A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,105
Currently Running With Scissors:
591 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vampire Knight Manga day class costume  (Read 6910 times)
Tags for this thread: vampire , craft_challenge_32_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muria
« on: November 05, 2008 12:13:14 PM »

It doesn't compare to some of the brilliant costumes that were entered, but I still wanted to share the result of almost all of my crafting time for the last two weeks.  My daughter loves anime and manga. Last year, she offered to buy the fabric if I would make her a Vampire Knight costume. She bought the fabric back in January, along with a jacket pattern ( Burda 7878 ), and, knowing how much work was going to be involved, I procrastinated.  Fast forward to October (past a lot of pathetic 14 year old whining over the last 9 months or so). I finally sat down and altered the pattern. So here it is:

Oh, and here's the picture I went off of:

You'll notice a lot of detail on the jacket. Pesky things like piping. We bought fabric to do the piping. But then the thought occurred to me that there's no way I'd get all of them exactly the same width (I'm not a quilter. Accuracy is not my strong point.). So instead, I used my handy zig zag stitch (set to about the density of buttonhole stitching):

This took probably 4 hours, beyond the actual construction of the jacket (not including drawing the lines on the jacket so there was a chance I didn't get them completely crooked. Since I used a bar of ivory soap, I had to redraw them. I considered this a bonus, as it guaranteed that the lines weren't permanent if I did them wrong somehow).

There's a skirt, too, that used Simplicity 4188. That one got started back in May, in a different fabric. It was declared to be too wide, and tossed in a corner until two weeks ago (yes, that declaration is part of why I waited so long).  However, DD has hidden it, and I don't know where it is. It's an 8 panel skirt with godets (think black cheerleader-style skirt, around knee length, and you're on the right track).  Fortunately, the author of the manga didn't think to put more piping on the skirt as well. 

Unfortunately, DD refused to let me take her picture at any time while she was wearing it,  so I had to resort to hanger shots, especially since this is the last day to enter the contest.

Hope somebody likes it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
cursive_queen
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008 01:26:49 PM »

Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008 09:21:52 AM »

sweet I have a serious love for Vampire Knight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008 01:41:34 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
magdalen

an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008 09:34:16 PM »

Wow, that looks amazing! I love Vampire Knight and would adore a costume like that- your daughter is very lucky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

magdalen.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Lion
How to Sketch Charlie Brown
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Cat
How to Sketch Tweety Bird
How to Draw an Angry Manga Face
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...