A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,928
Currently Running With Scissors:
542 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Newly vegan - questions :P  (Read 1538 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Valiqa
Sewing Machine Goddess

Sailor Moon Junkie

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 22, 2008 05:09:56 PM »

Okiee, so I grew up in Chicago eating meat. And from the ages of 8-10, I moved to the Caribbean with my dad and also ate meat. The meat I usually consumed in the Caribbean was from my uncles or grandma's farm, where the animals were actually treated with love, given lots of land to roam, and were killed under the 'halal' ordinance where if it takes more than a single cut to the throat to kill the animal instantly, you can't kill it. Anywho, when I came back to Chicago 8 years ago, I started to get sick from eating meats, specifically beef. However, whenever I went to the Caribbean for a visit, the meat I ate there, whether from a fast food joint or my relatives farm, I never got sick eating the meat. So now I'm convinced I developed an intolerance of American meat. As such, for the last two years or so I pretty much became a pescatalian (only eating fish / some seafood). I occasionally eat chicken, turkey, but really try to stay away from beef (as it makes me the sickest).

However, I been seeing a lot on veganism and am very curious. I not entirely sure if the vegan diet is right for me, but I am going to try it for 30 days. I already don't consume a lot of dairy (lactose intolerant). So the age old question, what can I eat as a vegan? I googled, and now I have questions. =) Does anyone use mayo substitutes? If so, what's a good brand / does it taste like the real thing? Also, cheesewise, I do have the rare craving for a bowl of mac and cheese. I already eat Annie's brand, because it's organic. Also, is there a cheese substitute in case I want to sprinkle it on bread or something? I also looked up egg substitute... is Ener-G or tofu better? Also.. what about vegan bread and what brands are good?

Well, that's all my questions for now. Hopefully this works out. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making the world a craftier place, one craft at a time!
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008 05:46:10 PM »

veganaise is a mayo substitute.
cheese- i prefer almond. there are all sorts of cheeses, just go to your natural food store and try them out. they are all different!! you might like the rice parmesan.
egg substitute- it depends on what you are making. tofu scramble is a nice scrambled egg alternative. ener-g is good for baking...
you can eat anything that doesn't have dairy or animal products. they make a vegan version of everything now so just go shopping and try new things.

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
econolines r 4 girls

yuppy girls can't pull this off

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008 08:19:51 AM »

Veganaise is a great mayo substitute, it's really hard to tell the difference, at least for me.
Soy cheeses are a toughy. Like PinkMafia said, it's all pretty much trial by error. I've tried some that I absolutely hate, and have had some that I like okay. I haven't found one that I absolutely love. I've been vegan for 2 and a half years and have learned not to miss cheese.
I always use EnerG egg replacer. It works really great for baking or anytime you would ordinarily use an egg as a binder. It also lasts a long time.

One random but HUGE suggestion for vegan soy yogurt is anything by Whole Soy Company. Their soy yogurt tastes better than ANY OTHER soy yogurt I've ever tried, and it's so close to real yogurt that my dad couldn't even tell the difference (which says a lot! lol).

Most grocery stores have started to carry organic or locally baked breads. I've found that they are usually vegan, and are made w/out preservatives and random animal ingredients. When I'm at school, I live off of these breads, but when I'm home I make my own bread in a bread machine. If you end up liking veganism (I hope you do!!) I'd definitely recommend investing in a bread machine to make your own cruelty free breads, and you can also make really yummy homemade pizza dough!

**While on the topic of pizza, lol... here's a really tasty recipe for tomato sauce!
-roughly chop a few roma tomatoes and saute with a good coating of EVOO, basal, oregano, salt and pepper until the tomatoes are all mushy, bubbly and delicious. great on pizza, pasta, bruschetta, etc.

Good luck with your 30 day trial run and hopefully you like it enough to maintain it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*go vegan*
for YOU, for ANIMALS, for EARTH
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008 07:53:14 PM »

Do you live near a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's? Both are great places to stock up on stuff. Also the vegweb.com recipe index is really useful.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
PinkMafia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Let your sparkle shine...

Recovering swap addict

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008 06:28:29 PM »

Veganchef.com is good too! I agree w wholesoy yogurt. I also love quorn chick patties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty chica...burlesque performer....costume maven.
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008 09:19:54 PM »

Veganchef.com is good too! I agree w wholesoy yogurt. I also love quorn chick patties.

I thought quorn products had eggs or dairy in them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
lizi
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008 10:05:54 AM »

I would recommend that you buy the Veganocomnicon by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. It's basically a vegan encyclopedia which has hundreds of really simple recipes (including one for vegan mac and cheese - which I've found is better than using vegan cheese) as well as a section that tells you how to cook most vegetables, grains etc etc. It's such a good cookbook, I love it and I wish I had had it when I became vegan (4 years ago).

Obviously you might not want to buy a cookbook if you're only trying it for 30days, but as you said you're lactose intolerant it might give you a few ideas for minimising your dairy intake.

Being vegan is awesome, I've never felt as healthy as now, neither when I was vegetarian or ate meat. Whilst it is a bit more hassle than not being vegan, I find that having to cook a lot of your food from scratch not only makes you healthier, but it makes you so much more interested in food! I could hardly cook anything before I was vegan, but now I'd consider myself a pretty good and inventive chef.

xxxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
olive_juice
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008 10:07:14 AM »

Veganaise is pretty darn convincing as a mayo substitute. I really can't tell much difference.

For a pretty decent cheese flavor, nutritional yeast really does wonders. You can get it at health food stores, and you sprinkle it on just like you do any other seasoning. That's how I make mac and cheese and things like that. It's also super fantastic on popcorn... yum!

Oh, and seconding the recommendation for Veganomicon. I'd check it out from the library since you're only trying vegan on for size, but it really is an excellent resource. Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World is also fantastic-same author, same quality. REALLY good recipes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They sicken of the calm, who know the storm" -Dorothy Parker

wists.com/Olive_Juice

greenergrasses.etsy.com
MS. SASSYCRAFT
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008 09:20:12 AM »

i guess your 30 days is up, but heres some vegan brand food info:

you should check out Roads End Organics they have a really good (and really cheap and its organic!) macaroni, its called Mac & Chreese.
it comes in a box and you just add soy milk to it, i usually add garlic/other herbs to season it up a bit

as for cheese slices, Follow your Heart Vegan Gourmet is the best cheese alternative ive found. It melts fairly well and it comes in different  cheese flavors.

when im making pasta dishes and or pizza and i want to add parmesan flavor a use Galaxy nutritional foods, Vegan Grated Topping (you can find it at a heath store it comes in a purple can and looks sim to what normal grated cheese come in)

Also one last cheesey suggestion

if you dont feel like making your own pizza, Tofutti has a frozen vegan cheese pizza. it might be hard to find but its really good. also there vegan ice cream is AMAZING!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
10 Clever Clothing Hacks You Should Know
Can Your Shoe Addiction Help Beat Breast Cancer?
80% of Women Wear the Wrong Size Bra! Are You?
13 Items Under $100 to Complete Your Fall Wardrobe
5 Ways To Wear Leather Shorts For Fall
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...