A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,787
Currently Running With Scissors:
673 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: American Apparel Thigh High Socks for Thunder Thighs!  (Read 43530 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dirtyrouge
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010 12:44:58 PM »

i have spent my whole life trying to figure out this exact same thing! well, no, that's a lie. but i did think to myself 'i need some thigh high socks that fit me' at least twice and i, too, do not get along with garter belts. i think some sort of wide elastic at the top would work, but i guess it would have to be a specific kind to not slide off. also i think the sock itself should be of a lycra-type fabric so it wont lose shape when stretched!

if any of you ladies figures out how to make this work, i would love to hear about it and maybe see a picture or two?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010 02:33:22 AM »

rubber tension tape might work, I'm sure you can get it in clear as well as coloured.

or Gripper elastic?
http://www.truetrim.com/shop/system/detailimage?sessid=ISUn97ZRtFHeXk5s7Srs6xeqgpavl9uCwIDQNihq9u96N6ZJwHOQW7tKRaAYAI2l&shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3D1504%26position%3Dposition1%26

http://www.truetrim.com/shop/article_1504/25mm-

i know that's a British site, but you might find something similar..... i forgot to check your location lol!!!

like brokenporcelaindoll  I'm short and chubbly too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah_
Can't cook.

Sew lost.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010 08:29:41 PM »

I have the sort of calves where I can't pull normal socks up all the way without having them look all stretched out and wonky. I'm scared of those American Apparel ones and I really wanna see what you come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're just closer to me when you fall.
Mableheartscharlie
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010 09:44:27 PM »

Any updates on this? This something i want to try for sure...

Thoughts: Could you get the black ribbing for the sock bit (who says they can't be tube socks?) and for the white 'athletic stripes' why not have that as exposed elastic? Kill 2 birds with one stone... that's like 3 bands of elastic to hold them up and also deals with the stripes... This mind you from the girl who sews trial and error, not to sure if this actually feasible... sounds good though in my head haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
Keena
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010 07:13:03 PM »

i cant believe this thread is still going. due to my procrastination and other incessant projects i haven't even touched this thigh high socks project yet. However i'm happy to read all of the suggestions and ideas cuz i'm soaking it all in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreamstrings
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010 03:05:15 PM »

You know, the biggest issue that I find with any sort of over-the-knee sock is that they want to bind up and roll down.  This is a really great project because there seems to be such a small niche for bigger women, despite how many of us there are. =(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MNR
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010 12:34:49 PM »

Learn to knit. Size 1-4 DPNs. Learn a toe up pattern.
I have been looking for good sock yarn, sport yarn, or even worsted weight yarn, in elastic cotton, wool, silk (yeah right!) or bamboo blend. It helps to have nylon over 2%. It is very hard finding ones that aren't $10 and striped.

I'm really upset at how expensive just getting some cotton or wool is. Ok... $5 of 2oz of yarn will cover maybe... mid calf? And 8 skeins for both?

Acrylic will be horrible though, or so I hear. If we don't use it for socks, wouldn't use it for thigh highs. I get much sweatage on the feet and calves. If you have sweatage between the legs, that might be very bad choice. (late spring, summer, early fall).

Last but not least, to keep them up, perhaps consider elastic at the top, covered in fabric. Or you could wear garter belt.
The thigh highs I have have latexy rings so that they stick to the skin. And then they also lace up like mini-corsets.

Or, I don't know. You could try jersey, with two seams. I've always been thinking of that.

Ebay is a great place to find plus sized lingerie and leg gear.
Have to ship them in fron Hong Kong though. Look on plus sized lingerie websites too.
Ebay is where I got my corsets. Plastic boning, but they really look good. And this same place had thigh highs with bows on them (also do want). So they must have similar styles.
Search for "thigh high stockings #X". (Replace #).

Btw those stockings look AWESOME. I want, I want.

Dreamstrings:
Hot topic is an enemy of plus sized girls.
Bought kneehighs and thigh highs there. Said it was 1x and one size fits all. They LIE. They lied to me. And that's how I knew the world was cruel.
These stockings had little black hearts down the front. And looked so creamy and smooth and cute and sexy. But I couldn't get them past midthigh.
Gonna try some modification with that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Evolution Trailer
Are Your Feet Ready For Spring?
Solutions to the Biggest Beauty Problems
Homemade Solutions for Stretch Marks That Works
Timing Is Everything: Make the Most of Beauty Products
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...