A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,530
Currently Running With Scissors:
361 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bobbin trouble with old Singer (model 347)?  (Read 5288 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

marigolds
« on: October 26, 2008 11:20:15 AM »

OK, I accidentally posted this in general discussion and questions, and obviously it should be in sewing machine discussion and questions.  So i'm going to ask the same question here (nobody kill me, I'm new here!)

So here's the problem: I think I have everything threaded right, followed the manual etc - but when I go to catch up the bobbin thread with the needle, instead of it pulling the bobbin thread up into a loop, the top thread is getting caught down into the bobbin works somehow.  It *seems* like a tension issue (maybe the bobbin tension is too tight?) but I thought I would ask the experts before I went messing around with stuff.  (So my result when I try to sew is the same as the usual backwards-bobbin trouble - an almost immediate snarly knot in my fabric - but I'm almost positive I have the bobbin in right according to my manual.)

Help? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marigolds
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008 04:37:09 AM »

Well, we messed around with tension (top and bottom) and threaded and REthreaded (top and bottom) and it seems to work now!  Yay! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008 05:03:19 AM »

Ah....the dreaded thread nests and wads on the underside!

Want to know hwy that happened?

Thread nests on the underside of your fabric are almost always the direct results of improper threading or a problem in the thread path or upper tension.

Let's first look at what is actually happening in the stitch formation process to cause these wads of thread.  Ideally, the thread should form a neat coil (stitch) in the "center" of your fabric. When you get these thread wads on the underside, that is telling you that for some reason, the upper thread is NOT pulling up the bobbin thread and forming that snug, balanced stitch.....

Here is the recommended check list for solving this problem

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
marigolds
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008 07:04:33 AM »

THANK YOU!  I'm going to go through this checklist step by step as soon as I get home today!  (I'll let you know how it goes! Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Animated With the New MAC X The Simpsons Collaboration
How to Get Katy Perry’s Flawless Skin
How To Conceal Dark Circles Under Eyes | Mac Daddyy Makeovers
Best & Worst Style
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Looks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...