A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Crafty hipsters" in Southern Maine?  (Read 8309 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RaeAmazon

The Amazon Woman of North America

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2005 04:53:04 AM »

I was just reading some of the boards and getting insanely jealous that I do not have a craft group.  I almost cried, until I realized I could do something about it rather than mope over my misfortune in being born in a state of generally art/fashion-unconscious people.  So is there anyone out there (on here) that lives in southern Maine?  Please, I'm gonna be driven out of my mind by covetousness!

I'm really not as crazy/desperate as I sound; I'm exaggerating for comic effect.  Thanks  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a writer but I still believe this:

Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flamethrower.
Unschooling*Mama
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005 05:07:54 AM »

I live in Southern Maine! 

Jessie
http://bellablue.typepad.com/bellablue/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RaeAmazon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005 07:17:12 AM »

I live in Southern Maine! 

Jessie

Whereabouts?  Oh, and your website is great, your kids are adorable, and your crafts are gorgeous! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SouleMama
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005 07:35:37 AM »

I'm here, too! We live in Portland.

RaeAmazon...are you near Portland...do you knit or do any handwork? There's a Stitch N Bitch in Portland that meets every other week, I think.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/maine_stitchnbitch/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RaeAmazon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005 07:45:28 AM »

I got to school in Portland actually, USM.  I do crochet, though not very imaginitively!  Smiley  It's actually my goal to move to Portland in the next 2 yrs or so!  Well, that's pretty cool, though, that you guys live in Portland.  That's only an hour from me! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unschooling*Mama
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005 10:48:19 AM »

We actually moved to Auburn from the Portland area last October (where you can buy twice the house for half the price!). I haven't really found any like-minded people in my area but we've been cooped up all winter so.... maybe when the warmer weather comes we'll get out and about more!

Where are you located?
Jessie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RaeAmazon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005 11:37:35 AM »

Yeah, winter in Maine means hang out in the house!  I live in Berwick, right on the border of ME and NH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unschooling*Mama
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005 03:44:35 PM »

Cool! I have a friend in Berwick. I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be funny if you were her." but then realized you would have recognized the pic of my girl.

Smiley
Jessie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GoatHerder
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005 12:37:18 PM »

I'm in the Brunswick area and recently all my crafty friends moved away:(  Navy...(not me, them) But I do miss crafting with others, especially knitting.  Cry

But anyway... Anyone know of an SnB group (that always sounds so bad to me) in this area? Or any kind of craft group for that matter, lol. I guess being cooped up with my chillin' folk this winter has gotten to me... I'm rambling...

Cheesy
a
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SouleMama
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2005 01:49:57 PM »

The Stitch N Bitch directory (stitchnbitch.org) only lists the Portland one, but surely there must be one in Brunswick--have you asked at Halcyon Yarns? (that's in Bath, right?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GoatHerder
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2005 03:39:10 PM »

Yes, Halcyon is in Bath...too close for my wallet's liking, lol. I will have to ask them. OR.....maybe organize one myself? I'm only 35 min from portland, so it might be worth it to get out for an evening.

Grin
a
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sos_1952
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005 12:00:28 PM »

I live in Southern Maine.  Sanford, Alfred, Lyman, Waterboro area

sos_1952@yahoo.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006 09:06:49 AM »

I live in Oxford, twenty minutes away from Auburn and an hour north of Portland up Rt. 26.   I do lots of things badly, but mostly crochet, sewing and scrapbooking.   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
jellybones
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006 10:58:53 AM »

I dont live in southern maine but my boyfriend does so im always looking for an excuse to go down there.
Crafty groups? LET ME KNOW.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

is this it?
stoliedina
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006 10:10:18 PM »

Hey all I'm a friend of RaeAmazon's and I'm hosting a craft up at my apartment on 7/22. I'm not in Maine, but southern NH, North Hampton to be exact. If anyone is interested, PM me.

Skulks back to NH boards...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
unsay
nemo me impune lacessit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006 01:59:03 PM »

During the school year I live in Brunswick.  I've just been getting into being crafty again after a long hiatus from when I was little, so I don't do much yet, but I'm looking to ease the strain on my wallet by making more of my own stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wysiwyg
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006 11:34:06 AM »

This is my first post here. I moved to Maine about two months ago from Boston and am still commuting there for work. I'm a graphic designer by trade and am into a little bit of everything else; painting, collage, metal fabrication, serigraphy, crochet, building little boxes and containers...

