A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,629
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rufflebutt Clown: roughly 8 billion pictures  (Read 2351 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_32_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2008 04:32:15 PM »

I was a clown. After years of dressing as things that were unrecognizable, it was awesome to walk around and not get asked what I was "supposed to be."

The costume is about 90% home-made, no patterns. I didn't make my socks, my shoes (though I did decorate them), or the wig base.

I made the undershirt like a tank-top out of stretchy glittery material, then cut some sleeves off another shirt, stitched them on, then "laddered" the sleeves and added ruffles, sequins and stripes of glitter down the front.

The overshirt/vest was an old shrug that I added lace to. It was last-minute, because my outfit wasn't warm or colorful enough with just the black top.

Bad photo, but the best that shows the tops:

My bottom half just brings me such joy, and it's not often I can say that. I made the pants from scratch by adapting VegBee's wrap pants into non-wrap pants, and making the crotch twice as deep. I then folded the extra material over to make an attached miniskirt. Then I sewed on five metric tons of ruffles.

The ruffles are made from four different fabrics, plus purple storebought lace.  I used the info on gathering with clear elastic from VegBee. She was apparently my DIY Halloween saint. Cheesy

I also gave the pants pockets, which I didn't use at all:

I also used the gathering tutorial for my tutu. I made it two layers, and open in the back to show off my rufflebum and to make it easier to sit down and go potty. I think I may do a tut on how I made the tutu (ha!) at some point, because the way I did it makes the layers interchangable. As it stood, I only had two layers, so it didn't much matter. After sewing, I glued sequins on that are kinda hard to see in the photos.

I promise my makeup didn't look so shoddy in real life. I do wish I'd carried the white further down my neck, though.  Embarrassed

I made the umbrella by cutting down a full-sized 'brella, bending the metal bits to a new, more curved shape, and then replacing the original fabric with some crazy cotton I found. And I got to take the best hardcore crafting photo ever:

Finally, there's the wig. As I said above, I started with base wig. It was a purple bob style with bangs. I then dreaded a lot of it, and added synthetic dreads of other colors, as well as braids, loose hair, three colors of plastic lacing, ribbon, sequins-onna-string, glitter, and a big 'ol pink bow. I pulled the back up, backcombed some loose hair and snuck it into the little beehive I made, and then pulled the sides into pigtails. I loooooove it. I'll probably invent some reason to wear it again some time. Here's pics I took without the costume/makeup on, which are also pre-glitter, pre-sequins and pre-bows:

I don't think I've EVER been so proud of a costume. I had so much fun walking around under my little umbrella, and got a fair few compliments (and one photo taken of me. That's never happened before, so I felt like a celeb).

Many thanks for looking, and SUPER MEGA UBER thanks to VegBee for her tutorials (found at http://indietutes.blogspot.com/); my costume would have been very sad without them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008 05:44:39 PM »

Bless vegbee and her tutorials. That's how I learned to gather with elastic too. I have learned LOTS from her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008 06:55:47 PM »

You look adorable.  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

atlascoughed

Sometimes I don't make anything but a mess.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008 05:19:36 AM »

Thanks! I don't think I'll win this contest-- those Muppet costumes are AWESOME-- but I'm so happy with the getup that I had to post it. Especially the wig! That thing is so fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anything I can reach I do myself.

Una Luna on Etsy. Home of the Alphacreatures!: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5443049

Diary of the Long Winded as AtlasCoughed on LJ: http://atlascoughed.livejournal.com/
Jemmyfuzzle
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008 01:21:47 PM »

i absolutely love your little umbrella, it's so sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Life flies when you're on Prozac.  But enough about you, let's talk about me" Bette Midler.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Plait Classic Pigtails
How to Shampoo Your Hair
How to Style Punk Hair
How to Style Emo Hair
How to Treat Dandruff
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...