A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,572
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn Use Question  (Read 390 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rbitg
« on: December 02, 2008 10:03:44 AM »

Hi! I'm a newbie here. What a great bunch of forums with a lot of talented people.

I haven't done any crocheting for a long time, but I used to do a lot before I had kids. I made a skinny scarf for one daughter to get back in practice, then yesterday I took my other daughter to the store and had her pick out some yarn to make her one too. She picked out some Boucle yarn and I didn't give it any thought until I started working with it. I started with  a G hook, but switched to a J hook since I couldn't see the chain stitches at all. I still can't see them much at all with the J hook, but I managed to sc across it.  I'm working blindly and I keep missing stitches, so my project is shrinking as I go. I'm going to start over. Any suggestions from those of you who have worked with this thin yarn? It has small loops, which are what makes it hard to see the stitches since they fill in all the openings. She keeps telling me not to bother, that she'll pick out something else, but I want to do it with the one she chose. She wants tight stitching, so I'm using sc for all of it. I've just been picking up one loop of the chain and that helps some. It's nice looking, but hard to work with. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Naff Productions
Make things so far out they're in!

You look marvelous

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008 01:34:39 PM »

Sometimes you can feel the stitch with your left hand (if you're right handed) to find the top loops.  But that can get tedious if you have to stop and do it for every stitch.  The other trick is to use a smooth, lighter weight yarn along with the loopy yarn (hold the two yarns together and use them as one).  You can see the smooth yarn easier - especially if you use a contrasting color.  You could even try crochet cotton along with the boucle.  Hope that helps some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naff1 (nf)  adj. Chiefly British Slang.
Unstylish, clichd, or outmoded.

naff2 (nf)  intr.v. Chiefly British Slang. naffed, naffing, naffs
To fool around or go about: naffing about in a tutu (Suzanne Lowry).
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008 05:37:22 AM »

Here is a purse I made with the same yarn: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=279805.msg3167597#msg3167597

It can be tricky to deal with, especially if you're new to crocheting, so what you've experienced is normal! 

The beauty with this kind of yarn is that not only does the fuzziness keep you from seeing what you're doing, it can also keep people from seeing what you're doing wrong!

If you wanted to try again, this is what I'd do:  Be very careful to get every stitch into the base chain.  After that, count your stitches as you go.  If it's an extra wide scarf, maybe use a stitch marker or a piece of contrasting yarn to mark the middle.  This way, if you're nearing the end of the row and you realize that you've skipped a stitch somewhere, add another one in.  As long as you don't miss too many it shouldn't affect the shaping of the scarf too much. 

I've made a few scarves out of this yarn, but they were all in dc.  If the one you're making doesn't work out, maybe try that.  I know your daughter wanted a tight stitch, and you can certainly go buy new yarn for that, but trying this yarn with a dc stitch might be a bit easier and you can get used to how the yarn works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spacecat888
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008 12:55:52 PM »

My best friend sent me a skein of boucle for Christmas a while ago, and I only recently worked it up... the fuzziness that's so appealing in the skein is murder on your eyes and patience when it's on your hook! 

However, I just got a Crochet Lite http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2873&PRODID=prd58617 hook, and it's WONDERFUL for yarns where stiches are hard to see!  Since the hook itself lights up, you can use it to backlight the yarn and find each stich you need!

The only heads-up you need is that the lighted hook portion is plastic, so 1) it may feel "squeaky" with certain yarns if you crochet tightly, so try to keep it a little more relaxed than with a metal hook, and 2) if you push or pull too hard while crocheting (hey! I said keep it loose!) you can cause stress fractures in the plastic, which could eventually cause it to break. 

Aside from that (and you'll always use it gently from now on, right? Right?)  it's the very best way I've found to work up all the fun textured yarns without getting frustrated and tossing a partially-finished project to the bottom of my WIP basket  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rbitg
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008 02:44:07 PM »

Thank you for all the ideas! I couldn't log in for several day, so my apology for my late thank you.

I tore out my first attempt and then started counting the stitches on the new one and after 1/2 a dozen rows I was able to stop counting since I got the feel of it and now it's going along fine, although slower than other yarns I've used, but not too bad.

Those lighted hooks sound like a good thing. The yarn I got has 3 tones of blue, with one being navy and that's the slowest part to work with, so a light would help that.

Thanks again!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cocomarie
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008 12:25:02 PM »

good advice...I have been having the same issues with this furry black yarn...it's pretty but i can't see the stitches and it is just not looking how I want it to....think i am gonna scrap it.
i may try crocheting with the regular yarn. that is genuis
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008 12:28:31 PM »

Well, think of it this way:  You're familiar with crochet and how it's supposed to look and you can't tell where the stitches are... so how will the non-crocheters know if you missed a stitch and then added another one somewhere else?  As long as it doesn't get *too* wonky, which you can avoid by counting your stitches every row, then you needn't worry. ^_^

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Style Straight Hair for a Long Face
How to Style Thick Hair for a Heart Shaped Face
How to Style Fine Thinning Hair to a Round Face
How to Style Thick Wavy Hair for a Round Face
Hair Styling Tips for an Oval Face
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...