A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
765 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: fashion show for recycled costumes! lots of pics.  (Read 3394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lizthecraftybitch
« on: October 24, 2008 01:09:10 PM »

there is a thrift store at my college that raises money for community organizations, and they had a fashion show benefit and asked me to design clothes for it. I made two outfits (wanted to make more, but i am going to school double full-time so i am stretched pretty thin), one was made from a polyester leisure suit that i found at the thrift store and the other was made from all recycled materials.

For the recycled outfit I fused a bunch of plastic bags, and made a little cropped jacket. One of the bags i had said "thank you thank you thank you. have a nice day." on it, which i thought was a sweet message for a recycled outfit. I hand sewed the sleeves and darts, because my sewing machine was going crazy. I also took plastic flowers from a lei i had and added them in it for decoration. On the front i stuck on a flower that could be snapped on and off. I used snaps for closures. The skirt was made from a bunch of bicycle inner tubes, which i "stole" from all the junk bicycles at my school (don't worry, i only took tubes that couldn't hold air). I used my dress form to shape the skirt, which i then sewed by hand, which took hours. then i spray painted it silver and blue. i made a fascinator (?) from bubble wrap, which i also spray painted. Yay!

I ripped all the seams out of the pants and sleeves and used the fabric to construct a pencil skirt from scratch. it was my first time making a pencil skirt, so it is far from perfect, but this fashion show was more about fun and costumes than about high quality clothing. The cropped jacket I made from the existing jacket. all i did to it was take it in a lot, cut off the sleeves, and cut out the collar, to make it more of a "sexy secretary" look.

anyway, here are photos:
skirt of the "sexy secretary" costume

the original leisure suit in all its polyester glory

in progress

hamming it up at the fashion show.

it was so much fun making these outfits, and i am especially proud of the recycled one! special thanks to my models, liz and tria! comments are always appreciated!

love, Liz
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008 01:10:46 PM by lizthecraftybitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged
timid_gothica

I will spray paint your face!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008 01:14:09 PM »

The dress you made out of the leisure suit is amazing. You totally took the life it had and made it manageable and chic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat shit and die
- Hunter S. Thompson

my etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5779650
vw69
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008 05:40:55 PM »

The outfits look great. I can't believe the transformation you did to that leisure suit. Incredible. I also really like the cropped top you made from the plastic bags. Nice cut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

merlette
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008 10:25:43 AM »

I"m in love with the leisure skirt!  *swoon!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lightroom 2 Layout Features
Smart Collections in Lightroom 2
Using the Filter Bar in Lightroom 2
All About Collections in Lightroom 2
Installing a Web Widget in Dreamweaver CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...