A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,240
Currently Running With Scissors:
725 Guests and 44 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: magnetic lyrics kit...  (Read 5267 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abricot
« on: February 15, 2004 01:10:18 PM »

I made this for my BF for Valentine's Day... Yea, this is a little late for a V-Day gift idea, but this project could be used as a year-round personalized gift...

http://www.undertheskysoblue.com/xx/magneticlyrics.jpg

No, this is not magnetic poetry... This is magnetic song lyrics!!! My BF is a musician and I thought he'd get a kick out of the quirkiness of song lyrics kit.

I'm sure I am not the first person to think of this, but I thought I'd post how I did it for anyone who is curious or has never done this before....

-----

What I used...
# List of "customized" and basic words
# Magnetic sheet with adhesive backing
# Clear contact paper or a clear sealer/varnish
# Dressed up container to place the finished project in

Since our taste in music is often very different, I started gathering words that were re-occurring or stereotypical, by browsing the lyrics of his favorite bands. Once I was satisfied with a list of words that would "customize" the kit, I rounded the word list out by adding the most commonly used words in the English language. I found a list here:

http://esl.about.com/library/vocabulary/bl1000_list1.htm -  Also to keep the amount of words from being overwhelming, I avoided the break down of words by adding "ing" "ed" etc. on their own to the list.

In order to use as little material as possible, I suggest using a word processing program to arrange the words into columns. I thought of this after the fact, so it took two sheets of paper to fit my list on.

At Michaels I purchased 1 foot by 2 foot "magnetic sheet" with adhesive. They also sold it in single 5" x 8" sheets, but as stated before my words were not place in the most efficient manner so I figured it'd be better to have too much than too little.

I cut two pieces off the magnetic sheet the size of my paper, removed the protective paper from the sticky side of the magnetic sheet, and carefully laid down my word list smoothing out any bubbles.

If the weather would of been more welcoming I would of sprayed the magnetic sheet, after I applied the word list, with a coat of clear sealer, but instead I just put a layer of clear contact paper on top.

I used the binding of a book to smooth over the top of the magnet to make sure all the layers had adhered completely. Then I proceeded to the daunting task of cutting out all the words.

The magnetic lyrics were presented in a box I had decorated with a few pictures, the name of the kit, and the back had silly infomercial style instructions on how to use the kit....

-----

Off the top of my head I could think of all sorts of uses for customized kits... It could range from song lyrics to fan fiction. Even if you took a different approach with the words used you could make a "create a recipe" or "create a craft project" type kits too....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010 03:25:44 AM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: missing pics » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
twiggymissretro
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004 01:21:33 PM »

thats a really good idea...what are the words in...is it an altoid tin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

@missKIRS10
facebook.com/teamkittykoalition
MEOWZZZZZ. xoxo.
abricot
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004 01:25:11 PM »

I found the tin sitting in my closet and I have not a clue where it came from, lol! but I know it is not from altoids...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004 02:00:54 PM »

Thats is fun he must have loved it!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flip Flop
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004 11:48:01 PM »

i love this idea! your presentation of the gift rocks also. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kayceeann
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004 07:05:09 AM »

That is great! My husband would love a gift like that! Awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bagheraa

I'm not a llama! (I am a black leopard)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2004 12:45:07 PM »

Love the idea Smiley I am making a housewarming gift for three friends of mine who have recently moved in together. All of them are working in the same tour operating company and I was thinking about using words from the company's catalogue. I couldn't find any self adhesive magnetic sheet, just the type without glue. What kind of glue should I use for this project?

-bag-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bagheraa is on Ravelry Wink
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lori Bergamotto Pairs Designer and Affordable Pieces for the Perfect Look
Learn to Pair Feminine and Military-Inspired Pieces in One Look
Noelle Sciacca Talks About Snagging Designer Pieces on Sale
A Perfect Outfit for Work
At Home with Jayna Maleri of Lucky Magazine
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...