A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,206
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oh, wow! (warning, Image overdrive!)  (Read 778 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brokenporcelaindoll
« on: October 25, 2008 10:56:42 AM »

Thank you to everyone who helped me out with my Frister machine.  As it turns out, I didn't need to worry anyway.  My in-law, who gifted me the Frister, found out from the OH that I was having trouble so advised me I could swap it back for "an old electric one" that she never uses.

I was grateful but in no way did I expect the bundle she sent me!

Firstly, some little peripherals she sent.

Apparently, this corset set was supposed to be my Crimbo pressy last year, but she decided against it because she thought it was "a bit stingy".  How anyone could think that CORSET BONING, and good material is stingy I do not know!

But... what is this, then?

Oh look, it comes with a little footmat

BWU?!

So pretty...

Apparently this baby can do heavy-duty, including denim, and working 2 needles simultaneously, as well as a whole host of complex settings.  I've only ever worked with those cheapo 5 budget 1-setting electrics that break in 10 minutes and the hand-cranked oldies, so needless to say, I'm a little intimidated!  What a way to graduate from mostly hand-stitching!

Here is a little box of repair tools and needles in the side compartment...

And some discs for changing stitches

Does anyone have any idea what THESE all do?!

Medieval torture device?

I'm obviously going to be spending a lot of time on the Q+A, but if anyone knows where I can download instructions for this beautiful beast or has any idea what all those bits do, please let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
Michellegio_sew
Seamstress ..... Not Sewer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008 11:26:19 AM »

Nice!

Medievil torture device = ruffler

(at least that is what I think it is, mine is at my mom's house with my treadle so I can't be 100% sure) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live in my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
BayouDreamer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008 11:33:38 AM »

I was going to suggest that accessory was a ruffler as well.  You could google that, or perhaps the library may have an older "how-to" sewing book that would have nice pictures and step-by-step instructions for use.

Good luck!  That is a very lovely machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brokenporcelaindoll
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008 12:10:06 PM »

Ah!  That should come in very handy, then.  I can't stand doing ruffles by hand!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
goldy
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008 05:37:40 PM »

Yep Def a ruffler. the lever at the back will change the number of stitches between each tuck.

The box off discs  are used to change you stitches by putting them on the spindle at the top right of your machine. in the pick it already has a zig zag disc on it. I asume that the levers on the top are also involved withthe stiches.

If you haven't got a manual try this site. http://www.singermachines.co.uk/Parts_&_Ser/Inst%20book.htm

Lots of fab vids on how to use the feet. http://www.sewingmachine-sales.co.uk/sewing_machine_info/video/34/adjustable-overcast-foot.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008 07:26:46 AM »

That is a fantastic machine! BTW those discs? sell for a hell of a lot on Ebay Smiley ( they are Bakelite) and it looks like you have a complete set.

Before you get crazy learning the different functions of your new machine take care of that rust.

Rust is bad! It's like cancer to sewing machines, spreading if left unchecked!.Use cotton balls, swabs & alcohol to wipe down the machine as a preliminary cleaning. Alcohol does not penetrate the metal or leave a residue.

Use extremely fine steel wool to sand down all the rust spots (000 or 00 size, get it at a hardware store, it's cheap). Using the same machine oil you use on the machine regularly, soak all the rust spots you sanded. Let it sit & soak in for at least 24 hours. [now is a great time to acquire & read through the manuals]
Once treated, wipe down your oily spots with a dry cloth or paper towel (no heavy cleaners!).

If you really want to restore your machine, you could go get matching paint & toutch it up, but that guranteed to be an oil based paint & pretty stinky. I'd probably just use clear laquer nail polish on the treated spots to prevent rust return.

Now you can thread it & start playing with it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Stone
How to Paint Fantasy Miniatures
How to Broomstick Lace Crochet
How to Age Brass
How to Age Copper
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Buffalo Spaghetti Squash
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...