A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WHOA! I am a slacker! Trick or Treat in 3 days... EEK!!  (Read 756 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 23, 2008 06:54:58 PM »

Oh My!  Have I been busy.  Maybe just preoccupied with adult stuff.  I don't know, but Trick or Treat is on Sunday and I don't have costumes for my 2 boys.  (OK, I have 3, but I am not worried about the baby this year.  Thats bad I know, but we're down to the line here!!) 

I hate... no, HATE store bought costumes and if anyone has any quick and easy suggestions for two boys ages 8 and 4  please please please let me know! 

And I promise from this day forward on every October 1st (at the absolute latest!!) I will know what I am doing for Trick or Treat!

Thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008 03:35:30 AM »

im confused, cos Halloween is on the 31st, but i think maybe you live in another country than i do...

i made 3 full adult costumes and a baby costume in 3 days last yr (my sister helped though)

i would say dont leave it up to them this time (since it will lead to alot of mind changing) and go as a group of something (i am also partisan to group costumes lol)

maybe go as veggies and fruits, or characters from their favorite movie....maybe Mario and Luigi (cos its overalls and a hat with a mustache and gloves)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008 04:34:33 AM »

im confused, cos Halloween is on the 31st, but i think maybe you live in another country than i do...

i made 3 full adult costumes and a baby costume in 3 days last yr (my sister helped though)

i would say dont leave it up to them this time (since it will lead to alot of mind changing) and go as a group of something (i am also partisan to group costumes lol)

maybe go as veggies and fruits, or characters from their favorite movie....maybe Mario and Luigi (cos its overalls and a hat with a mustache and gloves)

Sorry for the confusion,  I live in Wisconsin and yes, Halloween is on the 31st, but Trick or Treat is the Sunday before, well this Sunday... hence my dilema. 

I like the Mario and Luigi idea though,  that would be cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008 04:59:17 AM »

Bunches of grapes and bags of jellybeans are easy, as all they require are some sweats, some balloons (only half blown up so they're less likely to pop) and a clear plastic garbage bag for the jellybeans.  The Jolly Green Giant is also one that mostly requires sweats.  Look through their clothes (and your husbands!)  can they go as pirates, ninjas, old men, or superheros from things they've already got, plus a few creative accessories?  It's probably too cold for togas, but a black bathrobe could easily become a reaper.  Oh, and don't forget, any old clothes can be turned into zombie-wear.

You can make easy face paint by mixing crisco shortening and food coloring, dust with cornstarch to set.  Food coloring and corn syrup makes great, non-toxic, okay-to-lick blood, and, if you can find one, get a red and white striped jumper for the baby, and he can be Toby from Labyrinth!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
themaverick
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008 08:29:10 AM »

I don't work for Michael's, I just always notice that in their flyers around Hallowe'en, they show easy costumes made out of t-shirts.

I found the link to the costume idea pages for you:
http://www.michaels.com/art/online/projectlist?categoryid=119806

They sell t-shirts pretty cheap, or I'm sure you could go with stuff you already have that you don't mind painting or cutting up. I like their pirate costumes - so cute! Plus, "pirate" is always something young boys go for in terms of costumes!

Here's another site which has printed tees - you could, if you have a little extra time, make your own versions of these with some fabric paint...
http://teenormous.com/lists/halloween-costume-t-shirts

And I'd second the suggestion of shopping your own closets and adding accessories to make outfits. Dollar stores often have foam or plastic ninja/pirate/fireman/etc. accessories, and belting an adult-sized shirt can really alter its look on a kid!

Here's another site I found; it's an online book:
http://books.google.ca/books?id=MJT8FZVxPBkC&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=t-shirt+costumes&source=web&ots=ZhoscgX-tg&sig=8zsP8DGOAO2VigBz6NTHwDHWnqU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPA33,M1

Wow, I'm having way too much fun with this... Cheesy
Hope these help, and have fun taking those kids Trick or Treating!
- Aimee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elociNNicole

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008 02:23:36 PM »

AWESOME!!  Thank You for all of the great ideas!  I feel like I had a duh! moment!  haha. 

Well, I am off to go "shopping" in my closet for some costumes.  Now, if only I could get my 4 year old (BOY!!) to stop saying that he wants to be a princess.   Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set Manual Mode (M)
Canon XSi/450D: Set Manual Focus Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set ISO Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Format Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Flash Function
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...