A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,727
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The longest time it took you to finish a project?  (Read 4538 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 26, 2008 01:59:40 AM »

I'm fairly good at finishing one project before moving on to the next, if you don't count buying stuff for it.  In which case I've got scraps for a quilt that have been waiting for my attention for over a year!

My mom took an unbelievable 10 YEARS to finish knitting a sweater!  Obviously many other projects came and went during this time.

I do believe the world record must belong to my MIL.  About 5 years ago she gave me some quilt squares that need to be put together.  Now I haven't done that yet.  But here's the kicker, she made those squares 40 years ago!!!  Beat that!  This is a generational thing now, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008 07:28:45 PM »

I bought some yarn back in 2000 or so, intending to knit a blanket for my queen-size bed.  Eight years and two moves later, it's still in the boxes in which it was shipped to me.

I started a cross-stitch project back in 2002 that I have yet to finish.  (Black aida cloth is evil.)

40 years??  I'm impressed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008 08:41:12 PM »

so far the longest i have is from 2006 (a scrapbook from a Memorial Day trip to Disneyland)

but i have LOTS of unfinished and unloved WIPS at the moment, i move on quickly, which means things get left behind easily
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008 06:26:37 AM »

I know I have things that I started over 10 years ago and haven't finished (and will probably never finish as my taste has certainly changed)... To give this some perspective I'm only turning 25 next month...

I'm sure when I am older I will hit the 40 yr mark, and I know my grandmas came close (when she died I cleaned out her sewing room which was absolutely full of WIPs).   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008 11:24:25 AM »

Don't worry kjlutz, I'm sure one day you'll have a daughter or daughter-in-law of your own to pass them down to, lol.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008 12:01:09 PM »

Don't worry kjlutz, I'm sure one day you'll have a daughter or daughter-in-law of your own to pass them down to, lol.  Cheesy

While I love the thought, I must say there are somethings that should NEVER come back into style (for that matter I'm not sure they were ever in style...). 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008 08:18:19 AM »

My current record, not including buying supplies then not starting, was a blanket for my brother and his wife.  It was a simple crocheted ripple blanket in shades of blue, and it took me 3 years to make it.

The whole story was just a mess!

It started when I decided I wanted to make my brother a blanket for Christmas.  So, I asked him, slyly I thought, what his favourite colour was.  He gave me the old Monty Python skit and said, "blue! no! green! Aaaaaahhhh!!".  *sigh*

So, I had this beautiful sky blue yarn sitting in my stash (I got it on sale for half price!) and figured I'd try the ripple afghan pattern for the second time ever.  I wanted to slowly move from dark blue up to the sky blue, so I bought lots of yarn in navy blue, dark blue, and a medium blue.

Off I started with the navy blue.

I measured it carefully against my twin-sized bed after the first few rows, and it seemed like a good fit.  It hung over the sides nicely.

I continued.

Then I noticed that my hands were turning bright red whenever I worked on it.  Oh good, I was allergic to the yarn... but I persisted.

When it was about half done, I measured it on my bed again.  Something had gone wrong.  It had stretched!  So, I measured it against our double bed.  The sides were touching the floor!  Ye gads!  I'm still, to this day, not sure how it managed to double in size.

I soldiered on.

Finally the blanket was long enough to fit a bed, and wouldn't you know it, I never did get to add the sky blue yarn that started it all.  It just would have been gigantic!

When I gave it to them I'd hoped I'd never see it again.  Though, when I visit my parents this weekend I'm going to see if they got any pictures of it.  It was a sight to see!

Come to think of it, I still have this issue with mis-judging the size of my yarn projects... (do a search for "giant pink mitten of doom" if you don't believe me!)  Do any of you know a cure for this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elvissatx
Bad Girl Upset By The Truth

Ruby, my smart fortwo cabriolet

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008 10:56:52 AM »

Ummm, do you swatch before you start?  It's hateful but the only thing for gauge problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool!  I made the Best of 2009 twice!   Check 'em out! 

Yo-Yo Dress of Doom http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299010.0

Smart Santa Hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330595.0
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008 11:32:15 AM »

Nope!  I'd never heard of swatching when I made it.  These were my pre-craftster days (aka: the dark ages)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elvissatx
Bad Girl Upset By The Truth

Ruby, my smart fortwo cabriolet

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008 11:59:46 AM »

I hate to swatch more than anything (that's why I like things like scarves and doilies where gauge isn't that important) but it's totally a necessary evil.  Oh, except I like to Swatch, when it involves buying overpriced cutesy Swiss watches.  Those make me very happy.

