All of these photos (except the invitations and dinosaurs) are courtesy of our awesome photographers at David Barnes Photography in Cambridge, MA.
We lucked out and had perfect weather for our wedding day, and all of my crafts came off more or less as well as I could have hoped! A lot of people helped out with the crafting, planning, and assembly for the day, and really helped to make the day handmade and special. (there are a ton more photos on my flicker sets if you want more detail, but these are some highlights. Craft planning set
. Wedding Day Elements Set
I designed the invitations using Envelopements paper and pocketfolds. I did the text in Apple's Pages software, and took them to Staples to be printed. Way cheaper than a professional printer! A couple friends helped me with the assembly:
I chose a font for the addresses, printed them out onto printer paper, and then used a lightbox to trace them onto the envelopes (in real life, my handwriting is terrible!).
We decided to take public transit to the wedding instead of hiring a limo, so we met up with our photographer at the Porter Square station in Cambridge and did our first wedding photos in the subway station and on the trains. Since they're not terribly crafty, I won't embed those images here, but you can see them on my flickr
. :) Then we got off the train at Park Street (for you locals) and did photos in the Boston Commons and Boston Public Garden.
A lot of the inspiration for our "theme" elements came from a combination of the colors that make me think of fall (rich oranges, golds and a bright bright blue sky), as well as my crafty side and the fact that we're both pretty geeky (that comes up later with the fiber optics). The urban skyline view from our venue also wound up contributing a lot as well!
My dress was a light gold, and we chose brown tuxes for the guys (you should be able to click any of the images to make them bigger!):
Guys in brown tuxes, and girls in metallic golds and coppers from Watters and Watters:
A friend and I spent many hours over a drill and made 5 beaded bouquets, and something like 16 beaded boutonnières and 6 beaded corsages. I love how they turned out and went so well with the metallic colors in the dresses!
Box of boutonnières and corsages waiting to be handed out:
My mom lives across the country from me, but helped me to knit our chuppah square by square. We were very worried about gauge, but it turns out that we were fine - once I sewed the squares together, we couldn't tell them apart! THe pattern is Hannah's Tablecloth from the book Handknit Holidays.
I designed our programs in Apple's Pages software, and we had them printed at Kinko's. I picked up the metallic cover paper from a local craft store in the scrapbooking aisle.
Inside we had the usual order of ceremony, readings, and names of people in the ceremony, as well as an order for the reception (since it was in several different rooms), the menu, and explanations of the traditions we chose to include in our ceremony)
I also made our centerpieces and place cards (which were LED candles wrapped in vellum paper to look like frosted glass candleholders with the guest's names on them). We were going for sort of an urban feel with a lot of twinkly lights because the view from the ballroom where the reception was was of the Boston city skyline:
Close-up of a place card:
I was SO pleased with how the centerpieces came out! I used fiber optic lamps, that come packaged in clear plastic tubes. I cut the tubes down to the height I wanted the "vase" part of the centerpiece to be, and then covered them in brown and gold papers. Stick the lamp in, and the fiber optics light up and the base lights up, too, making the paper glow. Cheap, easy, and nobody will believe you made it yourself!
Lighted centerpiece with glowing candle place cards.
Finally, I didn't craft this, but I LOVE how our cake turned out! We ordered it from Konditor Meister in Boston. The layers are pumpkin spice with maple mousse, and strawberry grand marnier. We chose ivory buttercream icing (no fondant for us!), chocolate icing paisleys, and rolled chocolate leaves in an array of fall oranges and reds.
the one sad part: we were supposed to use this raptor cake topper DH helped me design and make, but I used the wrong kind of glue and the dinosaurs snapped off the topper plate the day before the wedding and we didn't have time to fix them. :(
If you made it this far, thank you for indulging me while I share my wedding crafts! I had a lot of fun making these things over the past year, and I'm really happy with how they all turned out. I almost don't know what to do with myself now that all the crafting's done - I guess I'll go back to knitting socks! :D