A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brown/yellow master bedroom with "Always Kiss me Goodnight" handmade wall art  (Read 3056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: November 17, 2008 03:17:15 AM »

My fiance and I finally decided that since we are in a new BIG house with a BIG master bedroom, we needed a bigger bed.  For the past year and a half, we have been sharing a full size bed (his feet hang over the edge quite a bit  Embarrassed)  So we went to rooms-to-go and got a brand-y new KING SIZE bed.  Of course this required new bedding, which required new curtains, which made me realize how bare the walls were... so the bedroom we just moved into less than two months ago already has had a makeover. 

New bed!  And bedding that I let the boy think he picked out  Roll Eyes  He thinks the bed looks like a big cake.

New wall art - these I finally hung up last night.  They say Always Kiss Me Goodnight.  I did the whole thing in acrylic paint, including the lettering which was done by hand with an acrylic paint pen (the best thing ever made!).  The Me canvas came out a little wonky, its a tiny bit smaller than the others, plus the canvas was stretched funny over the wood on the far right hand side so the paint didnt come out quite right either.  Oh well, I LOVE them.

Work in progress note on the canvases - after I had painted the background on them and was waiting for them to dry, I caught Frank lounging on them  Shocked  Luckily, acrylic paints dry fast and the damage was minimal, only a few cat hairs stuck in the paint. 

This pic shows the new hanging art as well as the curtains.  The curtains are very dark, but there is a reason for this.  The brown curtains are actually black-out drapes.  My fiance and I both work the third shift so we are day-sleepers and need the room very dark during the day to help us sleep.  The black scarf I draped across the top helps keep out those extra bits and slivers of light. 

Curtain detail.  Yes, they need to be ironed  Cheesy

View of the other side of the room.  This pic was taken while the old bed was still there and while we were still unpacking trash bags of clothes.  I love both of my dressers VERY much.  The first dresser, the bigger one with the mirror, I bought with the full size headboard in Massachusetts about 5 years ago.  Fast forward to a couple months ago, my fiance and I are shopping around for dressers because we needed a second one due to a smaller closet, and by some act of fate we found this beauty, what you see holding up my TV.  It's an EXACT match to the set I bought 5 years earlier.  Same detailing, same hardware, same finish, everything.  We found it at a bargain furniture outlet - and get this - it was the LAST ONE they had!  We had to buy the floor model. I LOVE IT!

Here are some before pictures:

Old full size bed which has been relocated to the guest bedroom.  Yes, I still have the sheepskin rug in the same location (MY side of the bed  Grin)

Old window treatments... as pretty as these were they obviously let in WAY too much light for what we needed.

A very before-before.  Before paint and furniture.  Cheesy I love my yellow paint

The kitties appove  Wink

EDITED TO ADD:  I have to give credit to pieknits for the idea for the artwork, I was inspired by her post here:  http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=191291.0  Grin

Comments/questions/criticism welcome  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008 03:40:59 AM by skankamaggot » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucidflower
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008 03:46:14 AM »

I just wanted to say congrats on the redone room, and that I think it's really sweet you both work the night shift. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008 09:54:15 PM »

Thanks, lucidflower.  Night shift definitely has it's advantages and disadvantages, but we love it for the most part.  Plus the shift differential makes it a lot more worth while  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Design for a Murphy stage fold up stage
The Future of Architectural Design
Simon De Pury Talks About Design
Paola Antonelli Talks About What Makes a Design Good
Art Deco Design
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...