And I'm starting a pair of socks tonight.  More swatching.  Bah.

]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cool!  I made the Best of 2009 twice!   Check 'em out! 

Yo-Yo Dress of Doom http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=299010.0

Smart Santa Hat http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330595.0
kstaron
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008 06:15:33 AM »

I can't beat 40 years but I think I've got one thing passed down that probaly makes 30 or more.  My mom was going to do a cross stitched tree skirt of the 12days of christmas.  She gave me the 4 days she got down when I got all her cross stictching stuff, oh 10 or so years ago.  I realized that I was NEVER going to finish them so I used the ones she did to make a table runner with some of my leftover strips from a lap quilt I made them a few years ago.  I never remember my mom working on those things so it must have bee nover 30 years ago.

For non-generational projects i've got a crazy quilt that I'm hand embroidering (twitch, twitch) that is maybe 3/4 done and I've been working on it on and off for maybe 5-6 years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadyFiasco
if theres only one truth that i know, its that the stitches that we've made are the best i've ever sewn'- Josh Pyke

No tv, i have a sewing machine and crochet hooks!

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2008 05:42:36 AM »

It's not my story in the beginning, although it is totally mine now...

So, the story goes...
Mum, the ever zealous crafter of the family would crochet baby blankets for her siblings expecting a child. gorgeous snow white works of art.

12 years ago my aunty announced she was pregnant for the second time and requested a soft snuggly ruggie for her soon to be child. so mum started. My beautiful cousin (Ashleigh) was born on the same day as my mum which pleased mum, let me tell you!

The blanket was 2/3rds complete on the day of Ashleighs birth and there it sat, in the back of mums wardrobe for 11 years, until she passed away, just over a year ago. Now as the oldest child (and recipient of mums treasured crochet hooks) i'm determined to complete the blanket as a special 13th birthday pressie for my cousin!!
One problem, i haven't picked up a hook since i was 7.
But i have time on my side!
08.11.2009, look out. BLANKET DAY.

The only problem with that is that Ashleigh now has a younger sister too! But i've still got 2 and a half years to crochet her something for her 13th!

wish me luck, my fellow craftsers!

xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008 11:37:58 PM »

I have a purse all cut out from about 8 years ago...some baby clothes for my cousin, he's about 12 now..some scrapbooks from when I went to Europe, in 2000. Ugh. I'm pretty sure I'll never finish any of those. I think the longest time to finish a project is probably a few months. If i don't get it done by then, it's probably never gonna get finished!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Buglady

Herding cats & chasing beads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008 12:18:15 AM »

• I just finished a sweater out of yarn I bought in 1998. There is older yarn in my stash...
  • I am looking at 12 little quilt blocks right now that are 20 years old. (I found them in my stash, and I'm going to sew them together to make a quilt for my neighbour's baby. They are NOT going back in that box). My mother took a beginner's quilting course when I was in high school, and I ended up doing her homework  Cheesy
  • Last year I sewed up the seams of a sweater Mom had knitted for my sister; she did it on the knitting machine and never got round to sewing it up. My sister is now 32 years old. The sweater was a size 6. CHILD's size six. I gave it to my volunteer supervisor for her beautiful, newly adopted daughter.
  • My grandmother passed away last month. I have two partly finished sweaters of hers, also apparently intended for my sister 20-odd years ago...
  • We are not going to talk about what else is in the stash boxes.
  • There might be 3 pairs of cut out pants that I have got too fat for, then too thin, then back to the right shape TWICE. But I'm not confirming or denying that.

Yeah. ADD is even more fun the more generations are involved!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bead Bugs, suncatchers & unique jewellery - www.theartfulsalamander.com
New Etsy shop! www.theartfulsalamander.etsy.com
mgailp
Queen of 1000 Proj... Ooo, shiney

To boldly craft where everyone has crafted before

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009 06:51:22 PM »

I do believe the world record must belong to my MIL.  About 5 years ago she gave me some quilt squares that need to be put together.  Now I haven't done that yet.  But here's the kicker, she made those squares 40 years ago!!!  Beat that!  This is a generational thing now, lol.

