A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,739
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Which Hook Would They Have to Pry From Your Cold Dead Hands---Just For Fun  (Read 1930 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

evilsarah
« on: October 28, 2008 12:48:24 PM »

So, I was crocheting along today starting what I'm sure will become yet another WIP hangin out in my closet when I realized that I ALWAYS use the G hook...

So I was just wondering...

Which hook would they have to pry from YOUR cold dead hands?

Discuss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RebelTrendsetter
You Can't Always Judge a Yarn by it's Roving.

Part time Domestic Goddess, full time Art Geek

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008 03:07:11 PM »

I have two, H and K. I'm always using h for smaller projects and K for larger projects. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Formerly Known As: DesignVigilante
Pintrest! -- Etsy Shop --
soulfool
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008 04:46:13 PM »

Oh yeah, I definitely used my G waaaaaaaay too much.
I'm surprised I haven't lost any of my G hooks already.

Though for hats and other such things, I normally use an H, I, or J.
I've even used my N hook a few times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hi, I'm in your boards, acting like a stupid.
cjgeo
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008 05:24:21 PM »

I tend to use an H a lot for some reason.

But the only one that I have a real sentimental attachment for is the cherrywood one that my father-in-law carved for me when I was still a newlywed.  I don't even know for sure what size it it, but it will always have a place of honor in my work basket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008 05:57:07 PM »

Specifically - my Susan Bates bamboo handled G hook.
I suspect that I will be cremated with it in hand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008 06:02:21 PM »

j hook, for sure, i use it on everything really....there is another hook i love..it came with my knifty knitter, but it doesnt have a size guage on it, so its just my big pink hook
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
angeltreats
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008 01:21:57 AM »

In the UK we don't use letters, we use millimeters.  My favouritest hook is a Clover Soft Touch (one of these in a size 4mm.  Although I like 3mm and 3.5mm too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

madidolly
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008 02:22:53 AM »

I'm forever using my I hook.  My pink "I" (ha) is my favorite.  Sometimes I'll use my I  hook even if the pattern calls for an H or J when gauge isn't super important.  I avoid using the J hook cause I don't like the feel or shape of it.  I favor the old Susan Bates hooks (the ones with a more rounded head).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AttieNichole

Welcoming Spring!

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008 10:59:20 AM »

My red I hook.  I can't even begin to tell you how much I've used it.  If only hooks could talk, I wonder how many crazy things it would say...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

attienichole.etsy.c om
ecozombie.etsy.com
pinterest.com/aimeetraveler
starfishsea
Sea Star Stitches

Beach Bunny Designs

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008 11:20:35 AM »

Same with me!

G hook for everything, except if it's a bigger project then I usually use J.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama to a 3 year old and a 1 year old!
My Etsy Shop: http://beachbunny.etsy.com
Blog: http://sandsurfandcraftyness.blogspot.com
I love personal swaps.
cat9

I've got a hook and I'm not afraid to use it.

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008 10:17:01 AM »

My trusty aluminum K hook. I have a bit of a tension problem, so I always end up using larger hooks. The K hook is what I always end up using for worsted weight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilsarah
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008 12:27:17 PM »

It's funny because I only ever use the Bates hooks. I haven't really tried to use anything else...but I bet if I did I would have a fit because it wasn't the same.

We're weird.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brookelynne
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008 06:21:33 AM »

I have a wooden hood my friend carved for me in exchange for a hat, I use it for everything that I don't use a pattern for because I'm not sure what guage it is, but I've always got it on me regardless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bubblegum_phoenix
never admit defeat, just say it was artistic licence

do what you love, love what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008 07:52:28 PM »

NZ use mm instead of letters as well, and although I have about 26 hooks now (I was lucky enough to receive my Nannies hooks after she passed away) my entire family know that you touch my yellow thick handled 3.5 I will throw things at you  Grin it was my first hook and the one I learnt with  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/sasha_tilson/

glitter it, no seriously, just add glue and glitter, no one will notice
Alliecat30
I like to make things...

break it down....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008 06:31:47 AM »

funny topic Smiley  I probably wouldn't DIE for it (haha)
BUT I love my Clover Soft Touch E Hook for sure----its smaller because I do amigurumi and crochet pretty tight any way.  Using a bigger hook I just notice so many holes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlefawnpug
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Formally known as missmoppet

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008 10:00:49 AM »

When i first started crochet 'k' was my hook of choice, as it was easier to use being kinda big.  But now, my hook of choice is 'h'.  I use it for pretty much every project that i do. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-I give up on making TOL pendants.  If anyone would like to have my stone chips, wire and ect.  I would gladly trade it all for some knitting/crochet stuff.

