful 60's style shrugs, like a shawl only it looks like two patterns have cuffs.  They are lovely, almost lacey little things.

Sno-Mask:  A weird-lookin' ski mask.

Snowie the Owl:  A mohair owl toy.

Stole:  Gorgeous!  I want one!  This thing is a beautiful angora stole.  So glamorous!

Striped Knitting Bag:  A wide knitted bag.

Tea Cozies:  The poodle is tall, like for a coffee pot, the other is squat and has flowers all over the top.  Kinda makes a teapot look like the pumpkin carriage from Cinderella, only kitchy.

Toque for Men and Boys:  When I think of toques, I think of flappies for the ears.  These are more like stocking caps with fold-up rims.

Tunic Tops:  A pretty, striped, open front tunic, fairly square in the shoulders.

And the "Patons Jacket and Coat Collection"

City Sleek:  The short jacket, double breasted with low, wide collar.  Very sleek!  I love it.
twosisters.lothruin.com/citysleek.jpg

Sweet 'n Sassy:  A cardigan with pockets and collar, in a pattern.  Looks like little plusses and dotted stripes, with a wide band of a snowflake/argyle type pattern.
twosisters.lothruin.com/sweetnsassy.jpg

Stylish Simplicity:  Gorgeous, long cardigan/jacket with rolled cuffs and a wide ribbed collar that goes all the way to the waist, with double buttons partway down.
twosisters.lothruin.com/stylishsimplicity.jpg

Naughty But Nice:  Beautiful textured cardigan with big collar.
twosisters.lothruin.com/naughtybutnice.jpg

On the Shore:  Heavy ribbed/cable with wide collar and pockets, like you'd see in Maine.
twosisters.lothruin.com/bytheshore.jpg

Sophisticaed Sampler:  Longish cardigan/jacket with pockets and a mock-turtleneck type collar, with wide bands of four different textures.
twosisters.lothruin.com/sophisticatedsampler.jpg

Love That Aran:  AWESOME jacket with pockets, rolled cuffs and BIG collar with popcorn stitches.
twosisters.lothruin.com/lovethataran.jpg

Top Notch Trench:  A knitted trenchcoat.  I love it.
twosisters.lothruin.com/topnotchtrench.jpg

Attention to Detail:  This is a strange one.  Don't know how to describe it.  Got the mock T-neck collar and it's a cardigan style, with a strange texture.
twosisters.lothruin.com/attentiontodetail.jpg

Indian-Style Jacket:  This one is a basic zippered cardigan with a fabulous native american style motif.
twosisters.lothruin.com/indianstylejacket.jpg

Both these companies are still in business and probably sell the types of yarn called for in the patterns, or similar.  Just let me know what you want to start on first, and I'll get to typing.  And I promise, I'll try really hard to get pictures soon!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004 11:00:15 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

abricot
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004 07:40:16 PM »

It all looks so interesting it's hard to decided... but from the "Gifts and Novelties by Mary Maxim" book the first things that grabbed my attention was the Beret and the Shrugs... I don't think I could ever stand owning clown mittens, but I'd be curious to see just a picture... lol and from "Patons Jacket and Coat Collection" I think I am sold on the "City Sleek" jacket...

Oh and did I mention you are such a sweetheart for picking the books up with your fellow Craftsters in mind...  Grin

and PM me if you think of anything you'd like knitted... You are too cool for doing this!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2004 08:11:10 PM »

Ok, I'll get started on those right away.  I hope I'll be able to get pics up soon, as well.  

I love vintage, and I love crafts.  I have seen how a lot of you feel the same way, and just because I don't knit is no reason to deny you these patterns.   Wink  Plus, I love the pics.  So indicative of the styles of those times!

If they'd been crochet patterns, they'd have come home too, and I might actually have been able to use those.

I'll post a link to the patterns as soon as I get them retyped.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2004 09:59:03 PM »

Ok, the jacket is up.  I'll try to get pics up in the next few days.  I should mention, as I guess I didn't above, that the City Sleek pattern is for a somewhat fitted jacket.  That is fairly obvious from the name, but I wanted to make sure you knew.  I think it is the only really tailored-looking pattern in the booklet.

Go to:
http://twosisters.lothruin.com/knitap.html

I'll add links to this page each time I get a new pattern up.  Well, for appearal, that is.  I'll add the crafty patterns to the "For the Home" section, and let you know a link when and if you want them.  Just click the "City Sleek" link for the pattern, and soon, the pics.

PS:  The pic of this jacket shows it with a main color of navy blue and an accent of turquoise.  Patons still makes the Shetland Chunky yarn called for in the pattern.  You can find out who carries it at www.patonsyarn.com.  I might recommend this jacket be done in black with bright accents, perhaps their "Red Robin" or "Mango."  Or, "Deep Plum" with "Blue Jeans Verigated" or vice versa.  This could also look really fabulous in the "Harvest Verigated" with a black collar.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004 10:32:59 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004 10:26:00 AM »

Ok, I've got several patterns up.

Visit twosisters.lothruin.com/knitap.html to view the patterns available now.

Also, please see the above post that lists out the items, as I have added links to pictures of each item.  My domain is at Yahoo, so you have to copy and past the link into your browser, rather than just clicking on it, because Yahoo doesn't allow external linking.

AND, if you go to the page above, I've also scanned in some clipart from the older book that is just darned nifty!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004 10:53:03 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

halfjapanezegrl
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004 07:05:22 PM »

My mom recently bought me two vintage knitting pattern books she found used somewhere... I'll try to scan them in.  One has a ton of cute/retro hats and scarves... the other has some cool sweaters.  Both books are from 1968, I think.  
On a similar note, has anyone bought or tried any patterns from the Lion Brand Vintage book?  Is it worth buying?  

http://www.lionbrand.com/6030/PictPage/1922098381.html//6030/PictPage/1922098381.html?mall=%2Fstores%2Feyarn&itemKey=1922098381&store=%2Fstores%2Feyarn&catId=books&itemNo=1444
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DIY of all kinds.

My blog: http://www.atxdiy.com
hiptobeme
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2004 08:33:11 PM »

Ok if the offer still stands could I see the owl pattern I have a small obsession with owls and sheeps Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Taking a break from Craftster so I can finish up my swaps!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2004 09:15:28 PM »

Sure.  I actually have a second vintage book, somewhat later though, (mid 1970's?) with another owl pattern.  I'll try to get them both up soon, if you like.  I have another request for a pattern from that same book, so will work on getting them both done in the next couple of days.  I'll let you know when they are available.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Roasted Turkey
How to Make Roasted Pork and Potted Vegetables
How to Make Biscuits and Frankfurters
How to Make a Low Country Boil
How To Carve A Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...