I have this stamped cross stitch / embroidery "Mom sampler" which I started in 7th grade (1984) as a Christmas gift. Every 3 or four years I will come across it and do a little more. I lost the original floss years ago. I am using ...

left overs from this bea-u-tifull bed-spread top my mother made in college (1965ish). She finished the pillow cases but that top never got a bottom.

On the generational track, My g-grandmother cut pieces for a 9 patch quilt and made 5 blocks and put it to the side for an unknown amount of time. Her children identified it as being pieced in the late '50s for the first grandchild. The material went to my grandmother when GGM died, in 1987. GM sewed the material into strips - random placement. About 12 years she passed it on to me. I finished the top and started quilting it, but put it to the side and, like the sampler, work on it every few years. I did make my dad, who had helped quilt others my GM sold, do one of the patterns so every generation from the first has done something on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
The Sketchbook Project: Hope (Craft-A-Long)
Taking applicants for the Society of Procrastinators ... tomorrow
LoopyLouise
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009 07:13:50 PM »

In about 1999, I started a cross-stitch with a millennium theme.  It was huuuge and had a purple angel in the middle.  Heh, I figure one day I'll finish and just replace the "2000" with 2010 ... or 2020 or ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
guineverefree

I love happy endings, they are so rare. - Aro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009 09:25:21 AM »

In about 1999, I started a cross-stitch with a millennium theme.  It was huuuge and had a purple angel in the middle.  Heh, I figure one day I'll finish and just replace the "2000" with 2010 ... or 2020 or ...

If it has a planet in the background, I had that cross stitch! I moved it three times before I eventually tossed it about 6 months ago because I was missing both the colour chart and the graph (hope that makes sense, I don't know what the technical terms are.)

On topic, I have a quilt that my husban'd grandmother half made. No idea how long ago. My own oldest WIP is just a two year old stuffed amigurimi tiger for my husband. That's when I discovered I really loath making amiguimi, so it sits half finished, taunting me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009 09:38:42 AM »

8 Years -- it's what happens when you go straight from stockingknit to cables & stuff, having barely learned to read patterns....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
shadowemblem
Ivy-Emblem

yo watz up ppl ?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009 12:32:32 PM »

dat iz really pretty ^.^

thankz 4 postin' & sharin'
-Ivy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StyleOnAStick
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014 05:53:22 PM »

So far mine is 3 months going on a year. For my first crocheting project, I decided to make my husband a banner. The thing is about 4 ft. long and 2 ft. wide. It's straight at the top, has two pointy thingies on the bottom, a 4-square checkerboard pattern of red and gold, and a giant T in the middle (for his online nickname).  I put a hole running across the top so we could put a curtain rod through it and hang it up. I had to rip it out several times and draw out endless sketches before it looked even. All I've had to do for the last 8 months or so is tie in the ends. That's it. And maybe iron the thing so it lays flat. My husband also wants some dowel rods in the ends to make them lay straight, but still, that's a short trip to a craft store.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sylvan
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014 06:29:09 PM »

I've been working on a knitted blanket for five years. I'm working in weaving in the nearly 400 ends, and I get frustrated with it really easily.

The last two years, I've made a new years resolution to finish unfinished projects. Last year I was able to finish 20 projects I already had bought materials for, and 9 new ones. I'm really looking forward to seeing what I can do this year! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RKEM
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2014 02:10:37 PM »

Something around four years. Started a teddy bear modification, then it just sat on a shelf for years until I got back to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smeddley

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014 04:15:18 PM »

I have a quilt I started 20 years ago.  I made a little progress last year on it, this will hopefully be the year it gets done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BelovedGoddess
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2014 11:23:00 PM »

I have half a tablecloth, that I started after buying $100 of cotton using a gift card that my husband bought me.  Can't remember exactly when I started but had pulled it out when I was pregnant with my son, I had lost the crochet hook before then and had just found it.  I remember sitting in the waiting room at the hospital working on it, a nurse complimented me on it, saying that she didn't think people did that sort of thing these days.

Anyway my son is now 19 years old.  I did get a little use out of the cloth by putting on a table in the corner.   I am guessing that the cloth is about reach it's 21st birthday

Recently pulled it out, but my tension has changed in the years since.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Decade of the Most Outrageous GRAMMY Beauty Looks
The Best Way to Wash Your Face
The Ugly Side of Pretty
The Right Way to Safely Remove Gel Polish Yourself
How to Take Care of Color Treated Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...