A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan Yarns, Especially Thinner Yarns. Linen. Questions.  (Read 585 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2008 10:31:16 AM »

Hello,

I'm having trouble finding thinner yarns that are vegan or knowing how they knit up. I do not find the person who runs the local main yarn shop very helpful when I am in the shop so I'm kind of on my own. (I really don't even want to shop there but have to out of desperation)

I have patterns that call for fingering or DK weight yarns but it is so hard to find these yarns that do not contain wool and/or silk.

Anyone have any experience with these non wool yarns? Any recommendations on what knits up well. Do the linen yarns knit up soft? I'm looking at smaller projects. Not sweaters.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Riki
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008 07:50:06 PM »

There are a number of thinner yarns out there - including bamboo, soy, corn, and even cotton.

They do knit up differently but I think would make good shawls. I used bamboo for a snood and it worked out very well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

brnwebgrrl
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008 04:12:16 PM »

Teresa,

I have been knitting for over 30 years, and I *love* wool and other natural/animal fibers. I've been a vegetarian for 12 years and recently I've been seriously contemplating becoming vegan. Having to give up my love of wool, etc. has been more challenging than some of the other changes.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I think that you'll just have to do some experimenting with fibers. Linen, while it feels a bit crisp on the skein, gets softer each time you wash it. I will also be experimenting with some of these non-animal fiber yarns because I know that I must stop using wool, but it will be a process. If your LYS is not helpful, I'd try traveling to other nearby shops and ask local knitters for recommendations.

Best wishes,

Evelyn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have discovered the paradox that if I love until it hurts there is no more hurt only more love. --Mother Teresa
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008 04:14:49 PM »

Katia Mississippi 3 is a nice fingering weight acrylic blend in a wide range of colors if you want something for colorwork.

Crystal Palace makes a few nice vegan sock yarns with stretch. There's a corn one and a soy one. The colors are nifty, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008 12:37:00 PM »

Thank you. That Katia Mississippi 3 looks really nice. I'm going to try it.

Thank you for your kind post Evelyn. Even though I went vegan from one day to the next 3 years ago, it can be a process and actually was over years of being vegetarian as I ate less and less dairy or eggs.

I think I will have to do some experimenting with yarns also. My hope is there will be more and more vegan yarns on the market over the next few years. Thank you again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillofthehawk
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009 09:20:51 AM »

I knitted 3 linen skirts last year and wore them almost every day. They were machine washed and dried and became softer with every wash. No irining was needed. They hace a wonderful drape. Not a lot of stretch with linen, lasts longer and has a softer hand than cotton...btw, cotton is one of our mast sprayed crops. Hemp is also great, lasts forevever, and becomes softer with use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009 11:05:10 AM »

Have you looked at the book "No Sheep for Me"? I think it's by Amy Singer. It may have the non-wool info you're looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Josh - Photo.net
Photography Guru - Knitting Knucklehead

My little man and me.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009 11:14:26 AM »

Knowing what projects specifically you were looking to make would probably help with suggestions. I've got a ball of Cascade Fixation on the desk in front of me that I am using to knit a newborn hat for my soon to be niece/nephew (my brother and his wife are vegan):

http://www.cascadeyarns.com/cascade-fixation.asp

But it's a 98.3% cotton 1.7% elastic fingerling weight blend that has limits to it's usefulness. Good for hats and baby socks, but probably not so great for other projects. Lots of cool colors though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sugar Moisturizer for Your Hair
How to Make Your Hair Shine
Hair Color Products Recommendations
Dealing with an Oily Scalp
Beauty Post Blowdrying Tip
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...