A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,617
Currently Running With Scissors:
789 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Elizabethan Nobles c. 1570-ish (photo obese)  (Read 14311 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_challenge_32_entries  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008 08:48:30 PM »

You look really incredible in that dress, it is SO flattering!  Don't you wish we could wear dresses like that every day?  The older styles are really friendly to the bigger girl.  In fact, IMHO, they look better on a bigger woman then a skinny one!  I'm a big girl but I don't have your sewing skills, sadly.  I am SOOO jealous!  Smiley

That's why I'm in the SCA (so I can wear these more than one day a year... lol). Wink I'm fairly pleased with how the outfit turned out in regards to that though. I know the photo with the corset looks "lumpy" but that's because the skirts were tied around it for a few hours before we took the pic and sort of "dented" them in. I didn't really notice until I posted the photos but the elongated bodice also makes me look taller I think (I'm 5'2").

Thanks for the compliment Smiley I'm far from an advanced seamstress but I'm proud of what I do manage from time to time. Although I'm a virgo/perfectionist and happen to be my own worst critic so I look at something and see all the flaws. I love this place in part because I get an impartial audience to tell me how it looks. I'm thankful that they're good reviews so far. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
variableenigma
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008 09:10:54 PM »

This is amazing. Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missgabbielynn

Dance like no one is watching!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2008 09:42:06 PM »

These are both absolutely amazing!!!!!!  You did a great job on them both.

missgabbielynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008 10:36:42 PM »

OMG! You did all this for Halloween! Wow. You really are a talented seamstress! You guys look amazing in these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2008 08:28:31 AM »

Thanks guys! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ducky2010
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2008 10:13:53 AM »

I actually first saw this yesterday but I don't feel you have enough gratifying posts. This ROCKS!!! I love the attention to detail, particularly on the sleeves. A lot of people overlook the sleeves when doing period clothing because our culture has changed, but that used to be one of the biggest indicators of status. I love love love it all!!!

Do you attend Ren Fairs? Because that would give you the opportunity to wear this awesome costume even more!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2008 10:32:36 AM »

I actually first saw this yesterday but I don't feel you have enough gratifying posts. This ROCKS!!! I love the attention to detail, particularly on the sleeves. A lot of people overlook the sleeves when doing period clothing because our culture has changed, but that used to be one of the biggest indicators of status. I love love love it all!!!

Do you attend Ren Fairs? Because that would give you the opportunity to wear this awesome costume even more!

Aww thanks!  Grin The sleeves are my favorite part too. I want to add more smaller pearl accents inside the squares as well but didn't have time this go around. I left the sleeves unlined actually so I'll have the ability to go back and add more stuff to them. I also wish I'd had more time to fiddle with decorating the hats.  Undecided  Oh yeah, we were in such a rush I also forgot all of my jewelry!! I have these awesome vintage filigree earrings, a huge Baltic Amber ring AND a reproduction of the necklace in this painting I bought in Rome. There were also supposed to be pearls cascading all over but I forgot about them.  Sad

I love Ren Fairs! I'm not a huge "period nazi" like some SCAdians and I think Ren Faires are an opportunity to really liven' it up a bit. I'm originally from Austin so I've been to the Texas Ren Fair a fair number of times and I've visited a few smaller ones in Michigan. I'm currently living in Italy and have managed to make it to several small-town medieval festivals that have the same feel and are LOADS of fun too.  Cheesy

I've discovered the pirates are universally pervy bastards though.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassypriscilla
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2008 10:35:07 AM »

Wow - what wonderful costumes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2008 12:58:42 PM »

Oh, almost forgot! I updated the dress diaries I kept with photos of all the in-progress stuff here. In case anyone were interested. Smiley The archives over on the right are labeled for each piece of the outfits for easier browsing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cigarettesandvalentines
Red ships of Spain!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2008 01:37:15 PM »

sleeve detail ftw!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Someone has to go back and get a shitload of dimes."

Personal Swaps? Love 'em! Drop me a PM

etsy! http://www.etsy.com/shop/historystuffed

http://hamiltonsstupidhat.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Retro, Mad Men-Inspired Makeup Anyone Can Pull Off
Ask Marianna: Beach Waves, Dry Skin and Summer Foundation
3 Highlighters That Instantly Perfect Any Skin Type
Regret Your Tattoo?
Sneak Peek: Birchbox April 2013
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Favorite Vegan Recipes
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...