A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a pattern  (Read 9709 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Holliehood
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012 02:10:23 PM »

So what is the general consensus on the "best" program - paid or otherwise? I think I've heard the most on PC Stitch and HobbyWare, so I'd guess one of those? I'd like to start selling patterns in the future so I'd like to invest my time/money in a reliable program.

Oh and question! I've seen users on Etsy with their (computer generated, not physically made) pattern previews displayed on hoops - do they photoshop that themselves or does it come as a feature with one of these programs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhaben
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2012 11:36:45 AM »

If you use Linux, there is KXStitch.  It is free and works great.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/kxstitch/index.php?title=Main_Page

In the olden days, I would use an opaque projector and shine the photo on a piece of graph paper and trace the areas of the main colors.  I also have used a light box and graph paper, or when completely desperate, I have used a window on a sunny day and taped the image and graph paper to it to trace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Krafty_Karasu
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

call me KK :)

peace, love & candy corn!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2013 11:17:21 PM »

ok, so this subject is kinda old, but it's EXACTLY what I was going to ask about.  after reading through the responses, I have just one question; I'm liking HobbyWare, BUT, does it list the floss colors?  that's my main problem.  I actually have been making my patterns for cross stitch and square stitch bead weaving using MS Paint XP for years, but now I have a picture I want to convert into a pattern (which I can still do with MS Paint XP), but I want the colors to be right.  I'm bad at eyeballing it and guessing.  I really don't want to mess this one up.  so, can anyone tell me if it lists floss colors?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will swap for ceramic bisque steer skulls!
Always in need of things like these!!!
Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
LOTS of fabric available too!!
Listessa

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2013 12:40:24 AM »

Does HobbyWare still have the free trial portion so you could take it for a test run?

I've been using that KG-Chart (and beading version) for a couple of years now and am really happy with the results on both.  I can tell you for a fact KG DOES list floss (or bead) colors.  Pretty awesome all in all.  I don't have the latest versions, as I don't think windows XP is supported for the newest version, but they might be a little fancier too. 

Other than that, I just don't remember which program listed what.  Sorry KK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2013 02:17:20 AM »

HobbyWare is free.  but I didn't want to bother with it if it doesn't do what I want it to do.  Sad  I'll have to keep looking, but thanks anyway.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Found another soup of acrylic, seed, glass, wood, polymer, metal, and shell beads!  PM me if you want to swap!!
Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2013 02:43:56 AM »

I snagged the freeware version of KG, and while I can't see that it's listing the colors used in the picture, I still may be able to make it work!!!  it'll take a little time, but it's better than trying to guess.  Grin  Grin  Grin

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heh...I figured it out.  duh me.  now, to figure out how to tell what color is what...

again, I'm a little slow.  this is going to make making patterns out of pictures SO easy...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013 02:56:02 AM by Krafty_Karasu » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2013 02:02:11 AM »

I snagged the freeware version of KG, and while I can't see that it's listing the colors used in the picture, I still may be able to make it work!!!  it'll take a little time, but it's better than trying to guess.  Grin  Grin  Grin

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heh...I figured it out.  duh me.  now, to figure out how to tell what color is what...

again, I'm a little slow.  this is going to make making patterns out of pictures SO easy...

Yay!  I'm so glad you did.  I ADORE KG so hardcore it's insane.  It should list the number of the colors by the big chart, or at least it does on the older versions.  Smiley 

I can't wait to see what you come up with!!!!  It's awesome to find a nice program that works the way you want it to, particularly if it's free. 

I think there are some decent walk throughs of KG on the spritestitch forum too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2013 03:31:53 AM »

the only sad part is that I lost at least one color.  Sad  there should b 3 yellows, but it only picked up 2.  it could be because there wasn't a matching DMC color?  I dunno, but the pattern still looks good, so I'm not going to worry about it.  Smiley

I'll have to take a look at the walkthroughs at some point.  right now, I'm just going to stitch what I have.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa

Buried in Beads!

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2013 12:07:45 AM »

When you do the pattern import thing to create your pattern, you can change the maximum number of colors, sometimes the default is too small. 

Otherwise, it can be stubborn about which colors it thinks you need sometimes.   Roll Eyes  I have had to redrew part of a bead pattern before because I just didn't like the way it converted from the original graphic.   

YAY!  Good luck on the new project.  I'm anxiously awaiting when you post the finished project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krafty_Karasu

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2013 12:27:21 AM »

I never thought about the number of colors.  that could be it.  oops.  next time!  lol.  this pattern still looks good.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Tips for Rocking Red Lips
9 Beauty Hacks You Have to Try
How to Get Faux-Looking Lashes with Baby Powder
VF COLLECTIONS: Blumarine Spring/Summer 2015 - Milan Fashion Week
VF COLLECTIONS: Chado Ralph Rucci Autumn/Winter 2011-2012 -NYFW
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...