A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
499 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: obese TUTORIAL. nonknitted (sewn) glittens, convertable mittens, fingerless  (Read 57327 times)
Tags for this thread: mittens , gloves , tutorial , convertable_mittens , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TansysMaySigh
« on: November 01, 2008 08:38:44 PM »

This is my first topic as i have been lurking and haven't posted much. but i love this place and have made some things from what I've found on here

Well I've searched Craftster high and low for NONKNITTED glittens and didn't find anything so i took matters into my own hands and without a pattern, made these imperfect but lovely fleece glittens! lotsa trial and error. i just had this scarf-shaped piece of fabric and i thought 'glittens!' Kiss

i was going to buy a pattern but i wanted to see if i could figure it out.

the left hand glitten isn't as good b/c it was my first one. alas they are fingerless-i don't think i would have enough patience for fingers.

at first i wanted to make them reach all the way to my elbow, but i think i like them better 'scrunched'

closed

detail: a heart. there is also a heart by each flap

i need to make a pattern so i can make some more(maybe i can even get a tut on here if i ever do make another pair)
what other kinds of fabric do you think would work well for these? i was thinking maybe cut up a sweater or something...

tell me what you think!

TUTORIAL: Please look over the whole tut before you begin so you know how much fabric you will need and whatnot.
EDIT: at the end of this tut I added other variations of putting the thumb in thanks to other craftsters who helped me out. So look at that also before you start because you may want to use them;)
This is my first tut so be easy on me lol. if you have any questions feel free to ask. I don't have any actual measurements because we have different sized hands but ill try my best to explain. okay here we go!

fold your fabric so that there are four layers the size of the widest part(in this case my hand) with seam room. The length will be as long as you want the glittens. mine are from my knuckles to my elbow with hemming room of course. make sure if you are using fleece that it the more stretchy direction goes horizontal(the short side) and the less stretchy direction goes up and down so it can stretch when you put the glitten on. I hope that makes sense. if it doesnt please ask. but youll find that when you go to stretch fleece one way its not as stretchy as the other way.

hem the short sides with a stretch stitch. On the bottom one you may also put in elastic if you want.

cut them apart and fold them right-side-in. its hard to tell with fleece but it'll be the brighter side.

sew the sides together so you have 2 tubes of fleece. tailor them to your size by putting them on your arm and pinning where you want to sew.

turn it right side out and cut a SLIT(not a hole) so that your thumb can go all the way through.

to make the thumbs, cut it a bit taller than your thumb and long enough to wrap around your thumb with seam room.

sew it something like this so it fits your thumb nicely. here comes the hardest part.

the thumbpiece will be right side out but pointing INTO the inside-out glove.

ignore the stray string;) sew around so that you sew the thumb to the glitten with out sewing the thumbhole together. If you can find an easier way to do this let me know. its such a pain!
it will look something like this. hooray! the hardest part(IMO) is over!

okay on to the flap cover thingy. again no real measurements, just pin around your fingers or even cut it. make sure it is wide enough to fit your fingers and long enough to cover them and about an inch of the glitten. you can cut two at once though i didn't(idk why)

don't sew about 1/2 to 1 inch on the bottom for hemming and attaching.

ok so hem one side and place the flap on your glitten about an inch from the top where you will attach it.

cut a slit where you want it. i know mine is pretty crooked=P

turn it inside out an slip the flap into the slit. there should be 3 pieces to sew together. sew them together;)

yay you have flap!
[url=http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=191397]

silly cat-in-the-register-with-creepy-eyes Roll Eyes

time to sew on the button. sorry for the blur. you'll want it about a half-inch from the end of your flap.

another blurry. find some kind of string or stretchy stuff would be great. put two holes in the end of your flap a quarter inch apart and stick the ends of your string through.

check the length so that the loop is big enough to get the button through but small enough to stay over it.

this picture shows the flap inside out and the string knotted. i suppose you could sew the string in but this seemes easier to me. and there you go! EDIIT i now strongly suggest sweing it in. also you might try putting some kind of glue like mod podge on your knot.-thanks Eliea

the thumbs look silly Cheesy

i might add a heart or something

**********THUMB VARIATIONS***********

option 2

These are really awesome!

