A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,738
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hanging lamp cords  (Read 920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KateyJN
« on: February 15, 2004 03:09:29 PM »

I have some of those asian paper lanterns, but the cords are horrendous and tangly down the walls. Does anybody have any clever ideas to conceal these hanging cords? I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions or tips.

Katey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CircusManager220
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004 03:24:53 PM »

Put a curtain up... Even if there isn't a window... I love fooling people like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Washable
Goddess
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004 03:27:19 PM »

I have mine hidden by a large, solid colored canvas that I hung on the wall. Since my ceiling is covered in black satin, you can even see the cord leading up to the wall. very cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004 03:58:36 PM »

I re-wired a nifty hanging lamp for a friend once.  To mask the wire, I bought decorator chain from the hardware store and wove the cord in and out of the chain, just like you see old lamps.  They sell the chain at hardware stores by the foot and it usually comes in gold-tone, silver-tone, black and white, and sometimes even dark green.  It's a light-weight chain, only intended for just this purpose.

Only problem with that is, you have to put the wire through the chain before you put the plug on, so unless your lanterns have petite little plugs, this might not work.  I don't know how many cords you are talking about concealing, but you could conceivably put more than one cord in one piece of chain.  

You could build a box out of pieces of crown molding.  They usually come in 8ft lengths, which is usually the height from floor to ceiling, and they are usually only a few dollars per piece.  If you bought one pretty piece of 3inch crown molding for $2.99 and a couple of plain old pine 1 x 2's for $0.99 and then just tacked them together with finishing nails, you could then paint to match your walls or stain to make it stand out, and just run the cords through that.  (Of course you would need to cut notches out for the cords to slip into.)  Also, if you got really creative, you could also buy a cheap round wood table-top, cut it in half and cut squares out of the center to match the size of your modling box, then use regular shelf brackets to mount the tops to the wall to make it look like the thing is just an interesting little table.  Double function and OH so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
squaretangle
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004 11:53:34 AM »

I don't know how many lamps you have, but you could gather all of the cords to a corner and braid them all the way down and the braid sits all the way down the corner of the two walls.  Mine looks cool like that and it's better than having wires hanging everwhere.  

Good Luck!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every artist was first an amateur.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
Scott Adams
klippedwingz

Are you a Llama, I asked my friend, Dave?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004 12:02:21 PM »

Cords really annoy me. For some reason my eyeis always drawn right to them.  What is really bothersome is on all these decorator shows they will have these horrid cords stretched across the newly painted walls.  You have paint there PAINT THE CORDS!!!  Also you can make a tube out of material and slip over the cord.    
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004 02:37:08 PM »

Lothruin  I love your molding/table idea ...  =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Garam Masala Is Used in Indian Recipes
How Fenugreek Is Used in Indian Recipes
How Cardamom Is Used in Indian Recipes
How to Make Tandoori Chicken Marinade
How Asafetida Is Used in Indian Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...