A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby Blanket  (Read 7061 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jewells68
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2009 09:08:15 PM »

I'm working on a pinwheel blanket for a co-worker and his wife's first baby. The pattern can be found here: http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/round-baby-blanket.htm . It's pretty easy, so I got kinda bored and started some socks, but I really need to work on it so I'll join in here for hopefully some inspiration. Here's where it is so far. I hope the baby's not due anytime soon...

I also just learned a long-time co-worker is going to be a grandmother for the first time, and that baby is due in winter, so if you have any suggestions for another pattern to try, maybe something a little more complicated, let me know and I'll check it out. No too complicated, though, but I have plenty of time right now, so I'm checking out as many patterns as I can at the moment while I work on other things...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009 01:33:47 PM »

Kayrun, that orange variegated (or self-striping?) yarn turned out nicely. I made a pinwheel baby blanket last summer, but it was just plain white with a pink border; I'll have to remember variegated can look nice in a pinwheel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Shablina
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009 11:40:18 AM »

ok so like a dork I finished 2  blankets since I posted on here and posted 1 of the fnished ones on ravelry but forgot about here. I did a cotton hooded srap and just a basic stripe blanket.  I will see if she post pics of the striped and I will post pic of the wrap later. I have a few more I need to get going on but I am working on a wrap for my MIL that is boring so I need to  keep moving on it  next time dh brings me a mag and says make this for mom I look before I agree! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayrun
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009 08:11:44 AM »

Kayrun, that orange variegated (or self-striping?) yarn turned out nicely. I made a pinwheel baby blanket last summer, but it was just plain white with a pink border; I'll have to remember variegated can look nice in a pinwheel.

Thanks for noticing!  It was my first time using that yarn, and I was very pleased with the result.  Hoping to do another one with another self-patterning yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChloeRomanov
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2009 09:54:25 AM »

I'd love to join in on this!
Last year I made a blanket for a college buddy's first child and really enjoyed it.  A co-worker challenged me to make a baby blanket for charity, and by the end of the year I had 12 knit blankets and four fleece blankies.  It was so much fun; the size is just enough to experiment with different yarns and patterns, but not so big you get bored.  I've got some friends expecting children in the upcoming months, and I'd like to deliver another box to the chairty at the end of the year, so this is a great spot to keep me going!

I've been into knitting with cotton lately, and I have one blanket that's nearly done, and another two planned.  Look forward to seeing what we all produce!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ravenb83
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009 04:12:45 PM »

Ok im game.  I just found out my cousin (sorta) is preggo and I want to make her something for the baby.  I started on this blanket today....http://www.alexislayton.com/star-doily-blanket/  I am on row 23 already and it seems to be going along without a problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftdabbler UK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009 08:20:55 AM »

I didn't see this thread until after I had posted my lace baby blanket pics in completed projects.  I don't think I should use up space by posting my pics twice but I hope you will go have a peek and tell me what you think.
I altered the pattern from the vintage original so that it could be done in the round on a circular needle with no seams.
Since finishing, I have thought of some more ways to improve it so I have just started another one to see if I am right!
If this knitalong is still going I will post a pic of the new one here.
Ravenb83 - I looked at the link you had for the star doily blanket and I love it.  Another one added to my ever-growing list of must-do projects!
So much knitting - so little time!   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChloeRomanov
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2009 04:12:30 PM »

One cotton blanket is finished and lined (I don't think I'll do that again!)

Two more cotton blankets are already 20" square.  A few more posts and I'll be able to post pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yofi
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009 11:20:18 AM »

(formerly ChloeRomanov)

I really like working with the cotton -- so cheap, such great colors, and they feel so nice once you wash them.  (And they get better and better with each wash!)

I ended up taking the lining out of the one cotton blanket, and never bothered to do it for the other two.  They don't need it, and it madde them drape a bit oddly.  Probably took me less than a month of casual knitting do do each of these, which are between 32" and 34" square.  (They're based on the Mason Dixon Log Cabin and Courthouse Steps patterns.)

White log cabin with multi stripes and mitered edges:

Close up of the corner:

Duck, duck, goose (for some reason the colors make me think of a big fluffy goose)

And my favorite (I wish I had enough patience to make a cotton blanket like this big enough for me!)

Earlier this spring I finished a hooded blanket/wrap for a co-workers baby shower -- with a day to spare.  The pattern is a simple one, right off the Lion Brand Pound O' Love yarn, but it's really easy (if you don't mind seed stitch) and I've been making them for all my expectant friends.  But you know, I haven't tried it in cotton yet....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayrun
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2009 11:20:54 AM »

outstanding!
Love them all~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Stephen King
Meet Writer Blair Underwood
Captured Book Trailer
Philippa Gregory Reads from The Red Queen Part 1
A.J. Jacobs Wishes He Had This Talent
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...