A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cookie issues - with sad little pictures.  (Read 5508 times)
Tags for this thread: cookie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kaissa
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2008 08:03:28 AM »

Another good hint on cookies is, never bake cookies on a dark cookie sheet.  You should always use a nice silver one!!!  It doesn't sound like it would make a difference, but it does!!!  Make sure you have a silver sheet and not one of those black ones!

Hope this helps!!!  I love baking cookies and learned this after years of trial and error! 

missgabbielynn

Oh, I have never heard this! All my cookie sheets are black! I know what I'll be asking for for Christmas!  Grin

Err...uhh....every chocolate chip cookie I've made in my life has looked like that. Tasted great, but are always flat. I've never thought anything of it. I't how my mum's always looked too. And my boyfriends look like that too. And my I say that they always taste fabulous. Until this post I never considered there might be something wrong......  Huh  Huh

spicy taco - mine have always looks like this too - and so did my mom's the whole time I was growing up. Not too long ago I went into a local restaurant and saw the cookies they had just made - and got totally jealous of their beauty! lol 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2008 12:00:49 PM »

Wow! Apparently cookie making is it's own science. Any recipe I've looked at has had you cream the sugars with the butter, and then add the already mixed dried ingredients and mix and then fold in the chocolate chips. I've always been lazy, and dumped everything in all at once and mixed it only until it comes together and the folded in the chocolate chips. I usually use my butter on the harder side. Not quite room temp and not refrigerated.
Two things I've learned recently.
1. Double acting baking powder is called that because it works first when you add the wet ingredients, and second in the oven. That's why you want to bake something quickly after adding it. Because of this I use baking soda instead.

2. You should never try to soften your butter in the microwave for making cookies. Martha suggests putting it into a bowl and then floating that bowl in a bigger one filled with warm water. I usually just set it in a glass bowl on top of the stove on the burner that has the oven vent in it. By the time I've gathered my other supplies and the oven is warmed enough, it's soft enough.

I never bake them as long as the recipe says. when I moved into a new house (new oven) I would check on them and when they were done, take them out. In this house that's 9 minutes.

Also, I like to switch up the flavors a bit.
try adding:
Craisins and 1 tsp orange extract and white chocolate instead of milk chocolate
or
1/4 tsp mint extract
or
1/2 tsp almond extract

THIS ROCKS   Logged

shastaw2006
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008 12:39:20 PM »

this website http://www.well.com/~vard/cookies.html is where I got all my tips from. They've got some good pointers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2008 03:57:08 AM »

Use half baking powder and half baking soda- instead of the full amount of powder

??  Isn't the tollhouse recipe the one that's all baking SODA?  Maybe it's different in different countries?

Just wondering, not trying to be nitpicky.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
shastaw2006
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2008 07:14:11 AM »

Those are my changes to the tollhouse recipe. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doyouloveanapple
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2008 01:55:30 PM »

As opposed to the amount of butter, as Avian Flight mentions, it might actually be the temperature of the butter (or the shortening, or whatever) when the cookies go into the oven that makes the difference. 

I second that. It has to do with how quickly the dough warms in the oven... so I always chill my cookie dough for a few hours before baking. It gives the butter a chance to harden. Then when they hit the oven the outside layer can cook without giving the whole thing a chance to get flat.

Also, using margarine can do this becuase it's esentially oil that science has tricked into being solid and that doens't stand up to heat.

Hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.et sy.com
shastaw2006
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2008 03:25:18 PM »

Use half baking powder and half baking soda- instead of the full amount of powder

??  Isn't the tollhouse recipe the one that's all baking SODA?  Maybe it's different in different countries?

Just wondering, not trying to be nitpicky.  Smiley

ahh... just caught that. soda, not powder. Idk which one is usually is, just that I use half and half. One is supposed to have it rise right away, and the other makes it rise in the oven. Or something like that. Idk the science, but it works for me! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scarygurrl
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2008 05:28:25 AM »

I am hugely confused.

My cookies always turn out rubbishy, more like cakes than cookies.
I think it is maybe to do with baking powder/baking soda.

I use US recipes, and am in the UK, so I'm guessing I need to make some sort of adjustment.
I also am unsure if there is a difference between using butter, and stork margarine.

Does anyone have a fool-proof (maybe idiot proof is better!) recipe, that will work with UK baking powder/soda?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008 03:38:57 PM »

scarygurrl
Just fyi, you can NOT translate baking soda from the US directly to Europe.  I learned this from experience.  In Europe and the UK the baking soda is weaker so you have to use about 1 and 1/2 times as much.  So instead of 1 tsp, it would be 1 1/2 tsp.

that is all.  Smiley

I don't think I've had a problem with cookies being flat-or maybe I never noticed b/c I always eat them hot off the baking sheet. But one thing my grandmother always said is to never use margarine in cookies b/c it changes it's flavor and texture.
And I too always nuke my butter a bit.

Good luck with your cookies! Post some pics when you get good ones!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2008 10:26:26 AM »

Ok, I can't make chocolate chip cookies to save my life. They always turn out looking like the mess below. The pics are kind of dark - the cookies aren't actually that dark - but my issue is - why are they always flat?

I actually prefer flat cookies.  If you ever end up having another "mess" on your hands, I can volunteer for disaster relief. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Acne Spots in Photoshop
How to Enhance Breast Size in Photoshop
How to Make a Little Planet Effect in Photoshop
How to Make a Multi Colored Eye in Photoshop
How to Isolate Colors in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...