A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
658 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brigadeiros - traditional brazilian sweets  (Read 34865 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2008 08:55:11 PM »

Hi all,
I was out of town last weekend, and just couldn't check mail 'n stuff. I think it's worth mentioning, my microwave works at 700 W max. So of anybody's mic is stronger, no doubt, either you work at a lower level, or you leave them  a little less. Quidscribis' idea of doing-mixing-doing mixing is actually good. I'll try to do a stovetop version ASAP, to let you know about how long it takes.
Thanks for the clarification.  It helps tremendously to know what kind of power your microwave has.  Smiley

With the stovetop version, do you know what temperature you're shooting for, or whether it's  soft-ball or hard-ball you're going for?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

musicalcrafts
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2008 06:26:18 AM »

I can't talk about temperatures, because I work with gas flame.  Huh  But for sure my temperatures are lower than on an electric stove, AND our pots and pans have thinner bottoms. So - I would shoot: right after it's starts boiling, go down to MEDIUM heat, and never stop stirring. My sister in law is here visiting, and I haven't had time for brigadeiros, but yesterday I bought ingredients for my next tut: "Coconut kisses". Online soon.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
musicalcrafts
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2008 06:27:32 AM »

Huh Hmmmmmm. Maybe soft-ball?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008 10:20:33 AM by musicalcrafts » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2008 07:18:53 PM »

Soft ball was my first guess.  Might be time for some experimentation at this end...  Smiley

Yesterday, I made these again in the microwave.  No alterations to recipe.  5 minutes at 720 watts.  Overcooked.  Not as severely overcooked as the first time, but still overcooked.  Our microwave is fairly new, and it's 720 watts vs. 700 watts (which I thought would be close enough...), so next time I'll use 540 watts for 6 minutes and see how much closer that is.  Considering the different this time, I suspect 540 watts will probably be about right.  I hope.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

musicalcrafts
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2008 10:47:57 AM »

Oh, dear Scribby,
every time I think of those wasted recipes, tears get in my eyes.  Cry
Hope this time it works out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2008 03:54:37 PM »

I am glad I read the whole way through b/c I called GE to find out my microwave is 1100watt, so I used 50% power = 550 watt & 6 mins and the batch came out perfect, so thanks quidscribis. Oh I also added a tiny touch of peppermint when I transfered it to the cooling bowl...........just waiting for it to cool so I can roll  Grin oh yea and EAT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
musicalcrafts
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2008 04:09:28 PM »

Hi MacesMeMe,
peppermint will add such a sophisticated touch to your brigadeiros! I would serve them after dinner, accompanied by an espresso. Gotta try that some day.
By the way, here goes a picture of my Brigadeiro variation:

Instead of cooking for 6 minutes, I left it just for 5 minutes in the microwave, and while stirring, added a tablespoon of sweet cream (the one used to make whipped cream). The texture gets soft and creamy. The mini-cups I got at the supermarket - don't know if they're easy to find in the US. I sprinkled some black-and-white chocolate on it this time, and you eat them with teeny-weeny spoonies.  I suppose the peppermint touch would be fantastic on this version.

BY THE WAY!!!!!! This creamy version is terrific as a chocolate cake filling!!!!

Here goes a picture next to a cupcake paper cup, to see the size proportions.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2008 03:22:59 AM »

I am glad I read the whole way through b/c I called GE to find out my microwave is 1100watt, so I used 50% power = 550 watt & 6 mins and the batch came out perfect, so thanks quidscribis. Oh I also added a tiny touch of peppermint when I transfered it to the cooling bowl...........just waiting for it to cool so I can roll  Grin oh yea and EAT!
Glad I could help and thanks for confirming power/timing that worked for you.  It'll help the rest of us.  Smiley

The mint addition sounds like a great idea.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

musicalcrafts
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2008 04:43:37 AM »

Don't know if you noticed, but a couple of days ago a brazilian girl left a post laughing about posting the brigadeiro-recipe on craftster, once it's so common down here. Well, ladies, let me tell you that even if it's common, you are not the only ones to struggle with the right consistency.
But once you've gotten it..... OH MY!!!!!  Grin Don't give up.  Wink
By the way, yesterday I saw a site on the net, teaching microwave-brigadeiros for 12 minutes in the oven.  Shocked How about that?!?!?!?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SunflowerSmiles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2008 07:30:58 AM »

Fortunately for me my micro worked really well....in fact..I'm thinking that maybe they could have been cooked a bit more Wink ....I just love this simple recipe that's  fun and rewarding in a short period of time...great to do with little ones...I sure hope you post more recipes as I'm making the coconut today... Cheesy  I lovin me some Brazil sweeties!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This and That... my main blog. Drop by and say "Hello!"
  Sew Stuffed a blog about the dolls and stuffies I make
    Pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Indoor Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Fireworks Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Dusk/Dawn Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Copy Scene
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set for Beach/Snow Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...