A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,519
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Q & D Patchwork Fish Toy (added instructions!)  (Read 2427 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gwydion
« on: October 24, 2008 12:40:01 AM »

Not very exciting, compared to all the cool stuff you guys produce, but it was a fun quick project and used up about, oh, .05% of my scrap fabric stash.  Cheesy

I embroidered the eyes, around the mouth, and went over a couple of the seams with either embroidery thread or yarn (fuzzy neck ruff on a fish?  hmmm...) just to add some textural interest.

I think Sprocket likes it. 

TUTORIAL LINK: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=275204.msg3113101#msg3113101
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011 01:42:25 AM by TroubleT - Reason: added tutorial link » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dinosaurus Meg

I wish I was a wolpertinger.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008 02:15:30 AM »

cute! it's like the story Rainbow Fish only not really. And Sprocket is quite the cutie Wink

Don't you just love how no matter how much you try any sized project only takes .05% of your stash? It's an anomaly.

Oh, and never say you aren't as cool as other people on here cause there's always someone who thinks you're way better than them. Truth is, everyone is awesome! Always!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey Fiber People: I am very interested in personal swaps for painted/dyed roving or top. I can swap supplies or crafted items. Let's talk!

Every body wants a rock to wind a piece of string around.
Cealy
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008 04:17:44 AM »

I absolutely love it, did you sew the scraps into strips to form a square then cut the fish shape out?

I quilt and I HAVE SCRAPS! lol

Thanks for the idea, would you do a tut?
C
THIS ROCKS   Logged
summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008 05:25:08 AM »

I think this is a wonderful idea and product.  I might have to give it a try.  I have to make like 120 Christmas gifts this year so thanks for an awesome idea!  (yes, 120 is an exaggeration...I think)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
ellenmarie
I should save that, I might need it soon!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008 07:47:29 AM »

That is so cute! I have a feeling that the fish will be a vivid memory of his childhood, as he grows up! My sister and I had a bright red elephant that was made for us, unfortunately he lost his trunk somewhere along the way and was rechristened as a pig but we sure loved him!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008 01:49:43 PM »

Wow! I love that. What a cute toy....and great for the little one because no small pieces. I love anything patchworkish........and fishy.

Good work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
Gwydion
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008 10:36:45 PM »

Thanks!  Glad you all like it... and very flattered by the tutorial request.  Smiley

The original was foundation pieced on muslin, because I was using rather small scraps.  It's more efficient to strip piece, especially if you're making multiples.  I don't have the patience right now, but I think it would be fun to do a whole group of crazy-quilted animals and hang them as a mobile!  The only caveat is to choose an animal without too many irregular, pointy, or narrow bits.  Fish are a nice simple outline, as are turtles, pigs, elephants...

Step 1: Pattern.  Draw a nice fat fish!  Try to keep the fins and tail relatively wide, as they're a pain to turn.  This fish is 7" high at the fins and 10" long.  Decide how many stripes you want and measure width.  (4) 2.5" stripes for ease of calculation, here.

Step 2: Iron and cut strips 1/2" wider than width on pattern and 2x taller than pattern.  Cut one EXTRA strip from muslin or other white fabric.  This goes on the wrong side of whichever strip will be the fish's head.

Step 3.  Sew strips together with 1/4" seam allowance, making sure to sew the muslin along with the head strip.

Step 4.  Press seams open, fold, and cut out the two sides of the fish.

Step 5.  This is the only weird part.  Cut a diagonal slash into ONLY the colored fabric of the head, on both pieces.  Fold under so that a wedge of white is showing, and press.  Make sure the two sides match.

Step 6.  Zigzag over edges of colored fabric, securing the mouth to the underlying muslin.  The stitching looks like teeth, if you don't want to embroider them later.

Step 7.  Add eyes (for a baby toy, as here, either safety eyes or embroidered eyes)

Step 8.  Put wrong sides together, matching smile wedges, and sew with a 1/4 inch seam allowance, leaving the space between the bottom fin and the tail open for stuffing.  You'll see that on this one, I added a ribbon loop into the tail, so I can attach the fish to a binky clip later.

Step 9.  Turn, press if needed, and stuff.  I stuffed the fins and tail first, very lightly, and then topstitched them for durability and to prevent the stuffing from shifting back into the body.  You can add cellophane, bells, or rattly bits to the body when stuffing, but a toy will be washed frequently, so any extras should be waterproof.  Blindstitch the opening.

Step 10.  If desired, add more embroidery or other details. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nutfish1
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008 09:54:44 AM »

Wow what an awesome fish!  This will be great for baby gifts up here in fish country Alaska!  Thanks for the tutorial and yes - this will only use 0.03% of my stash!  But what fun I'll have

Sprocket's such a cutie too! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellesangel
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008 06:43:51 PM »

i like that a LOT! thanks for the tute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Flint & Tinder Shows Off The 10-Year Hoodie
Olivia Palermo Goes Mod at the Louis Vuitton Maison Opening
5 Ways to Stretch Your Shoes at Home
5 Ways To Wear High Waisted Denim Shorts
Something New: Bridal Shoes By Brian Atwood
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...