How I became a female droog for one night, by Alexa de Large.
Love the movie - always have. Alex, despite being a teenaged raping misfit, is hot. Was invited to a Halloween party this year and decided to go as Alexa. The costume is relatively inexpensive to put together - IF you get lucky and know where to look. Unfortunately, I had to order the hat and suspenders from an online merchant, and pay top price, because they were nowhere to be found in my small town.Here's what you need and how much it cost me (your prices may vary):
- Black bowler hat/derby hat $25, from buycostumes.com (I found black derby hats at a local vintage costume shop for $12, but they were those amazing "one size fits all" make that didn't even come close to fitting on my head...way too small)
- Fake eyelashes $3, from a vintage costume shop
- White long-sleeved shirt $2 (thrift store)
- Bloody eyeball cuffs $3 ($2 for the stuffed kitty whose eyes I gouged out, $1 for fake vampire blood)
- White Y-back suspenders $12, from choosyshopper.com (I couldn't find white suspenders anywhere in my town)
- Short white skirt $2 (thrift store)
- White net stockings $7 (vintage clothing store)
- Black boots $0 (already had these)
- Walking cane or black stick (I didn't use this, but I saw some black plastic canes at a costume shop for $4)
I started with the bloody eyeball cuffs by searching through the big bins of stuffed animals at my local thrift store. Amazingly, 99% of stuffed animals have black beady eyes - not what I wanted. But then I found kitty:
What pretty blue eyes she has! I mean had.
I cut the eyes out with scissors and prepared the cufflink patches. Two rectangle pieces of white denim for the patches, with another circle of fabric sewed on and stuffed with standard pillow stuffing to make the white of the eyeball.
I glued the eyeballs on with a liberal amount of clear epoxy. The gooier, the better.
After the glue had dried, I turned on A Clockwork Orange and looked for the scene with the best shot of Alex's eyeball cuff. I think it's when he's pulling his pet snake out of the drawer. Then I artfully smeared fake vampire blood all around the eyeball and a bit beyond it.
Once dry, I sewed the patches on the cuffs of my white shirt and they looked like this:
Fake eyelash, glued along bottom of right eye only.
Welly welly welly welly well! Here it is all put together:
Later that night, I hooked up with the Droogs for a bit of the old ultra violence. Here we are right before I kicked Alex in the mummy:
(eyes blacked out due to my status as a secret agent Droog)
Hope this is useful for someone next year.