I had an idea to make the thumb insertion easier. I noticed that you put the long seam under the arm, and then cut the slit for the thumb...what it you sewed the seam from the hand side up to where you wanted the thumb, sewed on the thumb, and then sewed up the rest of the seam? let's see if i can draw what I mean on paint....

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/glittensewingoption.JPG[/img]

You would sew the red line, then the thumb to the sleeve at the purple, then sew the green lines together...Does that make sense??

hmm im not sure if i did what you mean, but for the first ones i made(purple & black striped), the thumb was on the seam. im not sure why but it was puffier around where i sewed. Do you mean sew the thumb in while it's still open ? I can see how that might work

exactly Smiley sew the thumb in while the sleeve is still open, then sew the rest of the seam closed, including the seam to close the thumb...like you do with children's shirts and sleeves. You sew the sleeves to the body first, and then sew the side and underarm seams

Thanks lianatempera!

OPTION 3

Quote from: gimmemoresalad on December 16, 2008, 10:11:28 PM
Ok, here's how I did the thumbs... it was pretty easy 

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/1216082158.jpg
And they look like this right side out (palm up so you can see the thumb past the finger-flap):
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/1216082157.jpg
I was going to take a pic of them on to demonstrate how cute they ended up, but my cell is the only way I can take digital pics right now, and it rang    <3 this tute.

thanks gimmemoresalad!

again ask any questions
i hope this was understandable=)

if you make some it would be great if you could post a picture(or more) on here;)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009 01:28:21 PM by TansysMaySigh - Reason: addition of thumb variations » THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyMcCrafterson

art should not exist for the sake of itself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008 08:42:45 PM »

Not that I really need these ( I live in Arizona, aka The Surface of the SUN) but they are super cute! I would love to make a pair of these!

I think you did a fabulous job!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008 09:09:41 PM by CraftyMcCrafterson - Reason: Apparently I cannot speak... » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://dianneofalltrades.blogspot.com/

Looking for dead pointe shoes.
andrea_joy
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008 08:43:18 PM »

So cute!  Every winter I think about making myself a pair of these, and I never seem to get around to it, forcing my poor hands and arms to suffer cruel coldness.  I think this year you may have inspired me to go for it and actually make some.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radmom
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008 08:43:38 PM »

I think they are cute, especially when you place the finger cover over. It seems so Dr. Seussian.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TansysMaySigh
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008 08:49:53 PM »

thanks!

i hope you do get around to making some-theyre really nice. i havent got to try them out in the snow yet though

haha Dr. suessan. now that you mention it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008 09:36:58 PM »

Very very cute!
I wanted a pair of these so I am learning to crochet. I have about 2 inches of one completed.  Grin

I can sew so perhaps I should also sew a pair. I have a knitted pair of fingerless gloves with the little finger cover bit which I love and it would be really convenient to have it in a fleecy material (washes well, feels nice on skin...).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
HippieKender
The most precious thing one can make is a friend.

I tend to lick circular things.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008 09:41:05 PM »

I live in the Chicago area and was thinking I don't just want a pair of these... I NEED a pair!  Cheesy  They look so warm and cozy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008 10:15:52 PM »

I found a free pattern for long, fingerless gloves on Burdastyle that might help anyone looking to make a pair of these!
It's in the accessories section. I haven't made any, but they look really good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
TansysMaySigh
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008 12:39:51 PM »

yeah I tried knitting but I'm not good enough to knit something like this

I really had to wing it for sewing though... im gonna have to look into making a pattern or something
My sister has a pair so i looked at them for a reference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008 12:43:21 PM »

I LOVE this idea and would be SO up for a tutorial! I'll even go look up the forementioned Burda pattern...it never occurred to me to take my warmth into my hands so to speak.

I love the options that fleece offers, but can't see why a thrifted sweater wouldn't work as well, except for maybe the washability.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Rainbow Hair and Look Good
Hair Tyrant: The Final Look - A Polished Creative Look
How to Get Sexy, Full-Bodied Hair
Moroccan Inspired Hairstyles at the Tadashi Shoji FW 2014 Show
How to Get the Haircut You Want
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...