-Currently crafting.....A Weasley blanket.  I'd love some squares made from fellow Craftsters.
bjrjames
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008 03:54:43 AM »

Most projects it depends on what I'm making, but I'm always using up the leftovers into scrap pieces for scrap afghans and I always use G hooks for those.  That way I never have to guess what hook I was using for them.  Right now I'm making a Spiderman Round Robin with H, a 'larger scrap' afghan with J, hats with H, and the smaller scrap pieces with G.  And the hooks always stay with the project.  If I put it aside for a while, the hook stays with it.  That's why I have so many of each size, How many times do I have to explain that to the hubby?  LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilsarah
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008 02:03:11 PM »

Most projects it depends on what I'm making, but I'm always using up the leftovers into scrap pieces for scrap afghans and I always use G hooks for those.  That way I never have to guess what hook I was using for them.  Right now I'm making a Spiderman Round Robin with H, a 'larger scrap' afghan with J, hats with H, and the smaller scrap pieces with G.  And the hooks always stay with the project.  If I put it aside for a while, the hook stays with it.  That's why I have so many of each size, How many times do I have to explain that to the hubby?  LOL

Me: "I need to buy some yarn and another crochet hook"

My boyfriend "Don't you already have like 10 of them

Me: "They come in different sizes"

Boyfriend "...how many???" because he knows I will not stop until I have them all!  MWAHAHAHAH

But...like he should talk. I collect crochet hooks and knitting needles. He collects guitars. GUITARS! Knitting needles and crochet hooks--like 5 dollars max. Guitar...THOUSANDS!

...seriously...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mommycrochets
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008 08:51:50 AM »

I would have to say my I hook, I rarely use a pattern and find I almost always grab my I hook unless I want something done fast then it's J or P.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shadesofme
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008 10:23:45 AM »

It used to be h, but lately i've been using g hook a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008 05:53:39 PM »

My 4mm ebony hook just may need to be put into my will.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DragonessD
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008 08:35:13 PM »

My dark blue aluminum Boye H-hook. I've had it since ... I don't know when, and it's got this bend from being used so much, and my grip being too tight. It's made dragons, hats, slippers, blankets, amigurumi, scarves, sweaters ... so many projects, it's insane!

G-hooks come and go, but this H-hook, which is SO much darker than the ones I see now ... it's my absolute fave!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mawchickkidie
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008 06:43:42 PM »

I use the provo craft interchangable Hook, but the G, H, and I head sizes are the ones I use the most, with the G showing the most wear. LOL, and the poor handle on my hook shows all kinds of use from teeth marks from me holding it in my mouth while looking for my stitch markers, and cuts and knicks in the plastic and rubber from being tossed in my purse to go along with my on my errands and running kids to this and that. I love my Provo Craft hook set.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GrannysAnnie

"It's always something!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2008 08:26:07 PM »

This thread is hilarious!  I love the fact that we're all insane about our crochet hooks   Cheesy

I'm basically in love with my gold-colored H hook.  I have absolutely no idea what brand it is, but it was my great-grandmother's hook (I called her Granny, thus the screenname  Wink), and it's got this weird hook shape that I've never seen on another hook, like it's flatter or something.  Whatever, it's awesome.  I do pretty much all my amigurumi with it, and anything else unless gauge is super-important.  Occasionally I think I've misplaced it, so I panic big time, but it's always either stuck in a skein of yarn or hiding at the bottom of a tote bag, LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The screenname says it all - I'm my Granny's Annie!

*PhD student and audiologist extraordinaire*
MiLady
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2008 07:53:58 AM »

I have a very nice 4.5mm crochet hook that I adore  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
LadyFiasco
if theres only one truth that i know, its that the stitches that we've made are the best i've ever sewn'- Josh Pyke

No tv, i have a sewing machine and crochet hooks!

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008 04:05:32 AM »

I can't read patterns very well, so i just pick up my trusty H hook (5.00 mm for every one else) and everything so far has worked up nicely!!
Although I'm using a bright green aluminum K hook for the cowl swap i'm doing!

All of my hooks are so special, i've never bought one, only accessories like a 25mm knitting needle for broomstick and a size 4 staple for hairpin...
They are all hand-me-downs from my Greatnan (mums paternal grandmother) and Mum (who have both passed away now) i think that previous hook owners add a little magic to the hooks they use.
I never lend them out, and my sister had the heinous idea of using the  tiny 1.25mm hook to do someones dredlocks...

UGH!! I don't freaking think so!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillvedge
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008 03:13:47 PM »

G banger! If it something else generally I or J.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cocomarie
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008 12:39:53 PM »

I would kill for my purple F hook...i love the little F-er.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilsarah
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2008 01:19:47 PM »

G banger!

LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

halfwaynowhere
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2008 08:43:22 PM »

I love the weight of K hooks... They just sit right in my hand... I or K are the two I use most often... And they have to be Boye. I can't stand the Susan Bates hooks... They just look funny to me, and I've noticed size differences between the two brands. I have one Brittany hook, one of those nice turned wooden ones, but it got sat on and broken... I wanted to get more, since my name is Brittany, so I thought it would be cute, but I'm such a slob, they would get lost and destroyed in seconds. I'm always buying new hooks since I'm always losing mine... I have a bag filled with all sizes of hooks. Then I have a boye set that comes in the zipper case. And I have the provo craft interchangeable set. Do I know where any of those are? No.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
D.J. MacHale Talks About the Morpheus Road Trilogy
Julia Gregson Reveals Her Previous Occupations
Meet Authors Mary and Carol Higgins Clark
Rick Warren Reveals Who He Identifies Most
Susan Cheever Talks About Louisa May Alcott
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...