A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,167
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what kind of kiln do you have?  (Read 2024 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftymamaof1
« on: October 28, 2008 03:53:01 PM »

can  somebody recommend a small kiln. that runs on 110. i want  to  use it to slump bottles  initially, maybe more later. one that i can run in the kitchen with the windows open wide.thanks,jenifer
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nemaihne
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008 12:35:04 AM »

I have a Paragon SC2 that I love, but it's too small to fuse bottles. Interior is about 7 1/2 x 7 1/2.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ransufodo
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008 10:37:21 PM »

More than you asked for, but here goes....

I have two kilns that run on 110: 1) An old Paragon GF8B glass kiln. It's one of the largest 110 kilns I've seen, with a hexagonal shelf (6-sided) that's 15.5 inches across.  2) A newer Skutt Hotstart with a 13" round shelf - perhaps too small for melting wine-sized bottles.  Here's a Paragon Fusion7 that's similar - http://www.paragonweb.com/FUSION7.cfm.

Things I'd check/look for:
1) If you're going with 110, check the amperage as well. My larger kiln is 17 amps and requires that I plug it only into outlets that are connected to 20 amp circuit breakers.  The smaller runs on 15 amps.
2) Some older kilns don't have digital controllers.  You REALLY want a programmable controller if you're going to work with big/thick pieces of glass like bottles since they need highly controlled temperature changes, otherwise they'll break.  My older kiln  has an infinity controller (not a programmable digital controller), and I've spent 8 hours sitting with it, constantly adjusting the controller to manage the temperature changes. 

Good luck!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftymamaof1
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008 04:39:23 AM »

thank you so much for replying.i have figured out  that i'm going to need at least a 15" kiln, which is going to cost a little more than i was wanting to spend. also i'm not so sure about the electrical part of it. i live in a old house that has been totally remodeled,but the wiring is screwy.i did not understand the amp thing. so i think i'm going to hold off for a while on buying one. even tho i am itching to get started. alot of decisions,huh? thanks,jenifer
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aheartofglass
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008 01:55:27 PM »

I love my Paragon kiln. I have a J14 that runs on household current but requires a special plug. Big enough to do bottles - one at a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster keeps the whimsey in my life!
GlassElements
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009 06:38:41 PM »

I just got my Skutt HotStart Pro, and unfortunately Cry, my OLD apt isn't equipped with the 20amp circuit breaker.  I thought it would work on a 15amp one, but it can't reach the appropriate temp.  Nice.  I'm so sad.  Anyone know a way around this? 

Other than moving, which I'm now definitely planning on doing. 

Marja
Glass Elements
www.glasselements.etsy.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joby560
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009 06:17:48 PM »

I have the Paragon FIREFLY, digital controller.  Too small to do bottles, but it is perfect for the kitchen 120V, 8x8" interior about 4.5 " deep.  Great first kiln.  You can get them for $500 with the digital controller, or you can get the manual controller with perom. for $315 at mudinmatter.com 

GREAT kiln to start with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...So...This is what insanity must be like, I thought.....and I could kind of see the appeal.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Easter Baskets with Dian Thomas
DIY Statement Necklace with P.S. I Made This
How to Make a DIY Chalkboard
Non-Messy Easter Kids Crafts
Creative Alternatives to Pumpkin Carving
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pallet Shelf
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...