A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cookie issues - with sad little pictures.  (Read 5488 times)
Tags for this thread: cookie  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kaissa
« on: November 01, 2008 01:10:05 PM »

Ok, I can't make chocolate chip cookies to save my life. They always turn out looking like the mess below. The pics are kind of dark - the cookies aren't actually that dark - but my issue is - why are they always flat?
I have tried about 10 different recipes; some with butter, some with shortening, different sugar combinations, high altitude directions (I'm about 5000 feet), etc... but I still end up with this:

why why why?   Angry

Any good bakers have tips for me?

Thank you so much in advance!!
 Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms Jameson
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008 01:22:25 PM »

I have the same issue with every cookie I make.

Did you check your sodas and powders to make sure they are fresh?

If all your ingredients are good, chances are it is your oven.  Go buy a three or four dollar oven thermometer and make sure you're baking at the correct temp.  That seems to help.

In my case I live in an apartment and we just have a cruddy oven so there isn't a whole lot I can do about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emmsie-poo
the granny crafter!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008 01:24:21 PM »

i'm not entirely sure of this, but i think it might be your oven.  i used to have an oven whose temperature was slightly off, and it always wound up getting too hot, and my cookies would turn out like that or worse.  you could try fiddling around with temperatures and baking times and see what works with your oven.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i believe myself to be a sensitive person, but with the soul of a clown that forces me to blow it at the most crucial moments."  - jim morrison
clrowi
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008 01:31:27 PM »

I used to BOMB choc chip cookies too (and my DH still makes a FAR superior batch than I do)!!

Are you using an old container of leavener? Because they can loose it's "power" if left for too long, just like yeast. Have you also tried increasing the amount you use? And turning the temp of your oven down, because it looks like the outer edges are cooking much faster, and it may not be giving the leavener enough time to "react" before the cookie is done.

Good luck with the next batch!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
polutechnos
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008 01:32:40 PM »

Hmm, looks like my kind of cookie Cheesy I'd say your problem lies in your sugar...A bit too much sugar will make them flatten and become crispier.

Here's my recipe:

Preheat oven to 375'F

3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 cup stick butter or margerine softened (Land O Lakes or Betty Crocker work good)
2 cups all purpose flour (and another 1/4 cup for kneading in)
1tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
12oz pack of chocolate chips

Put both sugars, egg, and softened butter into bowl. Blend with mixer. Blend in 2c. flour, salt, and baking soda. Don't over blend or you'll end up with some puffy cookies!
Knead in 1/4 cup all purpose flour. Add (stir or knead in) the chocolate chips.
Bake for 8-10 minutes. I usually bake at 9 or 10 minutes, but it depends on what kind of cookie you like and how accurate your oven is.

I'm not sure where you are from, so if you need the measurements converted to metric system, let me know Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008 01:33:01 PM »

Ok I have to say that your cookies look delicious, I personally prefer them flattish like this as they are more chewy, My friend is the chocolate chip cookie maven and I watched her make them tonight, she never flattens them out at all, just rolls biggish balls of the dough and puts it on the sheets and cooks them fairly fast.

But I always get her to flatten them out for me as I like them like yours..

mouth watering now
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008 01:34:44 PM »

polutechnos I'd love your measurements converted to metric, its the stick of butter that is a problem for me, we dont have sticks here in ireland, and a cup measurement of butter is a pain in the ass, either metric or imperial is good, One or the other.

Thanks in advance
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaissa
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008 01:49:42 PM »

Thank you all!!
I used a brand new package of leavener, because I suspected that may be the problem - but nope  Angry.  Tomorrow I'm going to pick up one of the inside the oven thermometers. My range is a hand-me-down from my mom, and she had it for as long as I can remember so there's a good chance it's temp is off.

polutechnos - thak you so much for that recipe. I am going to give it a try for sure!!

Ok I have to say that your cookies look delicious, I personally prefer them flattish like this as they are more chewy, My friend is the chocolate chip cookie maven and I watched her make them tonight, she never flattens them out at all, just rolls biggish balls of the dough and puts it on the sheets and cooks them fairly fast.

But I always get her to flatten them out for me as I like them like yours..

mouth watering now

thank you Smiley. They taste yummy - in fact my neighbor just stopped by and he ate 5...  but I just want them to look pretty and fluffy!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avian Flight
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008 01:54:35 PM »

I actually think it's the amount of butter you put in. The more butter, the flatter they get. But I don't know the science behind it and I may be wrong. You can try less butter and refrigerating the dough before baking so it spreads out less?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
polutechnos
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008 02:38:14 PM »

edel, these are rough measurements, but they should be ok! I didn't take the time to do the math; just used an online conversion thingy.

Preheat oven to 190'C

170g light brown sugar
170g white sugar (caster sugar or a less fine white sugar)
1 egg
225g of butter or margerine (there's a product in England called Pure margerine that works ok)
550g of all purpose flour (an additional 56g for kneading in)
1tsp baking soda (bicarbonate soda for the non USers Tongue)
1/2tsp salt
12oz pack of chocolate chips
340g of chocolate chips (how much you add is up to you though)

Put both sugars, egg, and softened butter into bowl. Blend with mixer. Blend in 550g flour, salt, and baking soda. Don't over blend or you'll end up with some puffy cookies!
Knead in the rest of the flour. Add (stir or knead in) the chocolate chips.
Bake for 8-10 minutes. I usually bake at 9 or 10 minutes, but it depends on what kind of cookie you like and how accurate your oven is.

Avian Flight, you're kind of right. I narrowed it down to a couple things. The oven, butter, and/or sugar. Butter is one of the moisture ingredients, so is brown sugar (because it has mollases). Basically, the amount of moisture (butter, egg, brown sugar) is a problem when the moisture evaporates too quickly or too slowly, making the cookies cake like or crispier. The dry ingredients (flour, sugar) kinda regulate how quickly all of this happens. I think more sugar (just don't overkill) slows down the moisture release, making them fluffier. Like you said, less butter works too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to make Mixed Beans
How to make Chicken Pot Pie Part 2
How to make Apple Dumpling
How to make a Shrimp and Scallop Country Casserole
How to make Hickory Smoked Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...