It'd be great to meet creative people in the area! I live in Berwick, right next to Somersworth, NH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RaeAmazon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2006 11:37:23 AM »

Hey, welcome Wysiwyg!  Funny thing, I just moved from Berwick to Dover this spring!  We should chat sometime and see if getting together would work out!  Yay!  Fun crafty friends!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargazersewer
Fat is not a 4 letter word.....

Oh, ma....let me sleep.....

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006 09:58:45 PM »

Hi!   I'm going to be Moving to Augusta January 6!   I'm actually very excited.  I would love to get to gether with other crafty people as I don't know anyone there. 
Are there any craft groups that meet in the area? 
Shawna
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lovely_dreamer_girl
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008 03:56:18 PM »

Okay, this thread is a bit on the old side, however, I saw it and nearly jumped up and down in glee.

I've been starting to do rather crafty things, I guess you could call me a crafter wanna-be? Anyway....I'm in Portland and trying to get my friends/co-workers, etc...excited about crafting as well...instead I keep getting strange looks. One person called me special Tongue

I'm happy there are other crafty people from this site around me! *yay!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stoliedina
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008 07:36:02 PM »

hey lovely dreamer! my hubby works in Portland. I looooooove Portland. It's about an hour north from where we live, but we're there often!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

lovely_dreamer_girl
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008 08:22:45 PM »

I love it too! So much to do! (Much more than I ever realized when I was younger!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kleinsch
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008 07:20:20 AM »

We just moved to North Berwick in Novemember '07, from (horribly foggy, ridiculously expensive) San Francisco.  I love, love, love our new home.  But I have met very few people, as I'm not working much yet, and my husband works at home.  My best friends are the gang at the Transfer Station, whom I see every week. Grin  So, I would really enjoy meeting other craftsters in Southern Maine.  Let's be in touch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more children are valued, the better their values will be.
stoliedina
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008 11:29:40 AM »

kleinsch - there's a gallery opening at Ello in Portsmouth on State St. on Friday night. They have art shows, but also sell crafty diy-er type goods and zines. Thought you might be interested, because that's kinda close! If you go, and you see me there say hello! I look like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/geekxnerd/sets/72157601845540976/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kleinsch
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008 07:02:13 AM »

Darn, I would love to go out Friday night, but I have a huge standardized test I have to take on Saturday morning at UNH.  (My California teaching certification does not transfer to Maine, so I have to take about $400 of Praxis tests...bleh!!  Especially considering I took the same tests in California. What a rip off.)
But, usually Friday nights are free around here, so I'll make plans for next time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlosun_9
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008 06:34:47 PM »

I am from central Maine (near Augusta) . . . although I don't get out much except for work and stuff for the kiddos.

I can empathize with the expensive tests.  It is almost like the state of Maine asks me to take a new one each year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kleinsch
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008 10:34:06 AM »

Whew, that test is now done!   Smiley Three more to go...next one is in April.  I am spending the rest of today crocheting and scrapbooking.  (I actually detest scrapbooking, but I have to make one for a special 13 year-old.  I made one for her sister when she turned 13, so I can't very well get out of this one.) 

Do any crafters in Southern Maine have much experience with ripple crochet stitches?  I found a pattern that looks lovely, but I can't seem to get it to increase/decrease as required by the pattern.  Huh I'm stuck, and feeling stranded out here in the boonies. 

PS: Will some long-time or native Mainers tell me when we will start to see buds on the trees?  This is my first Maine winter...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lacydcee
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2014 06:29:52 PM »

Not a hipster and only a wee bit crafty but i do live in Southern Maine. I live in Auburn. Moved here from Atlanta a couple years ago. Started making stuff to ease the boredom that accompanied that change in lifestyle. Would love to meet other creative types that understand my love hate relationship with glitter and my need to hoarde pretty fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Elle Newmark
Meet Author Sandra Gulland
Meet Author Michael Katakis
Meet Author Carlos Fairs
Anthony McCarten Talks About Show of Hands
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...