A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mickey & Minnie Mouse, Tinker Bell and Goofy  (Read 12119 times)
Tags for this thread: mickey_mouse , minnie_mouse , costume , costume_idea , halloween_costume , child_costume , craft_challenge_32_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dana_M_S
« on: November 02, 2008 06:00:31 PM »

I LOVE this challenge!  I wasn't able to submit it last time but I am so excited to participate!  I prefer home made costumes - so much more fun!

This is the first time we've dressed as a family.  It was inspired by my daughter's Minnie Mouse costume (which is store bought and not part of the contest, but the inspiration).  I bought this for my niece years ago and was so excited my daughter Autumn could wear it this year (she's 1).  My son Hunter (5) decided to be Mickey (yay!  I was sure I was in for a super hero).  I refused to may $50.00 for a black jacket and decided to make his costume myself. 

Mickey's pants are from Goodwill and I added the white "buttons."  I made his jacket from a black sweatshirt.  I added ribbon trim for the cuffs and collar.  For the vest I sewed in jersey knit and added buttons.  I decided he would be more comfortable if it wasn't a resticting jacket.  I made the bow tie from some yellow cotton fabric I had and sewed it onto the jacket/vest combo.  He is wearing a white polo shirt underneath.  I bought the ears. He's wearing his Hulk shoes (pick your battles!).

(sorry the photos aren't super-clear - I need to replace the camera)

Tinker Bell started as a REALLY UGLY green dress I got from a project I started called Project Prom (we take donated gowns and give them to girls who can't afford them).  We were cleaning house and I saw this dress.  In the photo below I had alreay cut out the lining (the dress was REALLY heavy) before I remembered to take the photo.  It was huge (I took in about 10 inches - although this photo stretches it even more for some reason).

I removed the two gathered rows in the front and the bow.  I had to take it in down the front because it was so large it was almost off my shoulders.  I took in both sides and both back darts.  To make the leafy bottom I gathered both layers.  I added dollar store wings and green tights I had to complete Tinker Bell.

My husband Jonathan was Goofy.  I bought the orange shirt but I made the rest from fleece fabric.  I used a scrubs pattern for the pants but I made the vest and hat without a pattern.

We had a great time dressing together this year and I loved making the costumes.  I hope you enjoy them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008 06:51:04 PM »

TOO cute..i wanna do the fab 5 after my newest nephew or niece is born, cos there will be 5 of us, but i would have to be a boy character (i dont like Minnie and there are 4 boys in the group anyway lol)

i love your tink costume and the goofy one the most! the goofy is unique and really close to the real thing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Dana_M_S
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008 09:41:24 AM »

Thanks!  I'm really proud of the Goofy hat because I totally winged it and I really like the way it turned out.

My niece and nephews were Dorothy, the Tin Man and the Scarecrow for Halloween.  I totally would have had the kids be the Lion and one of the witches if we didn't already have this planned.  Maybe next year!

Last year my kids were characters from Monsters, Inc.  Hunter was Sully and I turned his pumpkin into Mike and Autumn was Boo in her monster costume.  Most people didn't get it, but those who did loved it!  I bought Sully, transformed the pumpkin and made the Boo costume (put over a sleeper) without a pattern.  My daughter was not quite 2 months old.  My son was really into Monster's, Inc. when he was 3 and wanted to be ALL the characters so he was - he wore the Sully costume, I made the Mike pumpkin and bought a Boo doll.  The next year he wanted to be Sully again so I decided to make Autumn be Boo.  So much more fun than the black cat costume I bought her!

http://www.hispanianews.com/archive/2007/03/02/monsters_on_ice.jpg

The may not be super-original, but it's what my son wants, and that's what Halloween is all about for me.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008 07:32:42 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Please do not hotlink images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ssummerer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008 01:12:01 PM »

Adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008 03:12:43 PM »

thats so funny, cos we went as characters from the Wizard of Oz this yr

i lovr Sully and Boo, those are awesome too

my niece kinda looks like Boo, and her mom does her hair in the pig tails like her, its so cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Digital Camera Exposure Basics
Outdoor Photography Tips
Camera Aperture Tips
Digital Camera Shutter Speed
ISO Settings Explained
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...