A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
737 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ruffley ruffley doll costume!  (Read 2696 times)
Tags for this thread: doll_costume , costume , craft_challenge_32_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 02, 2008 11:06:07 AM »

i made a halloween costume! as much as i love halloween, i haven't done anything for it the last couple of years, i just wasn't up to it, and i haven't made a complicated halloween costume in even longer. this one has LOTS of pieces (damn, peeing was a production!) i'm quite proud of myself!

i made this wig for a challenge a few years ago and i think i've worn it once since then (my friends have worn it more than i have!). i decided to make a costume to go with it, and actually get some use out of it!

i made everything except the shoes (which are from no sweat)! the hoodie, the skirt, the purse, the pinafore, the crinoline, the bloomers, and the tights. the hoodie and skirt are fleece, made out of a queen sized fleece blanket that i purchased for $20 (SO MUCH cheaper than fabric by the yard), the pinafore was made out of exactly 1 metre of fleece (i have two teensy strips left) that i purchased after searching my stash for anything purple and coming up empty handed, the crinoline is made out of a pink sheer from my stash, and purple lacey curtain fabric i found at the thrift store 2 days before i needed to wear it, the bloomers are 1 yard of flannelette that i already had, and the tights are a 4way stretch cotton/spandex blend that i bought for this purpose. the big goals of this costume were that it had to be WARM, since i was wearing it to the Parade of Lost Souls, which is an outside event, and that i really really didn't want to go all the way into vancouver to get any of the supplies! and it had to be pink and purple to match the wig.

the top of the wig, and a blurry shot of the back of the pinafore

the hoodie is based on my basic hoodie pattern, with the sleeves altered to be leg of mutton, the skirt is an almost circle skirt, made using this awesome skirt pattern calculator, the pinafore and crinoline were made up as i went along, and the tights are my basic tight pattern that i developed several years ago, but apparently i've never taken pictures of, and the purse is a pattern i made up ages ago, and i lined it in purple cotton so that the fleece wouldn't stretch.

i did the gathering on the hoodie and the skirt by hand, and then decided that it was totally ridiculous, i needed to use a ruffler foot, especially considering that i was running out of time to get the costume finished, and the crinoline would need A LOT of ruffling! i knew i had one that a coworker had passed on to me, so i hauled it out, only to discover that it was for a high shank machine. ugh. so into the crawlspace i went and found ONE high shank machine. i have 9 or 10 sewing machines, and only ONE of them is high shank. so i hauled it into the studio, cleaned it off, opened up the bobbin case.... and realized it takes some strange shaped bobbin, very low and wide, which i didn't have. argh! i sent my sister a frantic e-mail asking her to call me the next morning. at 7:15 the next morning my phone rang, yes, she had a low shank ruffler foot, it was 60 or 70 years old, an accessory for her singer featherweight, but it should work.

and huraay, it fit! i gathered up the ruffle for the pinafore, and it was great. and then i started on the crinoline. urgh. my needle kept breaking, it was making bad sounds... so i called around, and it was determined that i really should have been using an actual brother brand ruffler foot, and that continuing to use the singer foot, even if i could get the needle to stop breaking, might throw my machine out of alignment, which i definitely didn't want! so off i went to the brother dealer, and came home with less room on my visa card, and a new ruffler foot. damn, this thing is so cool!

i finished the pinafore, crinoline and tights on friday, and cut out the purse and the bloomers. saturday morning i slept in, then got up and finished the bloomers and the purse, and decided to add pockets to the pinafore to hold my camera and stuff, so did those as well. i finished the costume, including hand sewing the buttons on, by about 2:30, and i didn't even have to leave the house until 5! i was quite impressed with myself, actually. Wink

(eyes and cheeks are facepaint, lips are l'oreal infallible in garnet - i hated the colour for everyday wear and gave it to my sister, but i borrowed it back for halloween!)

and it worked wonderfully. it was a really great night, just a little bit brisk, my face was a little cool, but the rest of me was cozy warm! if you'd like to see some the fabulous costumes i saw that night (cupcake! yip yips!), or some of the fabulous shrines, feel free to check out my blog.

thanks!

EDIT: i was trying to figure out how much i spent on it, so i figured i'd add that here as well -
pink fleece blanket - $20
purple fleece - $9
perfect pink vintage buttons - my stash
elastic for waistbands - stash
zipper for hoodie - stash
pink sheer - stash
purple lacey curtain fabric - $3
flanelette - stash
pink 4 way stretch cotton - $11

so the total was about $43, plus taxes. and lots of thread! i had pink and purple serger thread, but i didn't have sewing thread (i'm a thread snob!). i probably spent $10 on thread, because i ran out of the pink and had to go buy more. so around $50, which was more than i was planning to spend, but there are multiple parts that i'll wear as regular wardrobe items.

and the new ruffler foot was about $50 with taxes, which was definitely an unexpected expense, but i'll  use it forever now, so i'm not really including it. i anticipate lots of ruffles in my future! 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008 11:37:20 AM by crafty_dame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
Rae-mazing

But it's better if you do.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008 11:20:29 AM »

That is so cute!!! The wig sets is off amazingly well. I would totally wear it! Even if it wasnt halloween...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps! I always need fabric, findings/notions, and cute handmade things!

www.wastedwishes.et sy.com

www.wastedwishes.bl ogspot.com
jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008 11:28:07 AM »

You never cease to amaze me!!!!!!! You did such an awesome job on this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
craftydame

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008 11:30:18 AM »

thanks to both of you!

Rae_mazing, i definitely plan to wear parts of it regularly. the petticoat can be worn with other things, i'm sure the footless tights will become a regular wardrobe staple, and i specifically made the "dress" in two parts, because i KNEW i'd never wear a big pink fleece dress, but i'll definitely wear the fleece hoodie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FruityLoops

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008 12:00:14 PM »

Awesome cool costume Grin  I tried to do the doll look last year (albeit zombie doll) and it didn't look one tiny tiny iota as good as yours does I gotta say!!!  Your wig is awesome, I particularly like that you used crinkley wool, works really well.  Loving the dress too obviously, and the fact that you made a matching bag!!

And I totally want some bloomers now... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008 12:12:10 PM »

thanks! the yarn wig DEFINITELY makes the costume! i love the wool i used, i have a whole bunch more too, i've been hoarding it!

bloomers are SUPER easy! they're just like pj pants!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FruityLoops

... and that's why I don't like cricket

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008 01:09:39 PM »

Ooooh excellent, I've been on a pj pant making spree lately so I'm totally making some bloomers now!!  Thanx for totally inspiring me there Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karin_

Swedish craftster!

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008 03:52:06 AM »

You are so cute! I want a mini doll version of you Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008 11:23:14 AM by karin_ » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog
My wist
would love to do a personal swap/atc swap! pm me Smiley
camilaustral

Saludos desde Chile!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008 11:54:00 AM »

haha cute!
wow so many details!
the wig is awesome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftydame

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008 09:36:05 PM »

thanks! it was so much fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Flat Iron
Hair Color Advice
Learn How to Backcomb Your Hair from the Experts
Learn How to Flat Iron Curl Your Hair
Learn How to Create the Perfect Ponytail
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...