A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am new and need help  (Read 726 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Madsaw23
« on: October 27, 2008 05:50:00 AM »

Hello! I have been lurking around for the last few weeks and now I have a question. So I am teaching myself to crochet. It has been hard and frustrating. I am working on my first granny square patch blanket thing. I was flying a lot and needed something to keep me busy. Anyway I finally figured out how to make the square. I was so excited and have almost finished all the squares needed. Well now I am freaking out. I have no clue what to do next. I have to join all the squares together and I do not understand the instructions to do it. I went to a book store the other day to find something that could help me but I didn't have any luck.

This blanket has 5 different color squares in it. I am not sure what color I should use to join them or what kind of yarn is needed...or how to do it.

Can anybody point me towards a book that gives very clear instructions on how to join the squares together?

Thank you so much! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KnittinHoney
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008 08:31:49 AM »

Hi!  I'm fairly new to crochet, too, and am joining together granny squares for a lap afghan for a friend.  I'm using single crochet through the back loop (holding the right sides together) to join - I like the look it gives on the right side when done.

Here is the instructions for that - along with other types of joining:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/joining_squares5.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Madsaw23
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008 08:45:32 AM »

Hi!  I'm fairly new to crochet, too, and am joining together granny squares for a lap afghan for a friend.  I'm using single crochet through the back loop (holding the right sides together) to join - I like the look it gives on the right side when done.

Here is the instructions for that - along with other types of joining:

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/joining_squares5.htm

Thank you! I will take a look at that. Did you use a different type of yarn? I don't think I want the yarn joining the squares to be seen. (If possible) I went and got the yarn needle yesterday but the pattern doesn't talk about the yarn to use for joining.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
unikatissima
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008 03:17:05 AM »

I always prefer to join while working, therefore I only know such techniques.

One possibility I know is the "Flat Braid" Square Joining Method. You'd have to crochet a round of chains around every square and join them one by one.

I also found a tutorial on how to join Crazy Daisies with a Granny Square Edging. You could use this technique by simply adding another row around every square and also joining them one by one.

I don't think I want the yarn joining the squares to be seen.
Whichever method you use, you can simply use the 5 colours that are already in your squares.

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madsaw23
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008 08:43:11 AM »

I always prefer to join while working, therefore I only know such techniques.

One possibility I know is the "Flat Braid" Square Joining Method. You'd have to crochet a round of chains around every square and join them one by one.

I also found a tutorial on how to join Crazy Daisies with a Granny Square Edging. You could use this technique by simply adding another row around every square and also joining them one by one.

I don't think I want the yarn joining the squares to be seen.
Whichever method you use, you can simply use the 5 colours that are already in your squares.

Have fun!

I wish I would have joined them as I went but I think it would have been hard. I am going to look at your links and see if it helps me but maybe I could show you the picture of the blanket I am making. I got one of those cheap books at walmart or whatever but the directions for joining aren't very clear.

here is a link to the cover of the book.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/bevfabriccrafts_2021_519927236

When I look at this, I don't see the yarn joining the square. How would I use all 5 colors to join? I may never finish this darn thing!!!

Oh and just a little bit of info about the blanket. There are so many squares and I only did like 5 of them right!!! There was one stitch that kept confusing me but I let it go because the final product looked like the cover. Yesterday after asking this question, I went and looked for answers. I was totally messing up the whole square! This blanket will not be perfect but it has been one heck of a learning experience!

ETA- thank you guys for taking the time to help me out!!! Smiley
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008 08:43:54 AM by Madsaw23 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
unikatissima
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008 01:24:12 AM »

You sound so sad - but you don't have to!  Smiley

All you have to do now is determine the colour distribution and join your squares. Wink

I searched for sites with 'colour arrangement' or 'colour distribution', but didn't found what I was looking for. Quilters have sometimes the same problem like you, but I couldn't find anything.
Instead I found something else: the Charity Granny Blanket.
For the arrangement she writes:
Arrange the squares in a pattern or randomly on a flat surface. (Ironically, the most difficult part of making this blanket can be trying to make the arrangement of squares look random!)
So your colour arrangement:
Many people arrange the squares on the bed or the floor to see how they would like the colour distribution. That's easy and you will immediately see how you like it. (I mean it is easy to lay them out, possibly it's not so easy to find the right arrangement Wink)
She continues:
Once you've decided on your layout of colours, determine a short form for each colour in your blanket. I used hp for hot pink, r for rose, dgr for dark green, m for mint, etc. Grab a piece of paper and pen and write down where each colour square goes, something like this:

hp   dgr   r

m    r     dgr

hp   dgr   m

...and so on. This little chart will come in extremely handy once you start joining them together, especially if you have to put your work away before you're finished!

