A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wild Game Recipes  (Read 564 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

floydh2
« on: October 26, 2008 02:14:19 PM »

So I need some help with thinking of something to do with some deer meat i have and some alligator meat. I have a ton of cube steak deer meat. I have fried it with rice and gravy but i cant think of anything else to do with it. Does anyone have any ideas. I also just got some alligator meat for the first time since Alligator season was just opened up this year in SC. I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of different ways to cook it and how to make it tender. I typically use deer meat to cook instead of beef because I can get deer meat for free. so any other ideas would be great. THANKS
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008 10:43:31 PM »

Have never cooked with gator so can't help you there.  However, I often treat deer like beef and cook it that way.  It makes an awesome stew so tougher cuts can be cooked slowly in a stew.  I also have used ground meat in casseroles like sheppard's pie, or a pot pie with lots of root veggies and mushrooms, or moose meat in lasagna, etc.  DH likes to grill the steaks or pan fry them with mushrooms and onions.  We tend not to get to fancy with it.  The only thing is, with the venison up here, especially when they are killed getting their winter insulation, try to eat it when warm, because when the fat congeals, it's rather gross Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
mstelena
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008 03:53:24 PM »

I've never tried alligator (they don't seem to live in Minnesota)...

But, venison... yeah! 
If it's a nice cut of meat (tenderloin), you can marinate it in just about anything, then grill on high heat until just done (it gets dried out if overcooked, even just a little).
For 'stew meat', I just made a wonderful venison, vegetable, barley soup (treat it as you would beef).  It is great in stew (of course) and chili.  I've also had wonderful luck with slowly simmered curries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MonkeyBrains

I'm a llama! No no.. I'm a chicken!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008 06:04:14 PM »

I'm guessing Alligator & Crocodile would be fairly similar..  http://www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/recipe.asp?id=999

And a quick search came up with this page..  http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=alligator

THIS ROCKS   Logged
floydh2
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008 06:59:15 PM »

Thank you guys so much. I usually use deer meat for all kinds of cooking I dont ever buy meat in the grocery store really except for chicken. I have been trying to be more creative with it and have got some good ideas. Thanks MonkeyBrains for the websites the second one has soo many options so im excited. I might try to tackel the alligator tomorrow night. Wish me luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Trailer for The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury
A Trailer for Whirlybirds and Ordinary Times by Katie Savage
A Trailer for Iscariot: A Novel of Judas by Tosca Lee
Writing a Eulogy Step by Step
Author Simon Sinek on Traveling to Distant and Unfamiliar Places
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...