A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: American Apparel Thigh High Socks for Thunder Thighs!  (Read 44481 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008 02:34:10 AM »

Maybe this is way out there, but a pair of garters to hold them up would be kind of sexy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keena
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008 08:28:25 AM »

girl, garters dont work in my favor. i have a high jacked booty and the straps in the back cant even go pass my butt even when the strap is lengthened Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008 11:44:49 AM »

Maybe sewing a piece of elastic would do the trick, if it wasn't too tight, just tight enough to hold them up. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keena
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008 01:54:15 PM »

yeah, elastic is what i've been having in mind. i just gotta wrap my head around on how to sew this freggin sock!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008 05:52:01 AM »

Just be sure you use a wide elastic 1 1/2 " or wider if you can find it, so it doesn't cut into your legs.  I wouldn't encase the elastic, but topstitch it to the inside of the legs.

I'm thinking for trying to sew some of these socks myself....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds
Keena
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008 02:48:49 PM »

ladies, my hunt is still going strong!!

i went to sewingpatterns.com and saw a pattern for fleece socks. one by Green Pepper and another by Jalie

searched on youtube and found this vid by Jalie on how to sew up the sock using the pattern : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRxt1Bonwhk  <---- looks easy peasy!

i aint gunna spend over $10 to buy the pattern from sewingpatterns.com, however i'm highly considering on going to my local joanns and hoping they have the Green Pepper pattern and use my Joann's coupon

THENNNNN

i'm gunna look at my leggings pattern (McCall's 5394 i believe) and see what the measurements look like for the thigh part and just combine the pattern

ORRRRRR i'm gunna draft a sock like it was suggested from this site (http://www.theconversationcafe.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11011.html) and see what happens

overall, i dont wanna use stretch fleece. but fleece doesnt seem that expensive to not experiment with

i dont know where i could find the exact fabric content that basic white socks are made out of. i know its ribbed knit, but i thought maybe its a rougher texture.  Huh

any [more] thoughts ladies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clothesgirl
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008 08:53:32 PM »

Okay, a last minute post!!  I just bought a fabulous pair of thigh high fishnets, and then remembered that I didn't have a garter belt.  So I used what holds the universe together:  That's right, ladies, I busted out the duct tape Smiley  Now, I was wearing a dress, so I didn't need to hide it, but if you were wearing socks, you could just do a little tape loop for the front and back of each, and you'd be golden.

My other thought for this experiment is Ribbing.  It's the stuff they use at the necklines and wrists of sweatshirts.  It's basically a heavy, stretchy knit.  I will first point out that it is a *wee* bit expensive, but you can buy it knit as a tube, so you wouldn't have a back seam, just the hem. Also, you could just use it for the top couple of inches, and use the stretchy fleece for the socks.

Please post pics when you are done, I can't wait to see what they look like!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coming through the window, head on your pillow, the sight is honey for my mind girl and I've been digging, ever deeper, this love gets easier the more it's sung to, the more it rings true, the more I find the breath to help sing with these miner's lungs...
SRB
misplacedhippie
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008 07:27:39 AM »

Hips and Curves http://www.hipsandcurves.com/ plus size lingerie.  they have EVERYTHING in some really well endowed sizes - I actually got something that was to big!  (NEVER EVER happens to me)  I found this site working on my costume for the Rocky Horror Picture show. I did however have to reienforce my garter clips, they were cheep plastic and broke almost immediately, but I took a pair of the elastic bands that snug bedsheets (they have metal clips at the ends, and elastic between to hold the sheet on the bed) died them black, sewed lace and ribbon to them and attached to my garter belt - they work like a champ, look exactly like garter clips, just industrial, still look small on me, and have been used to drive the men wild.  Wink

On another note - the socks.  I knit thigh High socks, following a regular thigh high pattern - except one thing, where the pattern said cast on 90 stitches on size 3 needles, I cast the 90 stitches on a size 8 needle.  this made the top of the sock the size of a hat! which fit around my leg.  I then worked the pattern as written.  I did try it on ALOT to make sure the length and decreases were going to work over my legs.  work some elastic (the sticky kind, not the covered kind) into the top, sew it in, or get garter clips.  I think i used the thigh high sock on Knitty.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
Keena
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008 09:31:27 AM »

i dont know what size you are, but hips and curves run small (based on their size chart)

actually, when i initially posed this question, i started crocheting a thigh high sock (i'm not a knitter)

and i stopped because i had a feeling that it wasn't gunna work, like it was gunna be too thick for my desire
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misplacedhippie
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008 06:34:52 PM »

Really!? small?  I am a 3x queen in stockings, and I believe about a 5x in the other stuff  (Jeans size 24, shirt size 20/22; true pear shape)(i dont get bras there 38 DDD or 38 F depending on cut tho)  I do admit I ordered about two years ago, and the site was a bit different.  try google (I have found some very large kinky stuff that way)

For the crochet - i know this would suck, but try smaller.  It looks like you have a regular DK weight there in your sample, go with a baby or lace weight and try a swatch, start at the top if you dont like it you can add a little lace and have a garter, which can be quite sexy. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008 06:36:25 PM by misplacedhippie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Brow Buddy Shapes Up Your Bushy Brows
How To Get Fuller-Looking Lips Using Makeup
Serein Wu: My Week in Beauty Challenge Part 3
Serein Wu: My Week in Beauty Challenge Part 2
Serein Wu: My Week in Beauty Challenge Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...