A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: American Apparel Thigh High Socks for Thunder Thighs!  (Read 37998 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Keena
« on: October 22, 2008 02:44:46 PM »

i LOOOVE these socks! i think it'd look HOT on my luscious thunder thighs....  Cheesy

however it's obvious that it wouldn't fit a plus sized woman.

i started to crochet some, but i know that it's not gunna be the same. any of you ladies might know where i can find a pattern, tutorial or similar fabric to get the same affect to fit my thighs?

i'm a size 26/28 (height 5'5) and these are my thighs (LOL)

any suggestions? it seems fairly easy but i dont know where to start!!! Sad

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mienna
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008 07:10:58 PM »

My Mom and I were looking at these, 'cause it just seems easier to buy 'em. I hope this is ok to post on here, lol.
http://stores.ebay.com/Sams-Sock-Shop
He/She has plus size thigh high socks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keena
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008 07:30:53 PM »

awesome! thank you!
i'm gunna email them and ask whats the stretch in inches!
THANK YOU!!! x947593847534058340
THIS ROCKS   Logged

timid_gothica

I will spray paint your face!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008 08:26:31 PM »

you are amazing! I have not seen those before, but fell in love as soon as I saw them. I don't have any patterns, but I think that doing a pattern for leggings or cigarette pants could work of you just added feet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat shit and die
- Hunter S. Thompson

my etsy!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5779650
Keena
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008 08:43:53 AM »

^ not a bad idea. its just the matter of which fabric would i use and how can i make it stay up on my thighs.. elastic thread maybe?? *shrugs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naggie_maggie
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008 11:54:18 PM »

You would probably want a fabric that has at least a little bit of lycra in it so they won't get all stretched out while you're wearing them.

maybe to make it stay up you could sew elastic (probably needs to be a little bit wide and kind of soft) to the top edge then turn it down to the inside of the sock? kind of like a built in garter at the top. If you didn't mind the top edge not being plain you could use a stretch lace to finish it or maybe a ribbed knit cuff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keena
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008 09:40:25 AM »

^ great idea!
i was also thinking about making a banded top to it.. and possibly putting in a "drawstring" (more like satin ribbon) in it just in case it might slide down

right now i'm just imagining making it like some leggings. i just gotta "draft" how to make the foot part so it wont look so awkward...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ShellieRadz
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008 05:10:26 AM »

I have no idea how to make them, I just wanted to say that I wish my thighs looked that good!
Love to see what you come up with!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hoping to open my own Etsy store next year. Love creating clothes for my 2yr old Princess and myself.
Keena
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008 03:54:42 PM »

lol, thx shellie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saphyre

I love my new pink hair!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008 08:14:11 PM »

I'm in the process of making a duct tape leg form, hopefully this will be an easier way to make my own stockings and such. I really wanna make these in clear vinyl; http://www.yandy.com/Vinyl-Lace-Up-Back-Leggings.php      
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2008 02:34:10 AM »

Maybe this is way out there, but a pair of garters to hold them up would be kind of sexy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keena
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2008 08:28:25 AM »

girl, garters dont work in my favor. i have a high jacked booty and the straps in the back cant even go pass my butt even when the strap is lengthened Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2008 11:44:49 AM »

Maybe sewing a piece of elastic would do the trick, if it wasn't too tight, just tight enough to hold them up. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Keena
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2008 01:54:15 PM »

yeah, elastic is what i've been having in mind. i just gotta wrap my head around on how to sew this freggin sock!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008 05:52:01 AM »

Just be sure you use a wide elastic 1 1/2 " or wider if you can find it, so it doesn't cut into your legs.  I wouldn't encase the elastic, but topstitch it to the inside of the legs.