And concerning the joining she writes:
I like to join two whole rows (or columns) of squares together, from the wrong side, using single crochet, with one long piece of yarn (fewer ends to work in later). In other words, join all horizontal (or vertical) seams first. The squares won't be joined in the other direction, so it will look like a blanket with a lot of slots in it (between the squares). Then I work all seams in the other direction, from one edge of the blanket to the other, again using one long piece of yarn per seam.

Ok, the crochet joining:
After I've seen the photo, I'd say use the joining of the Charity Granny Blanket and sew or the "Flat Braid" Square Joining Method:
  • Take the first square and add a round of the chains in the colour of the square, just like shown in the "Flat Braid" Square Joining Method. She uses (ch 3, skip next st, sc in the next st).
  • Then take the second square, do the same, but join both squares when you reach the last side.
  • Take the third square, add your round of chains and join to the others while working.
  • Continue until you have finished your blanket.
  • Show it to us!  Smiley

And last but not least the question of a 'perfect' blanket: I messed up all of my first projects (mostly potholders) and I don't see why you should have it easier  Wink
Just a joke, I really hope that you can finish the blanket and that you will love it then!
I just took a look at your blog and you have made soo beautiful items, I'm amazed.

By the way: what does 'ETA' mean? (I'm no native English speaker and find all those abbreviations confusing Wink).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008 01:29:03 AM by unikatissima » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madsaw23
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008 08:37:20 AM »

Oh,unikatissima! You have been so helpful to me. It is nice to be able to find help from people like yourself. You gave me so much info to look over.

I am not as stressed out now because I never weaved the ends of my squares in. Now I have to go back and do that for the billion squares I made. Smiley I will have plenty of time to figure all this out.

The book where I got the pattern, has a diagram already in it. So I don't have to worry about where to place the colors at. It is one less thing I have to worry about. Wink

The joining part that you added seems like it will really help me out. I really do appreciate all the effort you have put into helping me understand all of this.

ETA means Edited To Add. I forgot to thank everybody and so I edited my post.

I am not sure what you were talking about with the blog? I don't have one of those and haven't made anything. LOL This blanket will be the first thing.

I think I might have figured it out with the joining tips you gave. Thank you so much!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
unikatissima
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008 09:04:44 AM »

I'm really glad that I could help you Smiley

...because I never weaved the ends of my squares in. Now I have to go back and do that for the billion squares I made. Smiley
I always like doing this while looking TV Smiley

The book where I got the pattern, has a diagram already in it. So I don't have to worry about where to place the colors at. It is one less thing I have to worry about. Wink
That really is great Wink

And thank you for 'translating' ETA to me.

I am not sure what you were talking about with the blog?
This is my signature that shows up automatically whenever I'm posting or sending a personal message.
You can set it in your 'Forum Profile Information'.
You were right, it was confusing when I only mentioned 'blog:', so I changed the text a little.

Have lots of fun crocheting and I really hope that I will see your blanket one fine day Wink
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008 09:06:00 AM by unikatissima » THIS ROCKS   Logged

instantkarma
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008 12:09:50 PM »

I know this might be a little late, but I usually just use embroidery thread or sewing thread and a suitable needle. It seems to give me a stronger hold.
Maybe that information will help someone someday. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

On a swapping hiatus due to college...

http://www.wists.com/cherryxantacids
Madsaw23
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2008 04:08:28 AM »

I know this might be a little late, but I usually just use embroidery thread or sewing thread and a suitable needle. It seems to give me a stronger hold.
Maybe that information will help someone someday. Wink
Nope. You are still on time. LOL  I had to go back and redo a whole bunch of squares. When I started making them they were way to loose. I don't know why I thought I was doing a good job. The squares are suppose to be 3 inch and they were 2 times the size of my head. LOL

Thank you for your tip. I will look into that for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Novelist Chris Cleave
Brando Skyhorse Reveals His Favorite Song
Richard Morais Talks About His Novel the Hundred-Foot Journey
Jason Mattera on Obama Zombies
Brando Skyhorse Reveals His Favorite Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...