A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
758 Guests and 44 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Samus Quilt - Pic Heavy!  (Read 5650 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , samus , metroid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

antijamsect

bb foxy and me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: November 01, 2008 10:18:07 PM »

A dear friend of mine is getting married and I wanted to do something really special for him and his fiance...they are two of those "people who have everything", and I wanted to give them something a little more unique then some housewares off the registry.  So I decided to make one of the ubiquitous video game quilts! I knew metroid was my friend's fave old school nintendo game, so I went with Samus.  Many many hours on this labor of love later, I am finally finished! I wanted to share how I made it, because I think I used a much easier technique than just sewing thousands of squares.

First, I drew my design and cut the squares. I did 2" squares, the finished design used 1170 squares.

Then I used fusible quilt grid and first laid out the 2" squares into the pattern, then pressed to stick to the fusible.

I sewed the horizontal rows first. Since I needed to use 2 pieces of quilt grid to accommodate the size of my quilt, i just attached the two pieces during this process.

The next step is clipping the seams at each intersection, I didn't get a photo of this, just clip the seams where the vertical fold will cross.
Fold the vertical seam and sew down the row.

Then you are done with the image!

I added borders to make it larger. 

I sewed the batting, backing, and top together first and flipped inside out like a pillowcase, rather than do binding.  After that I topstitched in 1/4" from the edge making sure to sew the opening from flipping the quilt shut, and quilted the top and it was done.  The finished size is about 56" x 72".  I feel this method is a lot easier to control, making things more precise and saving a lot of sanity instead of sewing each square individually.  I've only done a baby quilt before, so this was my first large undertaking, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out!

finished quilt

closeup

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008 01:33:52 PM by antijamsect » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008 10:26:13 PM »

Wow! I really love the method you used! I don't think I have seen anyone do such an efficient job of sewing before! It really payed off too, it's really incredible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
olive_juice
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008 10:39:57 PM »

brilliant! I always thought that was a good idea, but figured i must not know enough about sewing to know it was stupid for some reason, or else someone would have already done it. Bravo to you!

oh yeah, sweet quilt too! I've been meaning to hop on the video game quilt bandwagon for some time, just haven't gotten around to it quite yet...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy .com
melmakespretty
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008 10:41:45 PM »

That's incredible. all those tiny little squares.
You did a fantastic job, and my daughter says your dog did a great job modelling it too!
What an honour to have such alovely quilt made for you, Your friends are very lucky to be recieving it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*Come​ and visit our new collaborative craft blog Hand Made-n's!!*~*~
sallyb
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008 01:43:39 AM »

What a fantastically inspired method!  Thank you so much for sharing.  I love your quilt and hope that the recipients enjoy it too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antijamsect

bb foxy and me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008 05:05:39 AM »

Thanks everyone! I'm so happy to share this method with all of you and hopefully will make making this type of quilt easier for anyone who wants to do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008 05:17:38 AM »

I don't know about the method, because I can't quilt Smiley
I just love your quilt, it looks fabulous, and I am very jealous of your friend!
Your color choices and motif are just super beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenxxxdee
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2008 04:46:01 PM »

I found fusible quilter's grid last year!  It is the most fantasitc thing in the world.  I first used it to do an "I spy" quilt that had a bunch of 3" squares.  The best thing is, the corners always match up!  I've been toying with doing a Classic NES quilt on it, but have so many projects that i haven't yet.  Seeing it done makes me want to do it even more!!!!

Looks great, and thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misterie
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008 10:46:01 AM »

Thank you so much for writing such a detailed tutorial! This definitely rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wvpa
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008 11:52:51 AM »

amazing job for your first big project, and really creative way to manage sewing all those squares!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Vintage-Look Hanger Covers
Felted Sock Monkey - Part 1
Breezy Multi-Colored Valance
How to Make Ribbon Yarn Pillow Sham
Fabulous Twirled Edge Scarf
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...