A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Make for a charity... unswap 'swap'  (Read 4111 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 31, 2008 12:01:23 PM »

Well, I was just thinking, with all of these hats that I keep making I should donate them.  And I did.  But then I really started thinking and thought that it would be awesome to have a swap where no one got anything in return other then knowing that they helped someone else out.  (And to be that organization when they get many packages all at once from many different places!!)

I live in Wisconsin and mainly focused my searching for here, but just some ideas that I found pretty easily:
  • For the Wisconsin Humane Society:  Crocheted or knitted blankets in the following sizes:  12" x 12" for cats and small animals.  24" x 24" for medium dogs and other animals.  36" x 36" for large dogs and other animals
  • Newborns In Need http://www.newbornsinneed.org  Each Chapter collects new and handmade hats/blankets/clothing for newborns and preemies.  There are many different chapters.  (This one would be nice since it isn't just for knitted or crocheted items.)

I think that the organizer should be the decision maker on which charity the items can be sent to.  And that all items be sent directly to the charity. 

And proof of sending can just be a picture or scan of the shipping receipt or delivery confirmation number. 

What do you think???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
kayrun
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008 05:19:40 PM »

neat idea!
i would be happy to participate...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elvissatx
Bad Girl Upset By The Truth

Ruby, my smart fortwo cabriolet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008 10:30:41 AM »

I love that idea, but I think I might take it even farther-- maybe not do a swap but just have it be a Craftster-wide initiative-- perhaps bimonthly.

People could submit worthy causes, there could be a vote on which one each time, and then craft and send.

Imagine if 1/10 of the regular posters on Craftster participated what a huge windfall it could be for great causes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool!  I made the Best of 2009 twice!   Check 'em out! 

Yo-Yo Dress of Doom http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299010.0

Smart Santa Hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330595.0
superhooker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008 07:47:45 AM »

I knit hats for the homeless shelters around here (in Detroit, especially in the winter, we have a LOT of homeless people.)  It would be really great to have a craftster initiative...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
myklia
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008 09:01:57 PM »

I like the initiative idea.  How to go about starting something like that though.  I'm not really sure.

I have been gifted a crap ton of pink yarn (I hate the color pink) from an aunt.  After the holidays I plan on putting it to good use for "Knit for the Cure" (I think it is just www.knitforthecure. com).  You knit things and donate and they sell it at events to benefit the Susan G Koeman Foundation (sp?).

Hi neighbor elociNNicole, I live in Cedarburg and lived downtown/east side of Milwaukee for many years. Cheesy  I miss it terribly. Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angrykittymeowmeow
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008 10:55:04 PM »

I just came across this posting on craigslist:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/wan/905788156.html

Here is the link to the website she made:
http://threadsoffaithe.tripod.com/index.html

Unfortunately, I can't knit or crochet, but I could donate, say, a bunch of yarn for people that can make the items.  Maybe do it like the ongoing wish swap, where people post their charity of choice, and what that charity is wanting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MY COMPUTER IS OFFICIALLY DEAD!  I WILL BE OFF CRAFTSTER UNTIL LATE FEB, EARLY MARCH WHEN I BUY ANOTHER.
crafts4others
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008 03:20:39 PM »

this is a good idea, I will definately need to perfect my crocheting, but until then I might be able to donate materials.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008 03:49:24 PM »

Well, my swap 'unswap' idea got moved here since you don't get anything in return then it technically cannot be a swap.  Which is fine, I just know that it would have gotten more views and participants through the swap board.  No biggie though.  Maybe I'll just pick an organization and collect items and then send them all out myself...

I like the initiative idea.  How to go about starting something like that though.  I'm not really sure.

I have been gifted a crap ton of pink yarn (I hate the color pink) from an aunt.  After the holidays I plan on putting it to good use for "Knit for the Cure" (I think it is just www.knitforthecure. com).  You knit things and donate and they sell it at events to benefit the Susan G Koeman Foundation (sp?).

Hi neighbor elociNNicole, I live in Cedarburg and lived downtown/east side of Milwaukee for many years. Cheesy  I miss it terribly. Cry

Howdy Neighbor!!  Well we have location in common and also the hatred of the color pink!!!  I live in Greenfield but frequent the east side often.  Thanks for the 'Hello'! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
elvissatx
Bad Girl Upset By The Truth

Ruby, my smart fortwo cabriolet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008 04:15:58 PM »

I still don't see any reason why this couldn't be Craftster wide. 

We could ask Leah to make it a news item.  People could submit causes and what they need, then Leah could choose one or two each month (or make it a poll on the front page since they're doing that now).  Once the organization is chosen and then just post in the news who the organization(s) is/are and what to send and then people just send.  That way plenty of people would see it, and while maybe not everyone could participate every month, if 10% of the people who visit Craftster sent even one item a year, it could do a tremendous amount of good.

Just my 2 cents (which in the current economy is probably worth less than nothing)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool!  I made the Best of 2009 twice!   Check 'em out! 

Yo-Yo Dress of Doom http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299010.0

Smart Santa Hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330595.0
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008 07:21:18 PM »

I still don't see any reason why this couldn't be Craftster wide. 

We could ask Leah to make it a news item.  People could submit causes and what they need, then Leah could choose one or two each month (or make it a poll on the front page since they're doing that now).  Once the organization is chosen and then just post in the news who the organization(s) is/are and what to send and then people just send.  That way plenty of people would see it, and while maybe not everyone could participate every month, if 10% of the people who visit Craftster sent even one item a year, it could do a tremendous amount of good.

Just my 2 cents (which in the current economy is probably worth less than nothing)

That's a wonderful idea. You should contact Leah or Jungrrl.

Also, the reason it got moved is because we no longer do unconditional swaps. Although it's for an amazing cause, in the past it has gotten really ugly so we just stopped them. Maybe you could put a link to this thread in your signature for everyone to see it and stop by.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Perfect Pedicure at Home
Great Products to Protect Your Skin
Ask An A-Lister: Beau Mirchoff
Carmen Styles Three Outfits For Summer!
Little Mix Exclusive Available For the iPad!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...