A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
842 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: felted beads... and example of how to use them - in action on gloves tutorial  (Read 5123 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 04, 2005 02:39:29 PM »

Hi thanks, I'll add some pictures for the tute soon...
what you need: kool aid, roving, vinegar, water, a couple bowls, a hot water boiler or pot on a stovetop, Ivory dishsoap, and Mister Clean Gloves
This is how I make the beads:
1) Take roving and dye it with kool aid: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=4268.0
2) Heat water with a couple squirts of  Ivory
3) Pinch one or two colors of roving together and dip them into the water
4) Roll the roving in your hands like you would a clay ball.... experiement with pressure and speed... you'll feel the felted bead get tight and then you can put it in a bowl to dry ( I use record bowl! haha) I find that when you paid natural white roving with a color they look really whimsical b/c of the contrast
The soap will make lots of bubbles and your bead will look a lot nicer when it dries
Also if you get a "butt" just take a small amount of roving and drape it over the whole bead and roll again. Try and do this before the bead gets too dry.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012 04:47:46 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saree
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005 05:07:38 PM »

Those are adorable!!  Do you just roll dyed wool and water to make the beads?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005 05:44:06 PM »

Those are adorable!!  Do you just roll dyed wool and water to make the beads?

Yup, I use uhm Ivory soap... I think. You should use a soap that is biodegradeable or however you spell that. I have a little hot water boiler that I can take with me wherever so I have hot water to use wherever I go... and I wear gloves when I felt them b/c my hands get wrecked otherwise! They are easy to make, but the more you do the better you get. (lots of times you get bumps and "buttcracks") I also dye the wool myself with kool aid. It's fun to experiment with different types of wools. You get different textures.

I just put my ebay store back up! Someone hacked into my account and sold a bunch of flat screen tvs! ahhh ... so it was down for a while. Anyway I have more pictures in some of the felted bead listings there: http://stores.ebay.com/rachelmarie_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQstorecachemissZrachelmarieQQtZkm

If you need any help making them or want any advice on where to buy wool or how to dye with kool aid let me know... <3 Thanks for the post. I'm so psycho about these beads. I was hoping someone would reply! haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saree
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005 05:47:02 PM »

So much fun.  All the more reason for me to get off my butt and buy some roving.  I keep saying I'm going to pick some up and play with Kool-Aid dying.  I think it's about time I get to it!  They would be so fun instead of fringe along the end of a scarf or wrap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005 05:54:29 PM »

So much fun.  All the more reason for me to get off my butt and buy some roving.  I keep saying I'm going to pick some up and play with Kool-Aid dying.  I think it's about time I get to it!  They would be so fun instead of fringe along the end of a scarf or wrap!

Omgosh... yes. I had a scarf on at a show that I had been wearing for a couple weeks... it had red and pink beads on the end... and a keyhole, and it was red eyelash plyed together with pink acrylic yarn... very whimsical. I sell my scarves with vintage pins on them and this one had a silver heart on it. Anyway to say the least it was sweet... and I sold it right off my neck! haha I figured, hey, I can make another and I wore it all through Valentines... I sold it for 10 bucks because it was used... bahaha. anyway... yes... they look so whimsical at the ends of scarves.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005 12:24:08 PM »

Yay for felted beads!!  I am in a fibers class right now, and one of my classmates combined her felted beads with the coiling technique we learned.. she is coiling a basket with some raffia-type material and using the felted beads as spacers around the top portion.  It looks so cute.  Wish I had a picture to show everyone. 

Anyway, I would really love some info about dyeing wool with Koolaid!  We have access to the fiber-reactive dyes and chemicals, but it would be fun to play with something different, and Koolaid colors are so bright!  Do they fade quickly?  Bleed?  Do you use other chemicals?  Any info would be fantastic.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005 11:38:46 PM »

Yay for felted beads!!  I am in a fibers class right now, and one of my classmates combined her felted beads with the coiling technique we learned.. she is coiling a basket with some raffia-type material and using the felted beads as spacers around the top portion.  It looks so cute.  Wish I had a picture to show everyone. 