I'm thinking for trying to sew some of these socks myself....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keena
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008 02:48:49 PM »

ladies, my hunt is still going strong!!

i went to sewingpatterns.com and saw a pattern for fleece socks. one by Green Pepper and another by Jalie

searched on youtube and found this vid by Jalie on how to sew up the sock using the pattern : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRxt1Bonwhk  <---- looks easy peasy!

i aint gunna spend over $10 to buy the pattern from sewingpatterns.com, however i'm highly considering on going to my local joanns and hoping they have the Green Pepper pattern and use my Joann's coupon

THENNNNN

i'm gunna look at my leggings pattern (McCall's 5394 i believe) and see what the measurements look like for the thigh part and just combine the pattern

ORRRRRR i'm gunna draft a sock like it was suggested from this site (http://www.theconversationcafe.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-11011.html) and see what happens

overall, i dont wanna use stretch fleece. but fleece doesnt seem that expensive to not experiment with

i dont know where i could find the exact fabric content that basic white socks are made out of. i know its ribbed knit, but i thought maybe its a rougher texture.  Huh

any [more] thoughts ladies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

clothesgirl
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008 08:53:32 PM »

Okay, a last minute post!!  I just bought a fabulous pair of thigh high fishnets, and then remembered that I didn't have a garter belt.  So I used what holds the universe together:  That's right, ladies, I busted out the duct tape Smiley  Now, I was wearing a dress, so I didn't need to hide it, but if you were wearing socks, you could just do a little tape loop for the front and back of each, and you'd be golden.

My other thought for this experiment is Ribbing.  It's the stuff they use at the necklines and wrists of sweatshirts.  It's basically a heavy, stretchy knit.  I will first point out that it is a *wee* bit expensive, but you can buy it knit as a tube, so you wouldn't have a back seam, just the hem. Also, you could just use it for the top couple of inches, and use the stretchy fleece for the socks.

Please post pics when you are done, I can't wait to see what they look like!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coming through the window, head on your pillow, the sight is honey for my mind girl and I've been digging, ever deeper, this love gets easier the more it's sung to, the more it rings true, the more I find the breath to help sing with these miner's lungs...
SRB
misplacedhippie
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008 07:27:39 AM »

Hips and Curves http://www.hipsandcurves.com/ plus size lingerie.  they have EVERYTHING in some really well endowed sizes - I actually got something that was to big!  (NEVER EVER happens to me)  I found this site working on my costume for the Rocky Horror Picture show. I did however have to reienforce my garter clips, they were cheep plastic and broke almost immediately, but I took a pair of the elastic bands that snug bedsheets (they have metal clips at the ends, and elastic between to hold the sheet on the bed) died them black, sewed lace and ribbon to them and attached to my garter belt - they work like a champ, look exactly like garter clips, just industrial, still look small on me, and have been used to drive the men wild.  Wink

On another note - the socks.  I knit thigh High socks, following a regular thigh high pattern - except one thing, where the pattern said cast on 90 stitches on size 3 needles, I cast the 90 stitches on a size 8 needle.  this made the top of the sock the size of a hat! which fit around my leg.  I then worked the pattern as written.  I did try it on ALOT to make sure the length and decreases were going to work over my legs.  work some elastic (the sticky kind, not the covered kind) into the top, sew it in, or get garter clips.  I think i used the thigh high sock on Knitty.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
Keena
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008 09:31:27 AM »

i dont know what size you are, but hips and curves run small (based on their size chart)

actually, when i initially posed this question, i started crocheting a thigh high sock (i'm not a knitter)

and i stopped because i had a feeling that it wasn't gunna work, like it was gunna be too thick for my desire
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misplacedhippie
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008 06:34:52 PM »

Really!? small?  I am a 3x queen in stockings, and I believe about a 5x in the other stuff  (Jeans size 24, shirt size 20/22; true pear shape)(i dont get bras there 38 DDD or 38 F depending on cut tho)  I do admit I ordered about two years ago, and the site was a bit different.  try google (I have found some very large kinky stuff that way)

For the crochet - i know this would suck, but try smaller.  It looks like you have a regular DK weight there in your sample, go with a baby or lace weight and try a swatch, start at the top if you dont like it you can add a little lace and have a garter, which can be quite sexy. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008 06:36:25 PM by misplacedhippie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/misplacedhippie

