A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 301,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Marie Antionette wig and mask! Flowers, feathers, and pearls!  (Read 5796 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween , halloween_costume , costume , costume_idea  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

robotarsonist

glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2008 01:14:58 PM »

So I've been spending time on my costume for Halloween/Samhain. My friend and I are being porcelain dolls, but with a slight French Victorian feel. Her costume is completely black, whereas mine is all white. I've had to purchase few things for my costume and the most expensive item I had to purchase was a white Marie Antionette wig. My friend is wearing a wavy black wig and a top hat. For her I made an all black fascinator that gets attached to her top hat using purchased and thrifted materials.
I used vintage buttons from my stash, black flowers from the craft store, some thrifted black lace and satin ribbon, large feathers, and marcasite beads.

We are also both wearing masks but since I don't have a hat to get in the way, I decorated the mask to my liking Smiley I didn't have to purchase anything to make this other than a small fabric mask for $.99 at the costume store. I could have made a mask from scrap using paper mache or something, but I wanted something flexible. As far as the base goes, I altered the shape of the eyes and the outside edge to give it a more feminine shape and allow me to see much better.

I used thrifted lace (one color was tea dyed), pearls, large feathers, silk flowers, pine branches that have been stripped of their bark then sanded and brushed with a little white acrylic paint, hemp string, vintage buttons, and some remnant trim for the edge.

For my costume I chose to wear a large wig instead of having a top hat. Since my wig is a Marie Antoinette styled wig I decided I needed to swank it up a bit.
I purchased the wig at the local costume store. I didn't have to purchase anything new, I already had all the materials which are similar to the ones I used on the mask. There's orchids and roses, pearls, large white feathers, satin ribbon, and a small mushroom bird.

I'm still working on the rest of the costume, I can't wait! Comments/crits welcome, Thanks for looking!

EDIT:
So here are the before and after for my shoes as well. I bought these shoes at the thrift store for about $6. They're white patent leather and I made the embellishment on the front. I also figured out that hot glue will peel off the patent leather so I can use these white shoes for another costume if I want which is awesome because a $6 pair of white pumps is a hard find Smiley

Once again I used felt, satin ribbon, and pearls.

I'm working on pictures of the rest of it. Dunno if I want to put it all on again since Halloween was a little wild and I forgot to take pictures myself.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008 11:44:21 PM by robotarsonist » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cookimistress

I live in my head too much

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008 01:27:17 PM »

Gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FeeSewBug
Just-Fee

Got buttons?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008 01:35:12 PM »

they look pretty amazing, can't wait to see the full costume!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robotarsonist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008 01:44:27 PM »

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sallyb
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008 01:54:57 PM »

Your attention to detail is amazing!  This is so beautiful, I can't wait to see the whole finished product!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kawaiimaru

you're a rubber snake!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008 02:12:52 PM »

holy CRAP i cant wait to see the rest of it!!!!

this is the kinda stuff you hang on the wall after the holiday Smiley hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's be spies...

and wear interesting hats!
robotarsonist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008 02:46:40 PM »

holy CRAP i cant wait to see the rest of it!!!!

this is the kinda stuff you hang on the wall after the holiday Smiley hehe

Ya know I was thinking just that. All the other masks I've made are displayed and I made the flowers on the wig removable so I can take it off and hang it up too Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jlryan
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008 03:01:29 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous! The mask and hair pieces are so well detailed/designed. Can't wait to see everything put together because I've already been thinking about doing the Victorian doll look for next year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If its not fun, why do it?
goldpaperstar

i love craftster.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008 05:52:14 AM »

where did you get that wig? i've been trying to make a victorian wig out of that stuff you make yarn out of, but it just looks fuzzy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

distant though i am
orange, gold and green
firing, flaming
colors surround me

http://myspace.com/goldpaperstar
CostumeGoddess
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008 07:54:44 AM »

Beautiful work! The mask is especially nice. Does it tilt to one side when you wear it? I made one years ago and had too much stuff on the side and would slip down the side of my face.  Sad

For goldpaperstar, here is a site with all sorts of Marie Antionette wigs: http://www.costumesofnashua.com/CNWebSite105/Active905/Pages/Wigs/17th18thCentury/17th18thCenturyWig.htm But they're not cheap. oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Plaster Bones for Halloween
How to Make Fun Magnetic Keepsake Boards for Kids
Skeleton T-Shirt Costume
How to Make Halloween Specimen Jars
How to Create Paper Pumpkins
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...