Anyway, I would really love some info about dyeing wool with Koolaid!  We have access to the fiber-reactive dyes and chemicals, but it would be fun to play with something different, and Koolaid colors are so bright!  Do they fade quickly?  Bleed?  Do you use other chemicals?  Any info would be fantastic.  Thanks!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=4268.0
that's how i got most of my info... I use a microwave, vinegar, and a few packs of kool aid.
I haven't washed my beads really... but whenever some dyed wool from my pockets accidently goes through the wash the color stays the same. There's info on that post about that I think. I doubt you would want to wash felted beads much anyway except by hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snlfreak83
Hemp Kitty Art

The Crafty Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005 11:27:42 AM »

wow, i have never heard of those. they are sooooooooo cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafty kid. I just can't help myself.
amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005 11:17:16 AM »

Thanks for the dyeing link!  I am going to try this ASAP.  Koolaid ahoy.  Does the wool end up smelling strongly (or mildly, I suppose) of vinegar?  Or Koolaid for that matter, as my boy just pointed out? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
imamunke
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005 11:27:45 AM »

Super cute, they look like candy!
I would love an explanation of how they are made, if it wouldn't be too much of a bother.
Thanks for sharing artistrachelmarie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Buy the ticket ... Take the ride"  ~Hunter S. Thompson
1937-2005 RIP
artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005 12:56:11 PM »

Super cute, they look like candy!
I would love an explanation of how they are made, if it wouldn't be too much of a bother.
Thanks for sharing artistrachelmarie

Hi thanks,
what you need: kool aid, roving, vinegar, water, a couple bowls, a hot water boiler or pot on a stovetop, Ivory dishsoap, and Mister Clean Gloves
This is how I make the beads:
1) Take roving and dye it with kool aid: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=4268.0
2) Heat water with a couple squirts of  Ivory
3) Pinch one or two colors of roving together and dip them into the water
4) Roll the roving in your hands like you would a clay ball.... experiement with pressure and speed... you'll feel the felted bead get tight and then you can put it in a bowl to dry ( I use record bowl! haha) I find that when you paid natural white roving with a color they look really whimsical b/c of the contrast
The soap will make lots of bubbles and your bead will look a lot nicer when it dries
Also if you get a "butt" just take a small amount of roving and drape it over the whole bead and roll again. Try and do this before the bead gets too dry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imamunke
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005 05:10:38 PM »

I'm a tool. Sorry... I guess I just didn't see that you had instructions listed in your original post.
It sounds like great fun, can't wait to get my hands on some roving.
Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Buy the ticket ... Take the ride"  ~Hunter S. Thompson
1937-2005 RIP
artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005 06:40:09 PM »

I'm a tool. Sorry... I guess I just didn't see that you had instructions listed in your original post.
It sounds like great fun, can't wait to get my hands on some roving.
Thanks again!

nah i just modified it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CatSlave
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005 12:11:05 PM »

OK.  I've searched and googled and looked in the dictionary.
What is roving?Huh  Is it unspun fibres?  Will this technique work at all on spun wool??
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artistrachelmarie
Rachel Marie

Knitty Dirty Girl

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005 01:23:36 PM »

OK.  I've searched and googled and looked in the dictionary.
What is roving?Huh  Is it unspun fibres?  Will this technique work at all on spun wool??
Thanks.

yeah it's just "unspun wool" any kind of wool will work, even scraps of old 100% wool yarns...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AmeliaTherese
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2005 11:12:26 PM »

those are the cutest things EVER

I love them. And it's just hitting winter here in Australia now (though we are still devoid of cool weather) and it's just in time ot make them.

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Crafting Sue
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013 09:46:33 AM »

looks like a perfect project for a girl scout troop.  Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Best Trends From London Fashion Week!
10 Heinous Trends From the 2000s That Should Never Come Back
How to Remove Wrinkles from Clothing Without an Iron!
Guide to Wearing Your Little Black Dress
The Fit Housewives of Arizona Photo Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...