A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beaded embroidery??  (Read 1500 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aprilkiss
« on: March 03, 2005 08:36:16 AM »

i am going to try some beaded embroidery, and was wondering what sort of needle to use...any suggestions??
not sure whether this thread should be in 'beads' or 'embroidery'... Huh
also, any suggestions for books for an absolute beginner??
cheers.thanks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.zeldasfitz.blogspot.com
"papa was a rodeo,
mama was a rock n roll band..."
BrandieGurl28
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005 02:35:09 AM »

depending on the size of the bead.
when i do it with seed beads i use a regular hand sewing needle, because theyre the only ones thin enough for the beads to fit over
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
cmoore
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005 09:38:30 AM »

With seed beads, I usually use a beading needle that fits whatever size the beads are. Actually I often use beading needles with the other types of beads as well. They are long and flexible with very narrow eyes. I do find that once you get into the 15 sizes the needle threader becomes an absolute necessity.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006 01:49:51 PM »

Can anyone suggest any good, sound, useable books/sources for learning to embroider with beads? 

I'm staring a project that is a gift, and I am feeling VERY insecure.....

Thanks --  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
PimpernelSmith

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006 09:40:02 PM »

please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
Chelsea
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006 01:41:48 PM »

I haven't ever done beaded embroidery, but I have seen instructions...somewhere.  It doesn't look too difficult.  You might even be able to find instructions online, or if you're wanting a book I'd go to the library and see what they have.  that way you'll be able to look at all of them and find one that works for you w/out wasting money on ones that aren't any good.  anytime I want to learn a new craft technique, I end up coming home with 15 books from the library Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006 02:10:59 PM »

Yeah, maybe I should do some online hunting.  Despite having a brilliant public library in all other respects, I have already discovered that they're stock of emboridery texts is utterly lacking in beaded stuff -- lots of ribbon work, but squat-all in beads.  *sigh*

Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chelsea
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006 02:15:22 PM »

I don't know how useful it would be for beginners, but I do remember seeing a beaded cross stitch or beaded embroidery magazine at Barnes and Noble before.  I know other cross stitch magazines have basic instructions in the back of every issue, maybe that'll be the same way.  Much cheaper than a book if you can't find anything online.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SlickMariaVic
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006 02:46:20 PM »

I have this one really awesome book called Embeadery.  It takes all kinds of embroidery stitches and breaks them down so you can do them entirely out of beads. Feather, Backstitch, Buttonhole etc.  Im not sure if thats exactly what your looking for but Id recommend it, its very easy to follow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That which is creative must create itself -" Keats

Pinterest
http://pinterest.com/slickmariavic/
PimpernelSmith

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006 05:05:31 PM »

I have this one really awesome book called Embeadery.  It takes all kinds of embroidery stitches and breaks them down so you can do them entirely out of beads. Feather, Backstitch, Buttonhole etc.  Im not sure if thats exactly what your looking for but Id recommend it, its very easy to follow.

Oooo Shocked  -- that is one that I saw on amazon.com, but could not find at the library or at B&N to look at.  Is it laid out well for easy use?  And does is have all the practicle tips I would so need?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play D Major Scale on the Violin
How to Play A String Notes on the Violin
2009 Holiday Baeble Music Indie Music Special
The Worst Cover Songs Ever
David Garrett Interview
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...