A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,927
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Semi-Newbie...needing advice  (Read 487 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dessadoll
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 30, 2008 03:24:14 AM »

I learnt to crochet 19 years ago.  However, I didn't do it for about 15 of those years.  And just recently started again.  I really don't do anything fancy.  Single, double and triple crochet.  That's about it.  I have done a shell blanket once.  I have become a pro however at making clothes for baby dolls on the spot.  (My daughter will want a new dress for her doll, so I'll make it while watching a movie.)  Nothing fancy, just easier to crochet around something than use a pattern.

So the issue.  I'm making a baby blanket for my new nephew.  And I need idea's on how to finish it off.  Patterns boggle my mind.  I do much better by watching someone else do it.  Anyway, do anyone have any ideas for a simply border to finish off a blanket for a boy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008 05:32:55 AM »

It depends on the stitch pattern, but I usually finish my baby blankets with a row or two of dc around the edge, just do 3 dc in each corner and you should be fine.

I'm not sure if you've decided on a pattern for the blanket, but there's a lot you can do with single, double, and triple crochet stitches.  The simplest thing is to just pick a stitch (I usually do dc) and keep going until it's the size you want.  The fun part comes with colour changes.  Horizontal stripes are really easy to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dessadoll

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008 08:31:07 AM »

I guess I should have added that.  I'm doing the main blanket all double crochet.  Large light green stripes with thin ivory stripes between.  I was thinking about using the ivory as the border.  I really don't know what else to do from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008 09:42:00 AM »

That sounds lovely!

A dc border should look just fine with it.  When you go along the sides, you do two dc in each stitch (I normally do one into the stitch itself, and one into the top of the stitch... you might notice that there's already a hole there to work with).  On my first one I went *around* the stitch and it left holes all along the side.  It looked ok on its own, but the top and bottom didn't match so it looked weird.

If you wanted another finishing technique, there's a reverse single crochet that's kind of neat, depending on the yarn you're using.  It's basically worked the same as a regular sc, but instead of moving to the left for the next stitch, you go to the right.  It's a bit tricky at first, but after a couple of stitches you get the hang of it.

Whatever you decide, a round of dc first will make whatever edging you choose a lot easier to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Candice Swanepoel Answers #NoFilter Questions
Holiday Beauty Gifts for $30 or Less
The 6 Best Red Lipsticks
Is Your Pillowcase Making You Breakout?
How Alcohol Sabotages Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...