A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,532
Currently Running With Scissors:
436 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Travel Scrapbook in Progress (updated with many pictures)  (Read 2390 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Samanpka
« on: August 04, 2009 07:14:04 PM »

Hi, I just thought I'd share some images of my travel scrapbook, which is in the early stages of development. I haven't made a scrapbook since my pre-teen days, so any tips would be appreciated. I intend to write a lot on most of these pages, which explains the many blank spaces!

Front Cover:

Silly title page:

The next two pages face one another, pictures from the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum:

Background for pictures of the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland:

The next pages are all from Berlin, and the first two face each other:

So far my only page for Munich:

Sets of facing pages for Florence - the colours are all wrong, really the orange should be yellow and the grey/green on the later 2 pages should be blue:

The picture of the Ponte Vecchio bridge was adapted from something I found online, but unfortunately I forget the website.

So far my only page for Rome:

I printed the background off of http://www.scrapbookscrapbook.com/travel-italy.html which contains lots of useful images, although the European travel images were the only ones I really liked.

Houses in Amsterdam made out of cut paper. The cardstock is slightly bowed in this picture, but will look better once it's flattened against the page I hope.

Cut paper images of an oil lamp and nargile, to be used with pictures from Istanbul:

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009 02:50:15 PM by Samanpka » THIS ROCKS   Logged

1toughcookie984

This is my ambigram tattoo ... and yes, it hurt!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009 11:13:42 AM »

This stuff is amazing! I love scrapbooking and I wish I had this much talent!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hope is a thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without words
And never stops at all.
- Emily Dickinson
Samanpka
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009 03:09:25 PM »

Thanks so much! I should admit that this stuff didn't take as much talent as it may appear. The image of the Duomo was something I found online, edited to make it a bit cleaner, and then printed onto some fancy paper. The other pen and ink drawings are actually traced, so anyone with a steady hand and a little (in some cases a lot of) patience could do something similar. What I did was take pictures, drag them into Microsoft word, adjust them to be the size I'd want them on my page (doesn't matter if the image is low quality, it just needs to be mostly recognizable so you can trace its basic outlines - increasing the contrast before printing helps with this), and print them off. Next, I drew on top of the printed images with pencil and traced the basic lines of the image, drawing with very heavy lines of graphite so I could transfer the image onto my scrapbook page. It's a very simple technique that has a million uses. All you have to do once you've traced the image is turn the printed paper over so the graphite is facing your scrapbook page, and shade over the back of it vigorously so that the graphite is transferred to the blank facing page. Then you can draw over these faint lines with ink, and erase the pencil marks once the ink has dried.

For the lettering, just print out the words in a font you like, but be sure to print it backwards as your traced image will be reversed. Trace the outline of the letters, and then crosshatch or whatever within this outline, erasing the pencil once you've finished. I find that this is a good way to avoid using storebought letters, which I think make a page less personal. I'm trying to complete this scrapbook with only a minimal amount of storebought supplies, so any tips you may have would be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skippityskipskipskip
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009 11:32:37 AM »

That's going to be a gorgeous book!  I'm printing out your Amsterdam house-line for my inspirations file.  :-)  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009 02:13:18 PM »

That's really cute!  I swear, I have pics of the very same views of the Ponte Vecchio and the Duomo. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
blai
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009 08:08:38 PM »

I love your drawings.
They are so beautiful.
Wish I can draw.. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010 01:57:10 AM »

That's looking great! I've got bits and pieces of my future travel scrapbook lined up, and this will be one my my inspirations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Food Festivals Survival Guide
How to Make Homemade Apple Sauce
How to Roast Chestnuts
Chipotle Braised Lamb Shanks Recipe
Organic Farming in Scott Arkansas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...