A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swap Etiquette: Extra Items? Is this okay?  (Read 1072 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 23, 2008 05:45:26 PM »

I am currently involved in a swap and am curious as to the etiquette involved with sending extra items?  I couldn't find any information on the subject and was just curious since this is my first swap and really don't want to cross any lines. 

Thanks Bunches!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008 07:52:59 PM »

It's usually good to check with your partner about sending extra items so they don't feel bad if they didn't add any extras to your package. However some swaps specifically state not to send extras, such as the one tiny thing swap, etc. In most cases it's ok and people like receiving extras   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008 07:28:53 AM »

Ditto- Usually in my swaps I specify that extras (crafted or non-) are optional and can be included if  your partner agrees. If they say they'd rather not, then I respect that. I also mention in my questionnaires that I tend to go overboard, so the organizer and my partner knows that.

Really, don't be afraid to PM your partner! You can never communicate too much in my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008 12:23:24 PM »

Double check the swap info too. I'm currently running a swap that is a fixed number of items, no more , no less! It's part of the fun of this particular type of swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008 12:59:45 PM »

I agree with all that's been said but just wanted to add something. I personally feel like it is usually okay to add an extra (unless the rules say none allowed) even if you didn't ask your partner. Not like something huge extra, but if you saw that they liked a certain candy so you added one, or you saw something that you just had to send them. Just be sure that you won't be upset if the extra isn't reciprocated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
elociNNicole
Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart (Ne-na-na-na-na) Groove is in the heart-ah-ah-ah

Do what you love. Love what you do.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008 05:23:51 PM »

I just wanted to write a little update about my swap and what I did before sending...

First, I re-read (for the billionth) time the rules for the swap.  Nothing was stated about no extra items.  So, I was good there.

Secondly, I sent a PM to the organizer asking her opinion.  It was only days to send out time, so she said that it would be okay but to maybe just include a little note to my partner explaining the extras since there were specific reasons why.  You know, just so she didn't feel obligated to send more or feel bad for not sending enough. 

And Last but not least, I did include a note with each item explaining why there were 3 instead of the required 'one'.  (Fall scarf swap... I got three done in the deadline.  Started '1', ran out of yarn and ordered more.  Started '2' just in case yarn for '1' didn't get to me in time.  And '3' was just... well, I had time before send outs, so I figured, what the heck.) 

Wow, this is long-winded.... sorry.  But anyways, Thank You all for responding and the input about extra items.  It seems like no one really minds getting a little bit 'extra' as long as there are no rules against it... that is.

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitting goal for 2011: knit 500,000 stitches.  24,078/500,000 knit.  I think I'm going to need more yarn...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Laurie Abraham Reveals Her Favorite TV Show
Kat, Incorrigible Book Trailer
Author Stacy Morrison Reveals Her Most Used Word
Bestselling Author Lisa Genova Discusses Her Main Character Alice
Comedian George Wendt Discusses His New Book Drinking with George
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...