A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
514 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafting for teens with cancer  (Read 2493 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

super geek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005 04:06:51 PM »

Forgot to tell you guys...
A week ago, I donated 14 inches of dark brown hair to locks of love. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005 04:23:55 PM »

I would love to help! I can knit, crochet & sew. I lost my cousin Tommy (who was more like a brother to me) to brain cancer (it started as skin cancer and spread to his brain within months).

I also grow my hair out every 2-3 years and donate it to locks of love.

So, keep me posted on what you decide!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
super geek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005 04:25:32 PM »

OK, I'm starting on Friday.  Going to the fabric store and getting some nice fabric.  Does anyone know any chairitys that take hats?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005 05:56:05 PM »

i have a hat that belonged to my late grandmother. gail was the biggest influence on my life, and that red cowboy hat is so comforting to me, just seeing it reminds me of her and makes me cry. being a woman and bald is a humiliating experience especially for teen agers who are already going through a difficult and apperance weighted time. we take something as little as our hair for granted, but what do you feel like when your hair is greasy and completely out of place, embarrassed, self concious.  i really hope we can get alot of people involved in this one. its somethign we can do for someone, and possibly the ones they leave behind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
hamrsark
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005 08:48:30 PM »

If you want some COOL knitted hats, try...
http://sepwww.stanford.edu/sep/jon/family/jos/toessel/
It's called "Yossel's Toessels" and they are SUPER simple and really FUNKY!  Grin
Once in just go to the bottom and click "HATS" and it will take you to where the patterns are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elephantcrazy
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005 11:52:05 PM »

I would love to help with this ( if my mom will let me )because I lost a sister to cancer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shmooey
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2005 11:26:57 PM »

Just to jump in here- and i dont mean to offend anyone at ALL- but i have very long hair, and people have told me time and time again i should hack it off and send it to locks of love. Aside from the fact that i would be in absolutle HORROR to cut my hair.... I have heard quite a few suspicious things about the Locks of Love organization. They get LOTS of hair donated to them.... and dont really turn out many wigs, considering what they take in. I realize it takes money and time to create these wigs, but there is definitly stockpiles of leftover hair that people have parted with out of the goodness of their heart.... and where does it go?

It doesnt seem like they reveal very much information about their organization, or rather, dont reveal enough to convince me. If i thought it was a good cause, they could probably use the money more than anything. Also ive heard people say that the organization tends to be.... picky? shall we say? About who they give out their wigs to...

Ive unfortunatly had allot of friends and co-workers and family friends that have had cancer- and really if you want to give a gift of hair, the best thing to do is to take things into your own hands.

I think these hats are a great idea, and very cute.  I cant wait to see what saussy ideas people come up with Smiley

Once again, i didnt want that to come off wrong- i just feel nervous about people doing something out of the goodness of their hearts, and possibly being taken advantage of. So just a word of warning is all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilgothkatt
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2005 03:58:37 AM »

I have an inoperable brain tumor lodeged in my optic chasm. I'm luck in that it is benign but I had brain surgeory when I was 12 just as I was starting Jr. high. I never had to go through chemo or any other after treatment but I can sympotize with those who have. This december will be my ten year mark and as far as I know I'm still okay. I lost vision in my right eye from the surgeory but all in all I feel I am very lucky. I don't know how much help I can be as I now have a number of other medical conditions but when you find out more let us know and I will do what I can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonke ys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
knitster88
aka christinanne

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch cherry bomb

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2005 02:28:19 PM »

shmooey, id never heard anything bad about locks of love, but i understand how they could have problems. it takes about fifteen pony tails to make one wig, and thats not including the money to make them or the time. i really hope that theyre a sound organization, i spent two years growing that damn hair. my beautiful blonde hair......sigh. let me tell you, the sound of them hacking through the thick ponytail is the worst ever. its like a saw.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look what youve done to me now, youve made me perfect
corinne_x3
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2005 08:17:00 PM »

Head Huggers collects hats and distributes them to hospitals for people who have cancer. You can check out their site at www.headhuggers.org
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Guide to Mehndi Henna Designs
Scott Dadich on the Law of Optical Volumes
Swiss Design: Built to Last
Conveying Passion and Feeling with Movement
Dutch Design Tip: Focus on the Story Behind the Product
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...