A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,160
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some encouragement for wannabe quilters  (Read 2234 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anniefee
« on: November 02, 2008 04:44:04 AM »

It's not as hard as I feared!

A month ago my husband and I got a baby shower invitation from some sweet friends of ours who live many states away. There wasn't any way we'd be able to go, so some handmade gifts mailed were in order. Usually I make a baby sling and buy something from their registry or something. I wanted to do something more this time. What else to do than make a baby quilt? Even when you've NEVER quilted before?

It turned out not so bad! I found a group of colors I liked (they're having a boy) and sewed them all together, first in twos then in fours and then in strips and then strips together. For the quilting itself, I made little stars in the blue and plaid squares and "stitched in the ditch" on the green squares.

I discovered quilting really only requires patience, time, and creative forethought, all of which I'm running low on lately (um, always). But the end product is pleasing and useful, and really, what more could a quilt want? Smiley

The binding is so not perfect.....far away from perfect. I'm not very good at binding. But it covers everything it should (mostly...there's a little corner where some of the flannel I used for the back doesn't quite meet up with the batting and quilt top, i don't know why because it matched up when i pinned it all together, but i sewed a little heart over that space and i think it looks cute) and doesn't look too too terrible.

All in all, minus the binding, this was a great (and easy!) introduction to quilting. For a scaredy-cat like me. It's not the most complicated quilt, or even the most dynamic first quilt, but I like it.

To those who want to try quilting but are too intimidated to do so - go forth and quilt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." Teddy Roosevelt

http://annieisabel.etsy.com
A2K
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

arf arf!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008 05:05:25 AM »

This is great!  I love the star quilting and the colors you chose -- very woodsy and cozy.  Your friends will treasure this. 

I made a quilted bag yesterday -- my first every quilting project -- it turned out GREAT and I enjoyed the process.  I agree with you that folks who have never quilted just need to jump in and give it a try!  I used a tutorial booklet that gave me a couple of tips! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinab363
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008 05:19:47 AM »

I think your quilt is lovely.  Nicely done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grandbabies are called grandbabies because they are GRAND!
Deece in MN
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008 05:44:37 AM »

That is really cute!

If you continue to make quilts, make your backing a little bigger (a couple inches on each side is good) than the top because it sometimes "sucks in" as you are quilting.  Then you can trim it when you are done and this should help to keep everything lined up and even.

It is a very nice gift that I am sure your friends will enjoy.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplySandy
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008 08:46:21 AM »

I like the idea of adding the heart to cover up the backing situation.  Someone once told me, problems just become opportunities and if you can't fix it, feature it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hollydaze

Best things I ever made.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008 11:32:06 AM »

anniefee, your quilt is wonderful, and it was a great idea to send for the baby shower.  I like the idea of adding the heart to turn the flaw into a feature too.  I still haven't quilted the top I made (I missed the follow up class to the beginning class I took).  Thanks for the encouragement to try finishing it on my own!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're not totally at the mercy of the wind, or of life.  Wind is essentially a chaotic phenomenon, but you can still sail in it.
dancingrabbit
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008 11:16:44 PM »

I think you did a wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anniefee
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008 06:43:31 PM »

thanks so much, everyone!

the little heart on the back is my favorite bit, i think, aside from the stars. i like the idea of 'featuring' an imperfection, rather than struggling with fixing it and making it worse. Smiley

hollydaze, i totally think you should finish yours on your own!

deece, thanks for the advice. i tried to do that, but i guess i didn't pay as much as attention as i should have, because it definitely got 'sucked in' and ended up not matching up. i will make sure that doesn't happen next time!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." Teddy Roosevelt

http://annieisabel.etsy.com
fruity75
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008 05:05:31 AM »

Wonderful job! You should be proud Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Arizona Quilter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008 07:07:03 AM »

In quilting, anything that didn't turn out right is called a humility block.  I say it just goes to prove that it is homemade and not store bought.  If it was perfect no one would believe you made it.  Quilting isn't hard like you said it just requires patience.  You did a great job for your first attempt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Face Painting Tips
The Hottest Beauty Trends
Solutions for Summer Skin Issues
Halloween Makeup Tutorial: Moulin Rouge Dancer
How to Pick the Perfect Nude Nail for You
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...