A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,513
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a pattern  (Read 9067 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008 03:02:27 PM »

Very nice! I agree, PC stitch is the way to go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SugarySweet
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008 04:15:13 PM »

Do you have Paintshop or Photoshop?  You can look for a Tut to turn a picture into a color page.

I would just turn it black and white, play with the adjustments a bit to make the lines a little darker and print it on copy paper. Tape it to a window and trace it with disappearing ink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizap
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008 04:43:20 PM »

I haven't used it so I don't know all the specifics but I think a program like PC Stitch would be great if you want to do a very detailed crosstitch piece.   If you are just looking to do simple embroidery I would just grab some tracing paper and an embroidery pencil like this one:

http://www.ineedlework.com/emtrpe.html

You can find them for less than $2 at most craft stores.  Then just trace your image in as much detail as you like.  Once your image looks the way you like just turn it over and iron on to your fabric.  Just keep in mind that the image will be reversed (this is really only an issue if you are adding any text).

Happy Stitching!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2008 05:41:33 AM »

If you just want the ONE photo, I'd suggest downloading the trial version of HobbyWare (free) and doing it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fatewineroses
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008 08:28:48 PM »

That's awesome.  I tried it on a picture of my dog and it seems to do a decent job.  Although I don't crossstitch much so it might be better to have someone a bit more experienced with that medium check it out.

Addition:  I didn't notice it before, but at the bottom it translates it into DMC numbers.  Shocked
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008 08:30:00 PM by fatewineroses » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist
Uncertain Creativity
seekingstars on etsy
SiakelA
Summer is finally here again!

Wit beyond measure...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2008 11:29:12 AM »

This is great for simple images! I'm not sure how it will work with anything more complicated, because of the size limit. But still!! This is exactly what I was looking for! Smiley

I know this is a week or two old, but I do know of an online picture to chart converter here:
http://www.patternsforyou.com/en/pattern_maker.html

I have not yet tried it on a photo, but I have used it for some smaller graphic conversions and it seems pretty decent.  To adjust the pattern size you do have to go to the advanced settings link and it only will create a pattern up to 100 cells/stitches. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Listessa
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Summertime Slacker Crafter

Buried in Beads!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2008 03:15:06 PM »

I'm glad I could help you out!  It took me a while to dig that one up, as I kept finding links for the darklilac converter that doesn't exist anymore.  So far it has done the job for some small sprite based patterns- and the colors it suggests have been right on so far. 

I think I am going to use any spare cash I get as a gift this holiday to purchase one of those real pattern converters...  it might be easier to get the colors just so with more complex stuff- and use some of the gee-wiz nifty features they all talk about having too.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to de-stash cross stitch magazines, particularly Cross Stitch Gold or New Stitches?  Please drop me a line!  I'd love to swap or buy some missing from my library!
Sillybowtie
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008 11:48:08 AM »

Found this site, but it only does it in font.  But it has several variations, so that's useful:  http://www.crosstitch.com/fontform.html

This one is for knit, but it might work fairly well.  But it won't do the color conversion of course: http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

This is a program for purchase, but if you only have one pattern they have a free evaluation period: http://www.pcstitch.com/

I couldn't find any others so far.  I'll try looking more later.

Thanks so much for this link, I am making a knitted laptop case for my boyfriend but wanted to have a symbol from a game he likes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onecraftygreek
Like it says im one crafty greek

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2008 09:34:50 AM »

When my Toyota (Tony Toyota) died a few years ago, I made a memorial embroidery of him. I just printed out the picture of him on my home printer. I traced it with a fine point sharpie then, using a light box traced that onto a separate paper with an iron transfer pencil. Then just ironed it on to my fabric. TaDa! Sorry I don't have a picture of it to share. It was super cute, i made him in a field surrounded by flowers with a rainbow over him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sundayafternoonhousewife
Super Crafty

handmade crafts and unsolicited advice

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2009 10:24:51 AM »

Hi, so I want to make something very special for some one and cross stitch a very unique picture for them, but I completely lack the skills to make the pattern my self. What is an easy way to do this besides paying $50 like I found online. Does anyone know or have the software and could suggest what is best to use/ find use of.

And, if it is ok that I say this here, I am willing to do a personal swap for something you might like with someone who can make a professional looking cross stitch pattern for me. I don't want to post the pic here, but if you really need to see it first, PM me. It's actually, probably surprisingly simple....I just lack the skills to make the pattern.

Thanks for help/advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Crafty bit of the internet:
http://sundayafternoonhousewife.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Poinsettia Place-Cards
How to Make a Ribbon Christmas Tree
How to Stretch a Canvas
How to Make Christmas Centerpieces
How to Make Christmas Sachets
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...