A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Halloween-loving College Girl  (Read 820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlemisspoof
http://www.www.wists.com/littlemisspoof

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2008 08:11:48 AM »

I'm in college, broke as hell, and would like to do something to have my room a little Halloween-y. I've been picking and hanging leaves, and my mother donated a pumpkin to the cause.  I was wondering if any of you clever crafters had any cheap craft ideas for me?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It isn't dangerous to confuse children with angels."
emptyeyed
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008 09:21:15 AM »

Try taking advantage of all the free things a University has.

- If you have free printing at your college, - then go wild with printing off cute pumpkins and bats to hang around you room.  If not, there's still usually some scrap paper to be found with something printed on one side and a canvas for you to draw Halloween masterpieces on the other.
- News papers are abundant on my campus...maybe there's something creative to be done with them?
- Look for a listing of events offered by your school, I know my dorm last year had a gingerbread house contest, and they supplied all the supplies for you.
- This might be kinda gross...but my dorm had huge recycle bins, and there is probably something creative you could do with a bunch of empty plastic bottles (see: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=274562.0
- free white t-shirts could become spooky ghosts

Just look around you when you go to class these next couple of days and see what you can find

Some other cheap ideas:
- a dollar bag of halloween balloons or crepe paper could add a bunch of festive color
- decorating the outside of your door (it's a small place so cheaper than your whole room, and you'll see it every time you come back from class)
- go wild with a cheap pack of construction paper (last year i bought one and used it for all the major holidays)
- utilize craft supplies you might already have, - scrapbook paper, paint, etc.

Sorry I couldn't come up with anything great, but maybe something will give you inspiration. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008 10:38:38 AM »

Usually the dorms will host Halloween activities.  Sign up for as many events as you can (since they're usually free), then when they're done I'm sure you can take the leftover decorations.  You should be able to get at least a pumpkin from a carving contest out of the deal.  And if you volunteer to help then they might be willing to give you some butcher paper which dorms always have tons of for some reason, and that goes a long way for decorating a dorm room!  Find some graffiti punks out late one night and see if they'll spray paint some old junk (bottles, more leaves, old toys) black for you - then you can have some creepy decorations and use up some of their spray paint so that they do less vandalism.  Just go with a friend if you're that daring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
dogwoodbonsai
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008 11:50:15 AM »

Black garbage bags are good for decorating.  split 2 sides and cut in strips to make a curtain for your door or cover some walls or ceiling with them. 

If you are close to any old corn fields get a friend to help you cut some down. (gloves and a strong cutting device recommended)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlemisspoof
http://www.www.wists.com/littlemisspoof

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008 02:34:43 PM »

Try taking advantage of all the free things a University has.

- If you have free printing at your college, - then go wild with printing off cute pumpkins and bats to hang around you room.  If not, there's still usually some scrap paper to be found with something printed on one side and a canvas for you to draw Halloween masterpieces on the other.
- News papers are abundant on my campus...maybe there's something creative to be done with them?
- Look for a listing of events offered by your school, I know my dorm last year had a gingerbread house contest, and they supplied all the supplies for you.
- This might be kinda gross...but my dorm had huge recycle bins, and there is probably something creative you could do with a bunch of empty plastic bottles (see: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=274562.0
- free white t-shirts could become spooky ghosts

Just look around you when you go to class these next couple of days and see what you can find

Some other cheap ideas:
- a dollar bag of halloween balloons or crepe paper could add a bunch of festive color
- decorating the outside of your door (it's a small place so cheaper than your whole room, and you'll see it every time you come back from class)
- go wild with a cheap pack of construction paper (last year i bought one and used it for all the major holidays)
- utilize craft supplies you might already have, - scrapbook paper, paint, etc.

Sorry I couldn't come up with anything great, but maybe something will give you inspiration. 

That link to the jug thing was great!  I'm definitely going to do that.  Thank you everyone!  What great ideas. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It isn't dangerous to confuse children with angels."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hairapy Ep 102: Sandy
Hairapy Ep 101: Betsy
The New Pompadour Bridal Hairstyle
The Hunger Games Inspired Dutch Braid
Nicole Pearl, The Beauty Girl; At-Home Hair Color Review
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...