Desperately seeking Beatles Fabric (found at some walmarts).  Will trade/send money/ Send Elvis Fabric (what my walmart has). PM me! Please!
Keena
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008 02:52:38 PM »

girl, i did complete the ribbing to fit around the thigh and a lil bit of the leg (like 5 inches in) then i stopped. i'm not gunna agonize myself doing such project crocheted, i dont have the patience Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ima Proud MCRmy Girl
Black Parade

MCR in my veins & Persocom ears on my head

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009 11:00:28 PM »

I have the same problem...I hope you were able to get what you wanted....btw you are too cute lol sorry just had to add that XD 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do or die, you'll never make me
Because the world will never take my heart
Go and try, you'll never break me
We want it all, we wanna play this part
I won't explain or say I'm sorry
I'm unashamed, I'm gonna show my scar
Give a cheer for all the broken
Listen here, because it's who we are
Keena
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009 07:43:06 PM »

aw thx!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009 03:37:18 PM »

Ok, for starters- I feel you. Seriously. I have a serious booty and thunder thighs (like 30"!) myself. Purchased garters never work for me, even from Lane B or other plus size places because the strap will never go over my rear and stay snapped in place. My suggestion, make one yourself or alter the straps on one that the waist fits. Garter belts and stockings are too sexy on ample bootied babes not to have some. But I digress...

I've bought plus size thigh high socks that actually fit my ginormous thighs from sockdreams.com, but they don't have the kind you're looking for. I'm just saying, they have cute stuff is all.

As for your sports socks, I'd try the white ribbing, although it can be kinda expensive, and I'd sew elastic under the stripes as well as at the top. Just don't make your elastic too tight- that makes it curl down and roll away (so annoying!).  Don't most men's sock have a fold-over on the top anyway? Or a thicker area.... I don't remember right now.
I'm not sure if they'll stay up without garters, but if you do extra elastic bands if might. I think they'd be super hot if you can get them made and I'd love to see pics. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
TheDIYninja

I'm the weird mom all the soccer moms look at

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009 05:26:36 AM »

hmm as another plus sized woman... i wonder if buying two pairs and sewing them together would work?

Don't think im about to measure my thighs! LOL Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it comes without cussing.. it's not worth doing... at least thats what I &*^%ing say!

http://thediyninja.blogspot.com
My Twitter
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009 02:40:45 PM »

hmm as another plus sized woman... i wonder if buying two pairs and sewing them together would work?

Hmm...that's a pretty good idea, actually!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keena
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009 01:58:58 PM »

i actually bought the american apparel socks to try them on. of course they don't fit my thighs (more like knee hi's on me).

then i bought the sock pattern from Green Pepper to see if i can test sew them up in fleece. i'm lazy, so i haven't done any sock sewing to test this all out..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2009 02:59:52 PM »

I'd love to see how it works out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mocka_moo
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010 12:21:31 AM »

OMG I am soooo anxious to see what you came up with Keena... I am extra tall & thick.... 6'3 225lbs size 16 and I love these socks but... with a 41 inch inseam the come just above the knee (NO LIE) LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wowzers...
My Wists: http://www.wists.com/Mocka
brokenporcelaindoll
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010 07:21:19 AM »

This a SERIOUSLY sexy project and I am dying to see how it turns out!

I love thigh high socks but have the twin devils of awesome thunder thighs and being a Stumpy McStumperton, so shop-bought high socks always end up too tight at the thigh and, if I can get them all the way up, about 6 inches too long!

