A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
534 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I have an old military trunk... (photo)  (Read 642 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ScrapbookFaery
« on: October 30, 2008 04:23:12 AM »

and I want to turn it into a tv stand. 

We are a military family and just moved to Germany.  Our el-cheapo TV stand was broken in the move and Im trying to figure out a way to use what we have on hand as a new TV stand for the living room.  We have a military trunk that my hubby got at our last base.  Trunk measurements are   36 x 20 7/8 x 18 (LxWxH).  Basically, we're just going to sit the tv on the trunk lid but it's not that simple.  The lid bows a tiny bit so I am going to put a board on top that reaches the full length to sit the tv on.  Only one part of the old tv stand was broken so Im going to use the base board from it as the support board.  The tv is a Hitachi 42 flat screen LCD so it needs a decent amount of support underneath it.  The trunk is that dark military green on both the wooden sides and the metal frame.  I want to paint it another color.  Not sure what color yet.  I know Ill have to prime the wood and then paint it. 

That brings me to what I need help with.  How do I pretty up the metal frame?  Or at least clean the paint off of it and make it shiny.  I think one part even has some rust on it.  I'm also thinking about making a table runner to go over the "base board" and have it drape down the sides of the trunk to the floor.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scrapbookfaery/2986630762/

Any ideas are welcome!

Melissa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008 06:48:09 PM »

I gave an old footlocker an Asian look by painting the whole thing glossy Chinese Red, then painting the edge trim glossy black.  I meant to gold leaf the corners and lock, but never got around to it.

You could go with a "treasure chest" look by giving it a wood faux finish and painting the trim and hardware black to look like iron.

Or paint it a weathered blue or green and freehand or stencil flowers on it for a northern-European country look.

You could also sand the metal parts with very fine sandpaper--600 grit or higher--to clean and polish it.  Even higher grits or metal polish will make it shinier.

My dad was in the Marines.  Mom says that three military moves equals total destruction by fire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." - Scott Adams
bliss2187
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008 07:52:49 AM »

My husband also recommended the sanding technique for bringing the metal back.

I was thinking that instead of using a piece of wood on the top of the trunk for support, that you could build a wooden frame inside the trunk that would support it from the inside.  I'm not sure if it would work in this case without seeing the trunk, but it may look nice and keep the visual integrity of the outside of the trunk.  Just a suggestion.  It would be a bit more work but nothing showing outside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lemon Yoghurt Cake Recipe
Banoffee Pie Recipe
How to Make Apple Pie Chimichangas
How to Make Angel Food Cake
How to Make Crunchy Fried Bananas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...