A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 306,355
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: worktable or alternatives?  (Read 433 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Caecilia42
« on: October 22, 2008 05:14:24 PM »

In my new apartment, I have half a room for my craft space.  I got an awesome 80+ year old trunk to store yarn and fabric, now I need a worktable.  I knit and sew and I'm hoping I'll do a lot more if I have the perfect space. 

What do people use as a worktable?  The stuff sold online as a worktable is usually MDF and I'm hoping for something more substantial, since it'll be in a room other people use too. 

Also, would it be better in the middle of the room or against a wall?  My part of the room is about 11x11.

ETA: I'm also teaching myself to quilt, so I need a fairly big workspace.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008 05:18:50 PM by Caecilia42 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bliss2187
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008 08:36:35 AM »

I use an old kitchen table that I bought used when I was in college (very similar to http://nationalclearancecenters.com/tfcc_resources/items/small/1189758371788.jpg).  It may be big for your space, depending on what else you have in the room.  I had considered cutting mine in half length-wise and mounting the back (cut) side to the wall to save space.  When I put the table in my spare bedroom/office/craft room, it fit though so I didn't want to go through the trouble and like you, I like a large working surface.  The room I have mine in is about 11x11 (or very close) and I have a standard-sized bed in the opposite corner, against the wall (we rarely have anyone sleep in there).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
steiconi
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008 07:05:28 PM »

my favorite work table was made from a pair of matching dressers topped with a sheet of plywood.  I added casters on the dressers, so the table moved easily around the room.  L brackets held the top to the dressers.  The whole 4x8 sheet of plywood turned out to be too big, so I cut it down to 3x6.  Contact paper protected the bare wood, and a tape measured fastened to the front edge was very convenient.  The dresser drawers held tools and other stuff I needed to keep handy.

choose sturdy dressers that are a comfortable height for you to work at; mine were high enough that I could work standing up or sitting on a tall stool.  The dressers don't have to match, just be the same height.  And they don't have to be dressers; try using old bathroom or kitchen cabinets, night stands, filing cabinets, even a table that's a bit too small.  And the topper could be an old door, kitchen counter, or Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stephanieyoo
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008 11:58:46 AM »

I needed a cheap worktable this summer and my husband and I created an easily solution. We got a plain wood door from Home Depot (about $20) and had them cut six 2x4 pieces to the height I liked (depends on if you do your work standing or sitting or both). We bought 12 screws that were pretty long (I forget the length, but they need to go through both the door and well into the 2x4's). We first wood glued the 2x4's onto each corner of the 'table' and two in the center (for added stability). Then we screwed them together, and I painted it black to fit with the decor in the room. It works so well, and for less than thirty bucks, I think it looks great. plus there is plenty of room underneath for filing cabinets or storage containers.

In hindsight: definitely put it together in the room you'll have it in. We put ours together in the garage but with the angle of the doors & stairs in our home, we had to take it apart to get it inside and reassemble. This made it less sturdy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Southern Fried Chicken – Made by a Kentucky Native
Barbecue Shrimp With Maze Jackson in Chicago, IL
Award-Winning Shrimp Linguini With Craig Hazelbaker in Cedar Rapids, IA
6 Tips For Grilling Perfect Burgers: Labor Day Cooking Essentials
Recipe Twist: BBLT Sandwich
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...