A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soo... my sewing machine broke down on me today... and its new  (Read 766 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shesthedope1
« on: October 03, 2008 01:10:37 AM »

I have the Brother innovis-40  and its been doing great-ish.. The bobbin occasionally knots up and is a pain to deal with!!! But when it works its great. Another downer is when Im at a medium speed the machine is jumping like nuts, so its steady only when its slow or fast fast, imagine that! Anyway I love my machine but these things have irritated me to the max, espescially when it finally broke down today! So the 4th part you thread the thread into (if that makes sense? ya know when you go through the numbers until you get to the needle) well yeah the 4th part is missing! I was sewing them my machine made a weird noise then i stopped pressing the foot pedal and the machine started shaking and beeping and then stopped. So i went and rethreaded the bobbin then went to do the upper thread and looky here the metal piece isnt there... Im so devastated. I think Im gonna upgrade Sad meaning Im spending at least 200 more because thats how that upgrade works with the sewing place, it adds the value I paid $400 and then I have to buy a machine thats at least 50% more of what I paid. Im a beginner and I just want a machine that I can love for 20 years. Lalala and I think mines a sucker because its endorsed by "project runway/limited edtion".. That was appealing before and obviously Im paying for the name, not quiality.. I was happy with my machine, Ive had it for about a month, I just really think the quality is not up to par because of the endorsement so I am gonna spend more $ to hopefully get a better machine! Anyway this was my vent, if youve read this thanks lol. Let me know if youve had this experience! I think Ill get a viking or pfaft.. Going in tomorrow bright and early. Tata!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008 04:58:19 AM »

I'll be honest, I don't think much of the low end Brother or Singer machines, not even brand new.

Pfaff are good machines as are Viking, but you might want to look at Janome too, they tend to be a little bit less that the other two brands and just as good.

Anything breaking after one month is bad news :/ good thing it happened fast enough that you should be able to return it. And I do mean return, not trade in. Don't let them give you a line of BS, you've had it a month & it broke, that should be a cash back or at least store credit situation IMO.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bolsachica
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008 07:00:28 AM »

Unless you buy really high end, a lot of "newer" machines just don't have the quality you are looking for. You might want to return this one, and go to a sewing store that has refurbished "older" models. I have a Bernina that is 24 years old (got it a year ago) and it is simply the best. My mom has had an old Elna for 15 years and is super happy with it too. Those old Swiss or German all-metal machines are just so reliable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like unique and custom handbags, check out my blog and my etsy.
shesthedope1
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008 02:06:41 PM »

Update! Welll with the shop I bought it at "quality sewing and vacc" there are no returns!!!!!!!! So all they could do was fix it. She swappped out a part for another one from the sewing machine on display so I didnt have to wait for it to be fixed. And it works greaay now, but still I am erkkked by what happened. Espescially the fact that it was made in asia. What do you guys think of higher end computerized machines? Or do you reccomend a mechanical/electrical one..? I feel more open to computerized because I dont have to really fuss with the settings, Im thinking a pfaff or emerald/viking computerized. they range from 650 - 1500.. I have to buy from this place again because thats the only way I can "return" the one I have now, by upgrading.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008 03:28:08 PM »

I would NOT shop someplace like that. That kind of policy just screams "we know we are selling crap!". It's great if they take trade ins toward upgrades, it's not cool that a one month old machine cannot be returned as defective.

Janome & Toyota are Japanese & both have pretty good reputations.

I'd go in & sew on every machine they have & then start shopping on line. Yes, I know all the people who hear me say "don't buy without trying" will shake their fists at me. You are trying, as long as you are buying new or from someplace that does have reasonable return policies, you'll be fine Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
autotrophic
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008 12:18:53 PM »

the least expensive brother machines that they sell at like costco and stuff are made a lot differently than the machines they sell in actual sewing machine stores (like anything where they tell you all the prices online is gonna be significantly lower quality than the ones you have to go into the store and find out for yourself).   there is also a pretty big difference between the innovis 40 and the innovis 80...they are both pretty basic machines but the 80 is a bit heavier weight so it can take more sewing and some heavier fabrics without shaking around so much.  if you were going to upgrade to a better brother machine then i would go with an innovis 80 or the NX450Q, which is a jump in the price but is a WAY sturdier machine... my sister went through a pretty similar fiasco w/ sewing machines and ended up w/ the 450Q, and she is totally happy with it. 

i have a pfaff, and i love it...they can sew on anything and they last forever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
XOXO Dirty Off: Whose Sexy Book Is Filthier?
XOXO Confessions: Jennifer Probst
Philippa Gregory on Her Audiobooks
A Lakeside Q&A with Ryan Winfield
History in Five: Abraham Lincoln and the Emancipation Proclamation
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...