A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,121
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Warning? Us Trendy?  (Read 3994 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

limperatrice

Partying Like It's 1499

View Profile WWW
« on: October 30, 2008 02:14:40 PM »

Hey guys, I just posted these on another board I belong to for artisans and I thought I'd share them with you too just to give you guys a heads up if you're trying to sell online:

Post one:

Hey guys, thought I'd post a heads up about getting etsy messages from anyone claiming to be from UsTrendy. They have anice way of telling yu that they discovered you and think you'd be perfect for their site and how much they love you. Unfortunately a lot of people are getting this exact same or barely varieted versions of it. They're spammers, clever spammers but still spammers. I stupidly signed up for their site before checking them out and the site is terrible. They also take 10 percent of everything you sell there. I don't know for sure but I don't trust them, especially if their first contact with me is SPAM

Post Two:

I did email them telling them how displeased I was that it was spam, because they did attempt to make me feel like I was specially picked but it was a spam rouse instead. I would also like to point out that I couldn't get their "selling" feature to work when I had signed up with them so I sent them a note about it and they replied that I was doing something wrong with my portfolio when it was obviously something wrong with their site. I had three different people/email addies respond to me at the same time about the problem. I don't think they actually know how to run their own site. Even if they aren't up to something nefarious I don't know if I'd trust them selling or featuring any of my stuff. Something seems fishy.

They just replied to email about how disappointed I am with them. They told me the emails are an attempt at "scouting" new talent to help us artisans out in getting started. I called his bull and told him how disrespectful it is to an artist to be told that we're specially picked and we're specifically chosen only to find out a hundred more people got told the same thing, often times using a different name when they send it. It's definatly spam or these guys have no idea in the world how to conduct their scouting practices. either way, BEWARE. There is a lot of people out there wanting to take advantage of us.

You can take my advice or you can just ignore it, just thought I'd share it with you anyways in order to avoid seeing anyone get scammed or used if this website turns foul. Who knows, they might turn out to be legit but for right now I smell something bad about it all and I am very suspicious of a site that scouts through spamming.

~Minerva~
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're Having An Awesome Halloween Sale Right now!
www.limperatrice.etsy.com  - Clothing, Jewelery, Costuming and Gothic Culture

- Now Available At Madame Yes! -

www.TheDomesticGothess.Com -Tutorials, Recipes and More
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008 03:07:08 PM »

I hope no one gave any credit card information...  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008 08:02:38 AM »

They've only been up and running since March. There isn't really any info to be had on them except for their own advertising, and it looks like they've made quite an investment in that. I'm guessing if they do become popular they'll be taking more than 10%.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

limperatrice

Partying Like It's 1499

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008 08:24:14 AM »

It was the real lack of info available on them that really bothered me.  If they were so awesome and artisan friendly, then why hasn't anyone else reliable ever discussed them?  There should be -some- info on them.  And they kept stressing "Everything you post here remains yours 100%"  Like they were trying to convince us they weren't up to anything sneaky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carbonated
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008 03:22:49 PM »

I just got this message and I was pretty suspicious right away. I only have two shirts up, and I have at most 50 views on them. I checked out the site and didn't understand what was going on, so I knew it'd be a smart idea to search for it here on craftster first. I'm so glad you posted this.

I am a little disappointed, though. I felt pretty special for a second, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

=]
limperatrice

Partying Like It's 1499

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008 12:08:15 AM »

I know how you feel and the sad thing is that's what they're preying on.  I hope this doesn't all go sour and hurt a bunch of people because they thought someone was really picking them out of the masses.  It's a terrible way to draw people over, a lot of people are going to get their feelings hurt when they realize their super special awesome recruiter letter is actually spam.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

give-quiche-a-chance

9 10 a big fat hen! The name's Bender!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008 05:03:48 AM »

I got this email through my folksy shop, I was excited at first then as i read the email it just became more and more apparent that this is a standard letter that they send out to everyone, did yours say - 'I am interested in your work. I was sent your work by a friend who came across it on Folksy. You are very talented.'

When i looked through their website i did find it a bit bare in terms of information, I was gonna upload my portfolio at some point but now I'm not so sure.

I wouldn't have minded if they had emailed me info about their website but to make it sound personal and to comment on work that they probably didn't even look at really bothers me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h0p31355

How *hard* could it be?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009 08:52:31 PM »

I got a note today on dA, so I sent her a reply, asking a few questions, but I cam here before signing up to find out what's what.  And wouldn't you know it, you guys always have the answer!

I feel largely ignored on dA so I was stoked to get the note.  In mine they mentioned a specific shirt, but I also uploaded it recently.  I don't think they read the post though, as they mentioned it would be good for fashion, but I didn't MAKE the shirt, I altered and painted it.

The thing about pricing that bothered me was I saw the 10% and such....but it doesn't say what it's 10% OF (of the profit, or of the total cost, or of the cost plus shipping). 

It's a terrible way to draw people over, a lot of people are going to get their feelings hurt when they realize their super special awesome recruiter letter is actually spam.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm still pretty special  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~h0p31355~
plummy
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009 07:42:56 PM »

So jungrrl directed me to this post...I recently was contacted by 'Fashion Not In The Shops' via my etsy account, and even if they are legit they seem similar to what's going on here and I am thus suspicious.  Here's the message they sent me:

Hi ,

We love your designs and would like to invite you to be a seller with us. Can you send us your email address, or email us so we can send you more information if you are interested to find out more.

best wishes

Elizabeth
Co-Founder
FashionNotInTheShop s Ltd
info [!at] fashionnotintheshop s.com
www.fashionnotinthe shops.com

Is this pretty much like what everyone else was sent?  I was excited in the beginning, too...sad news. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm looking to trade for kawaii Japanese fabric or cabochons!  PM me if you're interested!

Visit my etsy shop!   Cute girly clothing and accessories!  bydanalynn.etsy.com
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009 11:40:14 AM »

Yes, and now a site called Make It Sell It is doing the same thing. I do wish people would stop...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Appearing on Television as a Comedian
Learn About the Comedy Club Host
How to Succeed as a Comedian on the Road
Finding Your Unique Voice as a Comedian
How to Produce Yourself as a Comedian
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...