If this project works out I may just have to shamelessly copy you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally have a wist!

http://www.wists.com/BunnyMaz
dirtyrouge
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010 12:44:58 PM »

i have spent my whole life trying to figure out this exact same thing! well, no, that's a lie. but i did think to myself 'i need some thigh high socks that fit me' at least twice and i, too, do not get along with garter belts. i think some sort of wide elastic at the top would work, but i guess it would have to be a specific kind to not slide off. also i think the sock itself should be of a lycra-type fabric so it wont lose shape when stretched!

if any of you ladies figures out how to make this work, i would love to hear about it and maybe see a picture or two?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2010 02:33:22 AM »

rubber tension tape might work, I'm sure you can get it in clear as well as coloured.

or Gripper elastic?
http://www.truetrim.com/shop/system/detailimage?sessid=ISUn97ZRtFHeXk5s7Srs6xeqgpavl9uCwIDQNihq9u96N6ZJwHOQW7tKRaAYAI2l&shop_param=cid%3D1%26aid%3D1504%26position%3Dposition1%26

http://www.truetrim.com/shop/article_1504/25mm-

i know that's a British site, but you might find something similar..... i forgot to check your location lol!!!

like brokenporcelaindoll  I'm short and chubbly too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sarah_
Can't cook.

Sew lost.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010 08:29:41 PM »

I have the sort of calves where I can't pull normal socks up all the way without having them look all stretched out and wonky. I'm scared of those American Apparel ones and I really wanna see what you come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You're just closer to me when you fall.
Mableheartscharlie
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2010 09:44:27 PM »

Any updates on this? This something i want to try for sure...

Thoughts: Could you get the black ribbing for the sock bit (who says they can't be tube socks?) and for the white 'athletic stripes' why not have that as exposed elastic? Kill 2 birds with one stone... that's like 3 bands of elastic to hold them up and also deals with the stripes... This mind you from the girl who sews trial and error, not to sure if this actually feasible... sounds good though in my head haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm one crafty bitch.
Keena
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010 07:13:03 PM »

i cant believe this thread is still going. due to my procrastination and other incessant projects i haven't even touched this thigh high socks project yet. However i'm happy to read all of the suggestions and ideas cuz i'm soaking it all in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dreamstrings
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010 03:05:15 PM »

You know, the biggest issue that I find with any sort of over-the-knee sock is that they want to bind up and roll down.  This is a really great project because there seems to be such a small niche for bigger women, despite how many of us there are. =(
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MNR
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2010 12:34:49 PM »

Learn to knit. Size 1-4 DPNs. Learn a toe up pattern.
I have been looking for good sock yarn, sport yarn, or even worsted weight yarn, in elastic cotton, wool, silk (yeah right!) or bamboo blend. It helps to have nylon over 2%. It is very hard finding ones that aren't $10 and striped.

I'm really upset at how expensive just getting some cotton or wool is. Ok... $5 of 2oz of yarn will cover maybe... mid calf? And 8 skeins for both?

Acrylic will be horrible though, or so I hear. If we don't use it for socks, wouldn't use it for thigh highs. I get much sweatage on the feet and calves. If you have sweatage between the legs, that might be very bad choice. (late spring, summer, early fall).

Last but not least, to keep them up, perhaps consider elastic at the top, covered in fabric. Or you could wear garter belt.
The thigh highs I have have latexy rings so that they stick to the skin. And then they also lace up like mini-corsets.

Or, I don't know. You could try jersey, with two seams. I've always been thinking of that.

Ebay is a great place to find plus sized lingerie and leg gear.
Have to ship them in fron Hong Kong though. Look on plus sized lingerie websites too.
Ebay is where I got my corsets. Plastic boning, but they really look good. And this same place had thigh highs with bows on them (also do want). So they must have similar styles.
Search for "thigh high stockings #X". (Replace #).

Btw those stockings look AWESOME. I want, I want.

Dreamstrings:
Hot topic is an enemy of plus sized girls.
Bought kneehighs and thigh highs there. Said it was 1x and one size fits all. They LIE. They lied to me. And that's how I knew the world was cruel.
These stockings had little black hearts down the front. And looked so creamy and smooth and cute and sexy. But I couldn't get them past midthigh.
Gonna try some modification with that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways To Wear a Cape
How To Wear Skirts Over Pants
Has Halloween Gotten Too Sexy?
From the Vogue Closet - The Perfect Fall Cardigan
Jeanius - Grace Fuller on the Perfect Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...